Random Thoughts on Video Games

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Ringo, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'll just leave this here...

[ame="http://www.giantbomb.com/we-dare-you-to-watch-this-amazing-video/17-3832/"]We Dare You To Watch This Amazing Video - Giant Bomb[/ame]

2. invisible_shadow

Jul 15, 2007
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Can NOT wait..looks amazing....!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV2Jx4AQWeQ"]YouTube - NEW The Elder Scrolls 5 - Skyrim gameplay trailer[/ame]

3. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I think that's an actual game commercial :eek:

5. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah just watched that one. Insane! I originally saw the one Ryan Davis tweeted done in slow mo with Gary Jules song playing over it.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  7. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If ya have been playing way too many action games may I suggest giving De Blob 2 a spin. I'm about 3 levels in and keep going back from time to time when I'm in the mood for something more laid back to play.

8. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I played De Blob 1 back on teh Wii a couple years back.

It was cool but got to be very repetitive at the end.

9. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not much of a video game guy. The last console I purchased was a Dreamcast which they then discontinued 2 weeks later. Since then, I barely gave a crap.

But I inherited my brother's Xbox 360 ever since he moved to Spain earlier this year. It took me a while before I started playing around with it but man, am I blown away by what this machine can do. I know it sounds silly praising a system that came out a few years ago but I had no clue what this machine can do. I especially enjoyed the fact that I can download old arcade games, so I've found myself playing X-Men the arcade game, TMNT, Golden Axe and etc. My Xbox Live Gold free trial is almost up and am debating whether or not I need it or want it. The only reason I would is for the Netflix but I think I can live without it.

Anyway, right now I'm playing Arkham Asylum which is a sick game. Can't wait for Arkham City to come out. Just wanted to throw some praise onto a great machine.

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about ESPN3? It may not come through in high-def, but I find myself watching Bundesliga and/or Eredivisie matches on the weekend mornings.

11. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Welcome back to the world of video games!!

P.S. Golden Axe was awesome

12. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I get ESPN 3 through my cable provider so I just watch on my laptop. Although I'll be honest, I didn't know there was ESPN 3 on the 360 until you mentioned it.

And, hopefully this isn't a super-annoying, cliched question but what are some of your personal favorites for the 360? I know Arkham Asylum was GOTY. Any other titles worth noting other than Halo? I've played Red Dead Redemption which was fun so I might have to pick that up at some point.

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do as well with Verizon DSL, but surprisingly, I use ESPN3 and Last FM a lot more on my console than my desktop.

Any and all of the Assassin's Creed games (1, 2, and Brotherhood), Forza Motorsport 2 & 3 (driving/racing sims), Battlefield: Bad Company 1 & 2, the Call of Duty games, FIFA 11 (duh :p ), Alan Wake, Gears of War, just to name (more than) a few.

14. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why thank you! A lot has friggin changed since I played these games. Bought a used copy of NHL 10 at Gamestop and returned it the next day. I had no clue how to friggin play.

And yeah, Golden Axe is awesome. I used to play the hell out of it on my Sega Genesis.

15. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    The problem with the 360 is that it has very few exclusives but a lot cross-platform titles.

The only good ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Gears of War and Forza series.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that their console-exclusive titles are limited, but Alan Wake and the Halo series could/should probably be included in that "good ones" category, at least IMO.

17. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I'm still angry that Alan Wake used to be a PC/360 title but then MS got their hands on it and made it 360 only :mad:

18. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the input, guys. Alan Wake has me intrigued as does the Assassin's Creed series. Might have to go to Gamestop and see if they have any cheap copies.

Finally beat Arkham Asylum. I was a bit surprised at how easy it was to beat Titan Joker, granted I had the difficulty setting on Normal. Still, I found it much more of a pain in the ass to beat Killer Croc and Poison Ivy. In the process of going back and trying to find all the remaining stuff. Also, I really suck at the challenges, especially the stealth ones. When I look at the leaderboard and see guys who completed it in 25 secs, it amazes me.

19. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    weird. I had buttloads of trouble with the final joker, but got Croc on the first run. in fact, I'm not sure if I've even actually finished the game and beat the joker. I should check into that. great game, though.

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Just finished played a bit of Total War: Shogun 2. I didn't get too much into it but it feels just like all the other Total War games which is a good thing.

They have introduced RPG mechanics for leaders and Generals as wells as hero units for this version which is a nice new thing.

It has to be said that the art style and music are outstanding they really went all out with it.

21. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have any clue on how to install patches for the Xbox 360? I downloaded the PES 11 patch but I'm totally lost on installing it.

22. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Did you download it yourself or did it just download the patch when you started the game up?

If it just downloaded it when you started the game then you don't need to do anything, it's already patched and done.

23. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Official patch or a fan made patch?

Official patches are done in game, you don't have to download them using outside sources at all.

24. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I should have specified. It's a fan-made patch that has all the kits and team names and etc. I'm trying to figure out how to take my USB drive and download the patch to the game.

25. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the 360 has a lot of good exclusive games, you've got off the top of my head...

Gears of War series
    Halo series
    Alan Wake
    Forza series
    Viva Pinata
    Limbo
    Shadow Complex
    Banjo Kazooie
    Crackdown
    ilomilo
    Fable series
    Infinite Undiscovery
    Trials HD
    Lost Odyssey
    Ninja Gaiden II
    A Kingdom for Keflings
    'Spolsion Man
    Carcassone
    PGR series

Then there are a bunch of Kinect Games like Kinect Sports, Dance Central, etc.

Lastly, there are a bunch of nice XBox Live Arcade game, some I've listed but there are a lot more which are XBox exclusive.