Random Thoughts on Video Games

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Ringo, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's a worse Mass Effect 1 with a Bethesda template imposed on it.

Belgian guy repped this.
  2. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long did the main quest take ya to finish?

3. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    38 ish hours

NORML repped this.
  4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know about Starfield but in Elder Scrolls Online the main quest is only a relatively minor part of the game. I'd estimate probably only 1-2% so I'm not sure what the significance of this matter is to the overall game.

NORML repped this.
  5. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starfield is definitely no different. I was trading stories with a co-worker about the game today and it was all about the different side quests we are playing. In me asking how long it took Juventino to finish the main campaign was simply being curious how long the main quest is.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Still in Act I of BG3. Mostly because I now play in a busy old man tempo of one to two hour sessions, sometimes days apart from each other. :cautious: :oops:

Show Spoiler
    Just did the Githyanki crèche and things are getting tasty in terms of the intrigue.

Bazi repped this.
  7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Finally finished act I. Took around 45+ hours. Yeah, I am moving forward slowly.
    Could have probably done it quicker but chose to do both the Underdark and the Mountain Pass. You really only need to do one of those if you want to move on from Act I quicker. But it's worth doing them both for some nice & unique items you can find in both of those locations.

Bazi repped this.
  8. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In anticipation of the new Alan Wake game I finally am playing the original. Gameplay and graphics hold up surprisingly well considering i own the regular version and not the Remaster.

I just started chapter three of six. Typically not my kind of game but it's fun and I loved the developer's last title "Control" as well as their Max Payne games.

9. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I completed Alan Wakea and its add-on "America's Nightmare". The latter is okay, but the main game is really good. It is really unlike any other game I have played as a blend of genres.

10. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I started Ratched and Clank: Rift Apart on PC.

Absolutely gorgeous and unique game that is markedly different than what I am used to playing.

Also a brilliant PC port. Having a blast so far.

11. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Thats one of those games that makes me wanna buy a PS5. I dont have a good PC.

Bazi repped this.
  12. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I feel like 2D Mario has been revitalised after the entry of Super Mario Wonder. Fantastic and charming game.

13. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was very high on my list of PS5 games I wanted to play and it was 20% off on Steam so I took a chance. I am really having a blast with it.

I think what's so refreshing about it is that it's game game that values my time. Yes, there are optional map areas and collectibles inside the levels but the game doesn't have one of those gigantic open worlds that wastes tens of hours of your time with menial tasks and senseless exploring.

It also has one of the best and most fun weapons selections and weapon progression systems. I am really using 90% of my entire arsenal and the different guns allow for a very diverse gameplay.

Just a 10/10 experience throughout so far (the game says I sit at 62% completion).

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  14. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So I finished the Ratchet and Clank game. Absolutely fantastic. Cannot recommend it enough.

15. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Now hopping over to Alan Wake 2. I can already tell after an hour that this is another absolutely gorgeous game.

Let's hope the story and gameplay will match the game's graphical fidelity.

16. AlessandroMcgrath

AlessandroMcgrath New Member

Nov 28, 2023
    Absolutely agree! Alan Wake 2 looks stunning, right? The visuals can really draw you in. Fingers crossed that the story and gameplay live up to the high standards set by the graphics. It's like the CS2 skins, enhancing the gaming experience.

Bazi repped this.
  17. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Anyone played all the Witcher games?
    Im thinking about playing Witcher 3. Is it vital to play the previous two titles to enjoy the story?

I could see myself playing Witcher 2, because I have it on Steam, but from what I understand Witcher 1 hasnt aged too well.

18. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I played all three games upon release and replayed every title over the last five years.

The Witcher 3 works really well as a standalone game. That said I think the Witcher 2 is still a very good and rewarding game that is in some ways even superior than its successor. It's an open world lite compared to Witcher 3's gigantic open world. However it has the benefit that you get a lot more main story line per hour of gameplay than in W3.

The first game has a very good story and atmosphere but the loading screens, backtracking and combat aged poorly. It's also very long game so I wouldn't recommend bothering with it unless you are a fan of the franchise.

Also the benefit of transferring the Witcher I save file through both sequels is not worth it. The payoff in Witcher 3 is miniscule and you can watch it in a 60 second youtube video. Transferring the Witcher 2 save file to Witcher 3 on the other hand has a much more tangible impact.

I think the Witcher 2 is very much worth playing and it's where I would start, but Witcher 3 does a good job at summarizing the events of the previous game to make it very accessible. So if the second game is just not to your liking, you can skip it.

19. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Havent gotten around to play Witcher yet, but I did start a playthrough Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Ive played some ME before, but never finished the saga.
    Im currently playing the first Mass Effect, and I think Im close to the end.
    Man what a great game. The story, world building, character developent. The scope of the world and story is something we rarely in videogames these days.
    When I go back and play older tittles, I cant help but to feel games used to be better than what is being released today (in some aspects). Certainly the amount of games released that were high quality were more back then.

Seems like there is a bit of a hiatus in the industry between every major release and we dont get the same banger releases in short time spans, that we used to.
    Although thats not something Im particularly sad about, because my gaming backlog is huge lol

Bazi repped this.
  20. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The next game from Ken Levine (Bioshock). Cant wait for his.

Bazi repped this.
  21. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  22. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mass Effect trilogy is very high in the pantheon of video games for me. I even like the contentious third installment.

Mass Effect 2 is definitely a personal contender for video game that entertained me the most.

23. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Out of curiosity, anyone holding on to older consoles?
    Booted up Resistance 1 on the good old PS3 (which I have had for 13-14 years), and while the graphics have aged quite a bit, and gameplay and story is rough around the edges, it is still a fun game.

PS3 might just be my favorite console of all time. I will never part with it. :D

24. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have my father's pong console, a Nintendo 64, a Gameboy and a PS Vita somewhere.

25. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Dang a N64 and Pong eh? Ever play on them? I would imagine not, because those generation of consoles havent aged well imo, with the exception of a handful of games. :D
    I think the oldest console I have is the Original Xbox. There is even a small chance I have a SNES somewhere in my parents storage room, but chances are it got thrown out lol