News: Random Soccer News Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CybrSlydr, Sep 16, 2015.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what?

LaMacchia repped this.
  2. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that the best American teams can’t win CCL.

No way there is a 50 team league. There would have to be two divisions created, with pro / rel between the two. I’d be willing to be that the majority of teams in the first division would be Mexican. As a team that is usually around midtable in a combined standings, I’d worry for Cbus.

Now, as years go by and the revenue earning power continues to flip towards MLS’ favor, maybe the league will be able to draw all the talent from Mexican teams and become the dominant league in the Americas.

At that point though, I’d ask why we’d even bother to join Liga MX in a super league if our financial superiority is only a matter of time?

I’m all for some sort of faux Champions League between the two leagues, or a North American FA cup or something, but a combined league that is the main competition? No way.

3. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the gap would get bridged pretty quick when the Mexican players realize they can live in the US and be part of the same league.

I also think the increase in TV revenue would quickly increase the quality of the current MLS teams.

4. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it would increase the revenue for Mexican teams as well.

MLS already brings in more revenue than Liga MX. And the US is a more desirable place to live than Mexico.

Let me ask you this: a 50 team single league is surely unworkable, yes? Let’s assume so. Let’s pretend that there ends up being 2 divisions of 25 teams, with pro / rel.

Would you be OK with Cbus being put into division two to start? We all know that would happen. It will be based on marketing and demographics, not on-field merit. How about fans in NE? Minnesota? Nashville? All of them would be alienated, and this isn’t even taking into account fans of ‘relegated’ Mexican teams.

Do fans even want a super league? Fans in the US don’t give a shit. Hell, half the people on this board can’t even name five players on the opponent’s team most weeks, I can’t imagine that their knowledge or enthusiasm for Mexican soccer is greater. Do Mexican fans want to watch MLS teams?

Sure, TV markets and all that blah blah blah, but I just don’t see how this benefits American teams or fans, especially if it leads to half of MLS teams being permanently relegated to a second division.

KCbus repped this.
  5. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. You could have 4 smaller, regional divisions with little overlap that meet in a playoff.

I just don't buy your absolutes considering nothing as to structure has been discussed that I have seen.

And I still don't see how any of it would be bad for Columbus specifically.

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How would playing Necaxa and Quaretero help the Crew draw more fans to games? How would playing Atlas improve season ticket sales? Name one player on any of those teams.

I see how joining with Mexico increases the TV revenue for the league, but it does the same for everyone. So if everyone improves at the same rate, how does that help MLS?

And if MLS is already earning more revenue, and the gap is only going to increase, how does a merger help Cbus?

While it would undoubtedly make the owners richer, I don’t see how it does anything for the fans. We might get some better players, OK. But does anyone give a shit about Juarez, San Luis, or Puebla? Does anyone here really care about Guadalajara or Club America? I think only see it leading to abject apathy from the vast amount of casual fans, and a decent amount of the hardcore fans as well.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is so much smoke here, and the leaders of both MLS and Liga MX have both said, publicly, that they want this... I don’t see a scenario where it doesn’t happen eventually. Lots of talk around 2026 or so, just coincidentally enough.

8. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a completely different question than was asked originally.

But, Crew could be playing the Belarusian third division cellar-dwellar and I would still go. The name on the shirt of the opposition makes zero difference to me, I'm there to watch my team play.

Having said that, I don't really care about which MLS team we are playing save a few. Would it be that different if we were playing Puebla instead of Philly?

Your original point was this would be "a disaster for the smaller US teams, like Columbus" and I have yet to see why it would be a disaster at all, but especially a disaster for Columbus.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Necaxa has Venturo Alvarado and Fernando Arce.

What do I win?

Tobias C and TKyle repped this.
  10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Two leagues who bend, break and make rules to protect large teams would probably do more of that if merged. In case you haven't noticed, Columbus is not Don Garber's favorite.

catfish9 and CybrSlydr repped this.
  11. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I noticed a bit.

I also think Garber's days are somewhat numbered and our new ownership, stadium and relationship with the city will go a long way to mend any fences.

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    You're more optimistic than me. I have no idea if FIFA will approve a merger.

13. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FIFA will approve anything if the money is right.

catfish9, CybrSlydr, djtrinidad and 2 others repped this.
  14. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does it help Columbus? If fans don’t care who we play, and more money is coming one way or the other, then why do this? Why in god’s name would anyone agree to do business with the people that run Liga MX or the FMF? Other than the owners and MLS HQ lining their pockets, I see no upside.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t say it helped, you said it hurt the smaller teams and Columbus specifically.

Nothing you have posted has shown either of those things.

16. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  17. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a difference of opinion.

18. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I care about Club Tijuana! Vamos Xolos!!

In all seriousness, I see this as just a way for mL$ to grab more money from increased TV viewership. Mexican-Americans for the most part (particularly first generation immigrants) don’t give two craps about their local mL$ club but are die-hards for their team in Mexico. Now, to me it makes more sense to expand TV coverage of Liga MX here in the states, but would SUM get some of that revenue? If not, they can if Mexican teams play American teams.

But it’s all a big pile of poo because FIFA won’t approve it.....or will they, depending on the detail$?

19. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Boo.

puttputtfc repped this.
  20. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More big teams make it harder for small teams to compete. Simple enough?

21. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree to an extent. I think quality ownership can overcome some of that in the same way bad ownership can make big clubs fail.

LaMacchia repped this.
  22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look forward to our new league mandated rivalry, El Trillium Clasico with Club America, because we both wear yellow.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  23. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I am here for La Guerra de Amarilla.

west ham sandwich repped this.
  24. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except MLS will make this yellow rivalry between Nashville and America. Because MLS.

I mostly agree with you though. I personally would watch every Crew game, even against Mexican teams. I also know all the Liga MX teams and know the prominent players. That's just me though. An average Crew fan will probably be more interested in a game against the Sounders or Toronto or Chicago or something. Extremely casual fans will see Crew vs. Monarcas Morelia and have no idea what they just read or if its even soccer.

People who are primarily Liga MX fans will probably be the same. The ones who are diehard world soccer fans with diverse interest may tune into their team versus the Crew. Beyond that, I suspect a majority of Mexican fans will view their teams playing us like we view ourselves playing a USL team. A lot of people might put it on if theyre home and bored, but sure as hell arent going to plan their Saturday around it.

It sounds like it would definitely benefit MLS more than Liga MX. If we play Club America and its aired on ESPN or FS1 or whatever, and only 5 to 10% of America fans actually tune in....it probably gets like quadruple the viewership that Crew vs FCC would even get. Isnt the Mexican football federation part of SUM though? I wouldnt be surprised to see this get pushed through just to prop up MLS more.

25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA? Hard to say. The have already approved some multiple country leagues. MLS is one (and the NASL before it)--as well as Monaco playing in France and Welsh teams playing in English leagues (same country but separate FA's).

I think the people who say $$ are right.