Random Thoughts on Video Games

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Ringo, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to stop playing Resident Evil (the original or 2nd one, can't remember) on PS1 years ago after they showed spider on the wall in the foreground... i had nightmares of it for quite a while...

Alan Wake uses a flashlight as well... very creepy...

In Bioshock, the creepiness was that deep sound of a big daddy echoing in the distance somewhere over my surround sound system... it used to raise every hair on my body...

2. invisible_shadow

Jul 15, 2007
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just beat Assassins Creed Brotherhood...one of the best games by far along with ACII.

3. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Silent Hill 2 had some fearsome moments for me. One in particular.

F.E.A.R. was good in some way, but I always focused my attention on the awsome AI.

And that's it. Most (or perhaps all now) don't cut it for me because the monsters/ghosts/wtv don't articulate in a fluid manner.
    I'm all up for a tense psychological/suspense game. That would be more immersive and frightening than fighting a 3 headed legless bloodied baby with a crowbar.

4. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am somewhere in the 65% completion realm...

Game is seriously overwhelming... too much to do... and the "Truth" ideas are incredible... I am really interested in hearing from someone who considers himself a "conservative," how they felt about the game, because there are so many moments which seem anti-establishment, anti-religion, etc...

5. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I'm going to love that game then. :p (have to wait until it's out for PC)

I think ACII was more of the same though.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    With Dragon Age II a little over a month away, I've started a second playthrough of Dead Space. Perhaps I will buy Dead Space II after finishing it, depending on how much time will be left before DA II.

7. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

If you aren't playing it on Zealot you don't know what fear is:D

Chapters 1-5 were on par for Dead Space 1
    Starting with Chapter 6 specifically the room with the baby hiding in a washing machine, ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!

From that point on every chapter gets tougher and tougher. Aside from limited resources, there are rooms that lack light (the hallway inside the Ishimura comes to mind), there are "Stalkers" which I think you are introduced to in Chapter 7. Wow, you think that first round with them is bad wait till you meet them again I think a chapter or two later, they are everywhere.

I'm near the end of Chapter 13 and it doesn't get any easier.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm at chapter 5 in Dead Space I and I had forgotten just how nerve-wrecking that game could be. It's really all about the music and sounds... Murmurs of voices in the distance, the string section going crescendo as you are nearing danger, ...

9. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Dead Space 2...I'm enjoying the game play even if it does seem a little unfair with the ammo and health drops at times. Have to say, the story is actually pretty weak.

10. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know if Killzone3 will have co-op campaign online? I see it will have couch co-op but haven't read/heard a definitive answer for online co-op.

edit to add: Anyone try out the Dead Space2 multiplayer yet? If so how often have you won as the humans? I played a good number of rounds of the multiplayer over the weekend and probably only won as the humans once and just wondering if that is a fluke or if others had the same experience.

11. churchill2000

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I've won several times as a human. But this depends on your teammates, in this culture of TDM (total death match) most of those who don't read:D the objectives before your game starts assume that the point is to kill humans or necromorphs. The high-levels {cough} realize that to win you have to complete the objectives which can be very easy if the other team treats it as TDM.

I've left several games when I realized that my teammates didn't get the point of the game.

12. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess that explains why the closest I ever got to winning was when I was playing with friends and we talked and worked on completing the objectives. All in all the MP isn't that bad, its not an amazing addition but also isn't terrible.

13. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played some You Don't know Jack over the weekend and it made me curse Microsoft for ending 1vs100. Dang! 1vs100 was an awesome trivia game.

14. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Man, you don't know jack brings back memories. :D

15. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no kidding... i loved that...

17. churchill2000

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    @os_mutante

"Can't repeat the past?"

Course you can-just press restart.

This is great!

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Is it just me or are we in the post-Christmas wasteland in terms of releases? Seems like Dragon Age II will be the first worthwhile release of the year.

Counting the days!

19. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well last year we were spoilt with Mass Effect 2 at the end of January. March has DA2 and DoW: Retribution within the same week but apart from that not much.

Bulletstorm next week but after playing the demo I'm not really too bothered about it.

20. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    What are you talking about man? DAII, Pokemon Black and White, The 3DS, SHOGUN 2 TOTAL WAR, Dawn of War II Retribution, Dead Space 2, Homefront, Bulletstorm. This year is pretty good.

21. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Bulletstorm and Shogun II might be interesting. Dead Space 2 is far overrated and Dragon Age II will be more of the same.

Not that good so far for me.

22. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I hope so cos Dragon Age: Origins was ********ing amazing

23. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Ummm...the main complaint against DAII is that it's too different from DA:O :(

But anyway, here's some more:

Killzone 3, De Blob 2, Fight Night Champion, Magicka, Okamiden, Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed, Crysis 2, Yakuza 4, Jurassic Park the Game, Back to the Future the game

All this shit has come out or will come out before the end of march. There's plenty of games to play!

24. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started playing some Killzone3 last night, jumped right into the multiplayer and really enjoyed myself. I only played some Guerrilla Warfare (team deathmatch) figuring I'd start out with that to get some upgrade points and feel for the layout of the maps but got stuck in a room where people were only voting for two maps and those two were pretty small with tight corridors. I'm hoping when I jump into Warzone I will get to play on some bigger maps.

25. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm looking forward to ShogunII (loved the first one and most total war games) but Bulletstorm looks awful going by the demo and clips I've seen. Stunt shooting as a focus sucks and the multiplayer looks silly with coop stunt shooting. Hopefully it will attract all the kids ("I shot your butt...hehe...durr, you're gay") and in that way help improve all the other shooters out already. There are some interesting looking shooters/action rpg coming out and I haven't tried killzone three yet so that is nice but for now I'll stick with BFBC2. Now if I could just get into more squads with people that use mics and understand that suicidal runs straight into well defended positions are a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Any good open world games coming? I was disappointed to hear that La Noire isn't going to follow the red dead redemption model.