Random jibberish

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by LucciAficionado, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and William, I never forget a great piece of tail. :)

2. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Don't respond William, you'll only encourage her!"
    - adapted from "Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers"

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must go now. I'm so exhausted that I can barely string a secnetence together. Thinking it staking too much energy.

Back to work....

:)

4. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A recipe book has come up for discussion in the past.

5. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    To whom it may concern, Hristo Stoichkov was just appointed to coach Bulgarian Nats...
    A very bold move for them, I'd say - he has no coaching experience whatsoever (except maybe for player-coach position (was he player-coach actually?) at DC United).

6. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a player-coach last season.

I think Hristo's going to do a good job with Bulgaria. It will take some time for everyone to get used to his "style," but it'll work out.

7. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Say my name!:D

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, from scratch it is.

And I have a few different ideas.

1.) With soy and fish sauces, and a dipping sauce, too

1 pound beef rib eye

Marinade:
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    1 tablespoon brown sugar

Dipping Sauce:
    5 small dried red chiles
    1/4 cup Thai fish sauce
    Juice of 2 limes
    1 teaspoon palm or brown sugar
    1 teaspoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon roasted rice powder
    2 scallions, finely chopped

Trim steaks of fat. Combine marinade ingredients in a large container. Add the beef, cover, and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. Remove meat from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling to enhance flavors.

Meanwhile, combine all the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Preheat grill. Grill steak, turning occasionally, 5 to 10 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer meat to a cutting board and set aside 10 minutes before slicing crosswise into thin slices. Transfer meat and juices to a serving platter and serve with the dipping sauce and Sticky Rice.

2.) Grilled Beef Steak with Two-Pepper Salsa

1/2 cup olive oil
    6 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns
    6 (6-oz.) rib-eye steaks
    1/4 cup olive oil
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
    1 clove large garlic, crushed
    1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 large red bell peppers, seeded and diced
    1/3 cup CROSSE & BLACKWELL Capers, chopped
    1/4 cup green peppercorns, chopped

Whisk together olive oil, garlic and peppercorns. Pour over steaks and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.

Preheat grill.

While grill is heating prepare salsa. In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, parsley, vinegar, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add red bell pepper, capers and green peppercorns. Gently toss until evenly coated; set aside.

Lightly oil grill before cooking. Remove steaks from marinade. Season with remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Place on grill and cook until desired doneness is reached. About 4 minutes per side for medium-rare for a 1-inch thick steak.

Serve immediately with a generous spoonful of salsa on top.
    NOTE: Green peppercorns are usually found brined and sold in jars. They're the underripe, soft berries of the more common dried peppercorns.
    Serving Size: 6

3.) Wine-Marinated Rib-Eye Steaks with herbed mustard sauce and wilted spinach

For Marinade:
    1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup good-quality dry red wine
    1/2 cup olive oil

For Steaks:
    4 rib eye steaks, about 10 ounces each
    1 tablespoon light olive oil

For Mustard Sauce:
    2 tablespoons light olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 white onion, finely diced
    1 small carrot, finely diced
    1/2 stalk celery, finely diced
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
    2 cups veal stock
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon wine mustard or horseradish mustard
    Dash of Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
    1 tablespoon butter (optional)

For Spinach:
    3 tablespoons butter
    2 shallots, minced
    1 pound spinach, washed and left slightly damp

TO PREPARE MARINADE: Mix together the mustard, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and freshly cracked black pepper to taste in a mixing bowl. Whisk in the wine until all the ingredients are combined and then whisk in the oil. Place the steaks in a large dish and pour the marinade over them. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.

TO PREPARE SAUCE: Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic, onion, carrot, and celery, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the vinegar, add the stock, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low, add both of the mustards, and simmer gently for about 20 minutes; do not boil, or the mustard will "break." Add the Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper Strain through a medium-fine sieve into a clean saucepan and keep warm. Just before serving, add the thyme and tarragon, and if you want to give the sauce an attractive sheen, stir in the butter until thoroughly blended.

TO PREPARE STEAKS: Remove the steaks from the marinade and wipe off any excess. Heat the olive oil in a heavy sauté pan or skillet and sear the steaks in the hot pan over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare or 7 minutes per side for medium.

TO PREPARE SPINACH: Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauté pan. Add the shallots and sauté over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add the spinach and sauté for about 2 minutes, until lightly wilted.

TO SERVE: Ladle the sauce onto warm serving plates. Place the steaks on top of the sauce, put the spinach next to the steaks, and serve immediately.

Serves 4

There you go, Bajoro... take your pick. :)

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good idea.

Someone should start the thread on our forum here-- and by all means, sticky it, mods! :)

I might get it started later on.

And then for recipe sharing, there should be a BBQ thread on BigSoccer's Food & Travel forum.

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to, Erin. But it's a bit of an expensive trip.

However, I do love going to Seattle, too.

However, if you come to Melbourne sometime, I'm sure we could find a seafood restaurant in the CBD or in one of the nearby suburbs that we can compare my world famous grilled and marinated salmon against. ;)

And one other thing...

The owner of said tail can never forget you either, sweetie.

11. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Mods......red card please! :D

12. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez Criminey! What a difference the night noises are in San Jose! I need to get out of Podunk, BFE and back into the city. I have to reassimilate to the noises! :)

Hmmm.... I guess I only have to wait until Thursday.... How many more days until Thursday?

13. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my tip for the day:

Don't scratch a sunburn.

FISH! That fishin' hurt!

:mad:

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

Are you OK, Erin? How did you get the sunburn?

The concept of sunburn seems unfathomable to me here right now, since we're in the middle of winter here. We actually had snow along with rain, hail and chilly weather when I had to cover my football match on Saturday. And that wasn't the first time I had to work under those conditions this season, or even within the last month.

Try some aloe vera for the sunburn... never fails.

15. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have any experience with these-- that would lead you to recommend them?

You realize that I never make anything that takes more than 15 minutes prep time.

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why, of course I do.

I recommend #3, and then #1, in that order of preferences.

But you must remember that something special and delectible is worth doing well, and worth taking the time to do. :)

17. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see....two hours in the sun for a dang 1pm game (they should fishin' be illegal). Then how many hours were we there for the Shake? It hurts...lots. And gosh dang it I just scratched it again!!!!!

I've been layering on Aloe Vera and Vitamin E lotion. I put a thick layer on my skin and then just let it absorb in. But I haven't been this burnt in a long time. It's so fishin' uncomfortable.

18. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The combination off aloe vera and Vitamin E never fails for treating sunburn... even if Vitamin E also acts like an aphrodesiac, in the same way that green M&M's do. :p

(Off-topic: Speaking of green M&M's, there's a particular Sam Newman bit on "The Footy Show" DVD sold over here that is an absolute riot, among others. I think Spartacus will know which bit I'm talking about.)

I remember getting sunburnt badly at a Geelong v Western Bulldogs game in last year's preseason cup, and that combination worked very well for me. The First Aid person there at Kardinia Park stressed that you start applying these lotions as soon as possible to avoid any complications from shock.

It gets better, Erin... it really does. :)

19. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Ty Pennington of Trading Spaces and Extreme Makeover:Home Edition....the carpenter guy that makes my wife swoon.....he was touting MLS the other day, talkin about how he likes to kick back and relax and watch MLS Soccer. I googled and found out he played at some JC in Kenneshaw Ga. Also, Discovery Channel did a Monster House: Soccer House, they soccered out some familie's house(Galaxy fans) and had 3 Galaxy players meet them. Grabavoy was one of them. MLS and the Galaxy were represented heavily.

20. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    If I only knew you were in town......my beer runner didn't make the game and I hate getting my own beer. :D

21. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but at least you got to finally meet me, which I'm sure was worth all the pain.

22. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get your own damn beer fisher!

I mean that in the nicest of ways.

And could you get me one while you're up?

23. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was great to finally meet you! We were finally in the same place at the same time. Either that or you were being nosey....

Hehe. I'm a bit facetious (sp?) tonight.

24. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    It's extremely hot. It's been extremely hot the last few days. And it's supposed to get even hotter this week.

I like sun though. I just don't like feeling this icky from it.

25. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I wasn't being nosey...I was up at the booth to grab more paperwork and heard you say you came down from Portland...It only took a second to figure out who you were.

How's the sunburn? Mines pretty bad...I'm starting to rethink this whole shaving my head thing now. OUCH!!!!