Random Thoughts on Video Games

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Ringo, Sep 12, 2010.

1. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Several of those games are on PC you know and Ninja Gaiden II is even better on PS3 :)

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking of gaming in terms of consoles since I never game on my Mac... the last PC games I played were the old Sierra games like Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry etc.

And I'm talking about Ninja Gaiden II, not Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

3. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma II is Ninja Gaiden II with more levels!

4. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After hating the mp demo for Crysis 2 I'm really surprised just how much I am digging the real thing. It does take a fee rounds to get a hang of the suit but once ya do the game definitely works. If yr looking to buy or rent a shooter in the near future get this over homefront.

5. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Mass laddering this weekend ahead of Starcraft 2's reset on Tuesday.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been playing a lot of downloadable titles lately. ilomilo is the latest and it's got me hooked, there are some really great puzzles in the game.

I've got that and the newest DLC for Assasin's Creed Brotherhood waiting to be played. Other than that nothing really interests me until LA Noire comes out.

7. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I really wanted to check out LA Noire while I was at PAX, but the lines for it were literally 90+ minutes. Third longest line of the weekend after Star Wars: TOR and Portal 2.

Most recent purchases on my end were Dragon Age 2, Shogun 2: Total War, and Homefront. The first two were enjoyable, Homefront sucked. Looking forward to next week's Mass Effect 2 DLC.

8. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    IL-2 Sturmovik: The cliffs of dover is coming out next week.

MY FAPPING ARM IS READY!

9. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Wish I could have gone to PAX.

By the time I made the call all the one day tickets were sold though.

MLB The Show 2011 might be my favorite sports game ever.

10. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Crysis 2 is pretty flipping good. I'm super impressed with how well it runs on my rather old PC. I can run it on the lowest settings, which still look amazing at points, at a very nice 30-40fps.

11. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Terrans are overpowered. That is all.

12. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    As a human being, I am delighted that we are smiting the alien threat.

13. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My life for Aiur!

14. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Q: Why did the Colossus fall over?

A: Because it was imbalanced

:p

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just installed age of empires 2. copyright 1999. size on disk = 330mb... and about 150mb of that is for the opening cinematic bit.

16. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nobody wants to comment on this? disappointing. surely someone on here has something interesting to say about the game.

17. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    What can you say? It's 12 years old and a pretty enjoyable game. The RTS genre has moved on to bigger and better things though.

18. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Protoss are more or less balanced around Colossi, though. Barracks units (especially Marauders) will shred Gateway units without Colossus support, as will Hydralisks.

Personally, as a 'toss player, I kinda hate the fact that we're so dependent on Gateway/Colossus play. Our other tier 3 units simply aren't that good - High Templars take too long to be useful after the Amulet nerf, and there really is no safe way to tech to Carriers. I'd love to incorporate some more unit diversity into my play, but it's simply not worth it given the state of 'toss at the moment.

19. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Ummm....Age of Empires III was a disappointment? :eek:

20. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Total War you mean...and that's pretty much it.

21. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Total War is turn based. I meant Company of Heroes and Dawn of War

22. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Not in battle mode. Offers a much better strategic side to it than the C&Cs of today, who btw, haven't changed their formula that much. It's even slightly dumb to be honest.

23. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Get off C&C then. C&C3, Red Alert 3 and Starcraft 2 are specifically designed to be old school.

Try World in Conflict, Company of Heroes or Dawn of War 2 for new ideas in RTS.

And Total War hasn't changed since forever either.

24. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Just the simple fact that you mentioned CoH or Dawn of War it should make you blush. If you don't see any similarity of the old school ones...

World in Conflict feels and is too arcadey. Remember Close Combat? It offered a much more realistic and interesting approach to it than this game could ever do with its "visually stunning effects". You should also try to compare the features that one had when in comparison to the other and list what is missing to make WiC more challenging - note: it's endless. I'm really not blasting balls here, the AI back then was pretty impressive considering everything you could do with each unit and manoeuver each squad respectively to be successful. Morale also played a big role if your units followed your orders or not.
    Bottom line: the game has oversimplistic gameplay; CQB battles between armor is amazingly ridiculous and unrealistic; too much emphasis on armor in detriment of infantry (whhyyy?) because it proportionate eyecandy blasts; numerical advantage still plays a role like in old school.

I know I often sound like a jackass in the Videogames section, but it beats me how people can be satisfied with so little and judge equally poor. I can even understand console gamers since that's what they've always known - and it's getting better, but PC community has no excuse in accepting stagnation and poor creativity (even it's dumbed down because of consoles). We still are in the frontline of demanding games but hell, the industry has really slowed us down in the past years...

25. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Because not everyone is completely interested in one hundred precent realistic accuracy. World of Conflict, Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 are fun. I'm sorry if the bullet trajectories or morale systems aren't based on army training manuals.

I play games for fun not to prepare for ROTC.

I fail to see why you can't just accept that people have differing tastes in videogaming and your opinion is not gospel.

(And really, if you're getting smacked around by tanks as infantry in WiC, you really need to learn how to use them right.)

Besides, if you want realism Theater of War 3: Korea just came out.