News: Random Soccer News Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CybrSlydr, Sep 16, 2015.

1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    redi44crew and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  2. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under Armour was approached to provide their gear for & sponsor a couple of members of Drum Corps International. Ink was all but dry on the paperwork but then the CEO got wind and killed it because "he doesn't want his brand associated with those kinds of kids."

F*ck Under Armour.
    I 100% agree. "Boycott" is a verb, there must be action taken.

For me, that action is seeing a piece of Under Armour merchandise that I really want to buy and not buying it. I cannot speak for @CybrSlydr.

3. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been trying to buy most of my stuff from REI for some brands that aren't soiled like Nike, UA, etc.

LaMacchia repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm pretty sure no one is saying what you are doing doesn't qualify, because presumably you WOULD otherwise have engaged in economic activity with UA, but have voluntarily decided not to.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Infantino was dirty as hell in this but it's such a minor thing compared to say Jack Warner or Issa Hayatou or Richard Texiera,, who took probably $100 milllion in bribes over the years.

Infantino, as Legal Counsel for UEFA (before he even worked for FIFA) , sold TV rights to some UEFA Champions league games IN ECUADOR for God's sake, to a couple of since convicted criminals from Argentina.

There's no real paper trail but everyone accepts that they gave him a bribe. FIFA now says there was an open bid process but nobody can name anyone else who was offered the contract. The Argentines - named Jinkis, sold the rights for 3 times what they paid UEFA.

But seriously - how the hell much can those rights be worth in Ecuador? Seriously?

Anyway, the Swiss have been sniffing around this deal since 2015. The prosecutor and Infantino are old pals. They provably met 3 times in a year as this was being investigated but no one took notes, nobody even had the meetings on their calendars and neither man recalls a single thing they talked about.

So now Infantino is in trouble not for the bribe, which as I said can't amount to all that much anyway, but for subverting the legal process. The Swiss don't care if you take bribes - hell, it's practically the national sport - but screwing with the legal process gets those soulless creeps all fired up.

Gianni needs to come up with a better response than "I do not recall"

TrueCrew and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    So cooperating with investigators is now a crime in Switzerland? If they think the official was corrupt, why wasn't he arrested with Infantino the chief witness against him?

8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but conspiring with one is.

Actually, the investigator was the AG of Switzerland, Michael Lauber. After this stuff came out last spring he was sanctioned for "disloyalty" and other arcane sounding shit and had his pay cut for a year. But the heat persisted and a wekk or two ago he resigned.

As for Infantino as a witness, Infantino is actually the target of the probe. Lauber was collateral damage. The Swiss think FIFA acts as a law unto themselves and it's FIFA's hide they really want.

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    If private corruption is now a higher priority for the Swiss than public corruption, that's certainly a change from the past. They'll need to make a deal with Infantino or the former AG if they want to get a conviction. Maybe the top officials of FIFA have been careless but after Blatter's arrest, they probably have covered their tracks better. Banks accounts in the Caymans owned by a trust in the Cook Islands whose trustee is a lawyer in Luxembourg, that sort of thing.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  10. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Wait, are we talking about hiding corruption or international freighter ownership here?

Kryptonite repped this.
  11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus

Tomato, Tomahto

KHT_Crew repped this.
  12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former OSU star Lara Dickemann scored in a UEFA CL women's final a number of years ago for Lyon's women's team. She goes on Tuesday for VfL Wolfsburg's women.

13. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knew there was a Haslam Sports Group?

Anyway, the Browns under their ownership have been a leader in minority hiring. They were the only team I think ever to have a black GM and a black head coach at the same time.

Not their fault that both of them did a terrible job.

The NFL gave them some award for putting their money where their mouth is hiring-wise.

So this kind of thing is entirely in keeping with their history. They walk the walk.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at an event a couple years ago where PELE!!!! IN PERSON!!!!! was the feature attraction

He sat at the head table, munched some food, smiled at all the people who stopped by to shake his hand, get a selfie or an autograph and was altogether pleasant.

Then he gave a few brief remarks that made it clear he had little idea where he was or who all these people were.

For too long soccer executives - Blatter for sure but everyone else too -paid his people money to have him show up at things and smile.

Romario famously - and cruelly - called him a "retard" which is not only unkind but wildly unfair. But its been a while since he was in possession of his mental faculties and its not pretty.

Everyone loves the guy but I wish they would stop trotting him out for public display. He's earned some dignity. Sadly, FIFA doesn't know the meaning of the word.

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadness....:(:cry:

redi44crew and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Mookie was in high school I bought him a knockoff ManU jersey direct from an address in China. 20 bucks.

Later that year his club team went on a trip to England ( where they got slaughtered by the likes of Blackburn youth academy 10-0; they knew nothing of mercy)

Anyway, they toured Old Trafford and he wore.the shirt. This was in July and no one there had seen the new season shirt yet. He was mobbed by club employees, who were up close and personal.with the shirt and nobody guessed it was a fake.

So fake doesn't bother me much.

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I suspect the ratio of real to fake isn't as high in MLS as it is in other sports, but the number of knockoffs at OSU football has exploded over the last few years. There's a ton of jerseys with player names on the back. The only thing OSU sells at their shops is the #1 and whatever the season is, such as 17, 18 or 19 in recent years. Of course, this is all because of Ed O'Bannon's lawsuit, but for whatever reason, basketball jerseys still do actual player numbers

And nobody cares it's only $45 or whatever on Amazon.

If the teams sold their stuff for, oh, say, under $130, they would sell a lot more and probably come out the same or even ahead.

I've been buying Crew jerseys since 1998. They still hold strong. An OSU football jersey I bought in 2002 still looks good. Then again, if someone buys a fake for $25, they probably don't care about them lasting long.

23. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're alumni names, they may have bought them legit elsewhere. The team shop doesn't sell them, but they do license alum name/# jerseys for sale elsewhere.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  24. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbo Crewfan, catfish9 and Bill Archer repped this.
  25. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    A buddy picked up a Red Sox jersey on one of the China sites and it looked legit. Patches, stitching and all were spot on.