Random thought on Head Coaches

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ArsenalTexan3, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see no one disagreeing with this. If they do I will direct them to a mosquito infested grassy area near Dragon Stadium where they can do penance.

2. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe they will find Scipio's beer cooler.

3. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cowtown repped this.
  4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it should come as any surprise to anyone who read what I wrote upthread, but my rankings were:

1. Pareja
    2. Dir
    3. Clarke
    4. Morrow
    5. Hyndman

I didn't rank Luchi at all, because his short tenure. But I think he's showing himself to be a competent coach, and I have no objection to my fellow panelists putting him in their rankings.

cowtown repped this.
  5. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was just surprised there wasn't any mention of Morrow, but the two interm gaffers were.

6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, kinda shocking to have Luchi in the top 5 vs a guy who got us to a cup final.

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Morrow's time in charge seems to get forgotten a lot, largely because it was so short -- one season and eight games. But that one season saw FCD make the playoffs, which was kind of a problem for his successor, and make an Open Cup final. I'd really like to know the real story behind his firing, because the generally accepted reason -- losing 5-1 to LA at home in front of a big crowd -- doesn't seem like that great of a reason to fire a coach who had been otherwise OK.

8. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My guess and I don't remember if Buzz speculated it too or not, Hyndman finally told Dan and Clark he was ready to try MLS. They had been begging Hyndman for years and he kept saying no. I wonder what made him change his mind.

9. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    100% this. Hunts had for years had been trying to put an offer on the table to Schellas that helped him feel secure, financially, due to the insane $$ he was making as the coach at SMU (mostly from camps, Nike, etc). It coincided with another season where SMU not just underperformed but missed the tournament and amplified the volume of questions around his long-term run and the growing (and somewhat unpopular) opinion he was no longer "the guy".

he's been a head coach since the late '70s, across three college teams and on pro team. In all that time, he's never won a championship.

cowtown repped this.
  10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I would've thought too, but it was basically a month between Morrow's firing and Hyndman's introduction as head coach. That seems a bit... long.

11. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I'd forgotten that, but IIRC there's a story out there about how SH stalled, almost changed his mind about moving to the pros and eventually - as the story goes - the Hunts upped the deal enough he just couldn't refuse.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't like the guy. I feel like the team in the finals was despite him as he'd never won a title in college despite having the only D1 team in fertile Texas. Cunningham got hot and Hartman was a great keeper. They actually should have won but had bad luck and a ref who favored the tactics of Colorado where another ref might have sent off a player or two of theirs. Luchi has coached about the same as Morrow and I like how they coached even though short and also how forward looking they were. Morrow got stiffed which would have been OK had it been for a good coach.

13. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I saw Buzz mention Morrow is the only sub.500 coach in Burn/FCD history. Short sample size of course, but an interesting nugget.
    Matches W D L Goals Points PPM
    43 16 10 17 58:69 58 1.35

14. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wait, I'm talking about Luchi getting on the list over Morrow. I think you're railing (understandably so) against Schellas in the first part of this post.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's actually Jeffries that's the only sub-.500 coach. That 4-16-4 record when he was fired in 2003 put him underwater overall.

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Morrow got us to a cup final?

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2007 Open Cup final. Lost 3-2 (IIRC) to New England in Frisco.

18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yup, and it was a classic Morrow-era heartbreak...

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't remember that very well for some reason. Must have been one of those spells where I was mad at the FO.

20. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wasn't part of the issue because bus driver was in Europe for Euro 2008?