News: Random Soccer News Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CybrSlydr, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When Columbus hosted some of the 2003 WWC games, some VVVIPs were expected. IIRC, these would have been national-level politicians or people who worked alongside them. In modern stadiums, a tribune of honor across a common concourse wouldn't even be a thing, but it happened at least once in Columbus. Someone in/with the local committee brought in a portable toilet trailer for use only by specific VIP-types.

MLSinCleveland and Bill Archer repped this.
  2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1352 Bill Archer, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    One of the big stumbling blocks in the official FIFA requirements is that each host city have a dedicated highway lane exclusively for their use. The rationale is that team busses and such can't sit in traffic and can't risk running behind schedule.

The fact that these lanes are also available for use by vehicles ( ie limos) bearing a FIFA emblem, so that bigshots, VVIP's and such don't have to sit in traffic either is just a happy coincidence I'm sure

But if you or I try and use said lanes, FIFA wants us arrested. And cities comply.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you're going to have a dedicated lane, why not just get the local authorities to shut down entrance ramps an appropriate amount of time before the buses approach until a few moments after they clear the area? They could have the whole damn freeway and not just one lane.

That might be easier, but also "FIFA gonna FIFA."

MLSinCleveland and Bill Archer repped this.
  4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    HCS hosted a WCQ vs Costa Rica in I think it was 2001. Anyway the President of Costa Rica attended the match and sure enough traffic for us commoners was backed up on I-71.

5. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have a good grip on how well the Browns' stadium can handle VVIPs fairly soon. The new British PM is a huge fan.

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Not that I expect to see her in the dawg pound, but how did Liz Truss become a Browns fan?

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dee Haslam gave her a Browns jersey and hosted her at a game when she was in the states. Liz gave Dee a Norwich shirt (her fave side).

Truss has since tweeted several times about the Browns, showing that she follows them and is a fan.

We could suggest that a Crew shirt would have been a more equivalent swap but they were in Cleveland at the time so I guess it's forgivable.

Edit : I just noticed the date on her tweet and it was a mo th before the Haslams announced they were going to try and buy the Crew. My bad.

POdinCowtown and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baseball--but that's about it.

Still, I've been surprised that Borussia Park can't seem to get past the technical guys for tournaments, given some of the places that were chosen--for 2006 and 2024. It's better than Düsseldorf, anyway, and I'd rate it at least as good as Cologne (and I've been to all of them)--and those two were chosen. FIFA/UEFA probably liked the shopping in Düsseldorf better... And Cologne is a lot cooler city to visit.

MLSinCleveland and puttputtfc repped this.
  9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The investigation report on the mess in Portland is out and its ugly. It's available on line and I'm not able to link it at the moment, but reportedly the team and Paulson knew about this stuff as far back as 2014.

Worst quote of the day: a Thorns executive named Mike Golub said to then-coach and current USSF President Cindy Parlow Cone:

"So what's on your bucket list, other than to sleep with me?"

The while rotten nest needs to be blown up. Paulson. must go.

11. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think Cone goes harder on Golub since it's personal?

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coincidence that Paulson just sold his shares in the team a week ago or so? [emoji848]

Bill Archer repped this.
  13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he only sold, like, 15%. Maybe I'm misremebering

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone want to compare/contrast the piles of stink known as Chivas USA and PTFC, or are they two entirely different piles of stink?

Of course it helps that Portland has a decent fanbase. I'm not saying Portland will be shut down, but this Paulson character surely seems like a Grade-A scumbag.

15. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
  16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy 41st birthday to Zlatan.

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Neither one will come up smelling like roses.

Hee Hee

18. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Watching Haaland reminds me a lot of Zlatan. The size and athleticism is off the charts.

19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It said he sold a minority share. Not sure if that means he sold his shares, which were a minority, or if he sold a small portion of his overall shares.

20. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on your definition of "pile of stink."

PTFC is making money, that does not stink to the other MLS investors. And, sadly, that's the only measure that matters.

21. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Amerigoats Vespucci were making money, they would've had to have been doing so hand over fist to avoid being a net liability to MLS after the EEOC lawsuits, which could've ended badly for MLS given the single-entity strucure.

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As they say, "Money talks and..."

23. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most people - not to include you - are unaware that in fact Merrit Paulson is not the "owner" of the Timbers. Never has been.

His father Hank owns over 50% personally, although we don't know how much exactly. Hank is the team's member of the MLS Board of Governors, not sonny boy.

With Merrits sale of 15% last year some time (which was kept secret until just a few weeks ago) its clear that while Merrit was the CEO (and as of this morning the league has suspended him) even if MLS disqualifies him from ownership it isn't going to force a sale to someone else.

Either the old man will buy him out or they'll come up with another investor. Nothing will change.

Likewise Merrit may or may not own a majority of the Thorns but if the NWSL disqualifies him, which seems likely if not certain, at most the team is worth $40 million, probably less, and Hank could buy him out without breaking a sweat if he wants.

If not one of the minority owners could step up. Either way, not much will change in purely soccer terms.

(It seems worth noting that Anthony Precourts biggest backer and bestest pal in MLS has always been Merrit Paulson. Of course. Frat boy rich kids spending Daddys money and who never did an honest day's work in their lives have to stick together. Now that Merrits in trouble though, I'm guessing that Antny won't even remember his name.)

24. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are you seeing that MLS has suspended Merrit? I his statement yesterday about he and Wilkinson "stepping away" while the investigation is ongoing but nothing from either league office yet.