Alert: Random Arsenal Shizzle

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by thebigman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I don't know whether it's down to the fact that he's said a few things since retiring that weren't entirely complimentary to the Arse, or (far more likely) that he's just spent the next 10 years in Henry's shadow, or maybe it's because most American Arsenal fans came around too late to have seen much of him ... but Ian Wright doesn't get nearly enough love from you lot. He was fooking good. I hated him.

those two against Wednesday (around 11:00) in the FA Cup finals (& replay) ... :mad::mad::mad:

and crikey, how he seemed to love scoring against us. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Henry may have been (ok, was) better ... but not all that damn much. did I mention that I hated him?

2. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Enough love? i strongly disagree. Perhaps it is a US thing, most UK Gooners see him as a god.

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    fair shout. I will concede that virtually all of the input I get from gooners is either from folks over here or the few English posters on this forum. and I didn't mean to imply that he was unpopular ... only that the popularity of Henry or Bergkamp seems sooo much stronger than that of Wright that you'd think he wasn't in their league in term of quality - though I would contend that he was.

I'd put it down to the Prem coming to American telly too late for most to have seen him, but hell, I hear Charlie George getting more love on this forum than Ian Wright. Again I'm not saying it's not there ... I'm just saying I haven't much seen it.

no big deal, though. I was just saying that Wright was really, really good.

... and that I hated him. :D

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-ar...all?guid=EE4FA7C5-EF5E-E211-8C30-0050568C07EE

Walking Football... what a great idea. For old geezers like myself. I'd probably manage to do my knee or my ankle nonetheless. Would love to meet & work with one of my childhood idols. Not living in England might be a slight problem for me though.

Oh well, I guess my only question is: why those people Liam is talking to don't look much like pushing 30, let alone 50?!

5. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This seems... difficult to regulate.

"You're running!"
    "No I'm not, this is fast walking."
    "No, I saw your heel come up!"
    "No you didn't!"

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that occurred to me when I first hear it. But then I decided that if you're gonna lower yourself to play this way, you're probably doing it so as to cheat/run. I think the spirit of the rules would prevail.

7. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just going to leave this here:

[​IMG]

daedalus, BIGHMW, OwlSaver and 4 others repped this.
  8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    BIGHMW repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very sad indeed. Not least of which the image of a guy w/ 90YO strength being blown into an oncoming bus. And that he'd promised his son that he'd stopping going to away games.

But you know what, he died doing what he loved. Maybe what he loved most? The Arsenal!

RIP Ernie.

daedalus, BIGHMW and darcgun repped this.
  10. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hope the club recognizes him with something

11. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he saw Champan, Bastin, all the greats until today. Should we win something, League, FA Cup, Europa League, dedicate to his memory, or name the central ring after him.

12. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    cool watching.

NorthBank repped this.
  13. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Did Arsene get a second job as a doorman?

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No but I bet he got a buttload of cash for wearing that silly suit.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for sharing that Darcgun. I just watched it. The interviewer could use a few pointers, but still Wenger did offer some tidbits, such as:

* Interested in managing a national team? Not at all, even now. Although he was approached several times by FFF. (Personally I believe that is how he'll end his career)

* Regrets he might have? Here he's not as clear. First he said "I have many, in my whole life". Then mins later he said that with the amount of good luck he's had in his career it would be "inappropriate to have regrets". Followed by an admission of a "mistake" he made by honoring his contract to manage Monaco when Bayern came calling... he turned Munich down, then got fired by Monaco a few months later.

* His legacy? At the end the show they compared Wenger to Cruyff. And Arsene agreed that he would like to leave the legacy that Cruyff did for football in general and Barca specifically. And you could argue that he's already done that in England with Arsenal.

darcgun repped this.
  17. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  18. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    why not? he's mr. (or Monsieur) post-oil and gas.

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Robbie gave that work

20. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that was great. When I watched it I noted how Martin Tyler's commentary echoed that of Brian Moore's(?) back in 1971 in another slightly important FA Cup match, where he said "Charlie George who can hit em"

22. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, RIP Don Howe.

A funny quote from Keown in this interview, alluding to his defense-mindedness: "the only time he smiled was during the team photo in the summer where he had all 22 players behind the ball". :laugh:

I have a very vague recollection of Don Howe, probably because he wasn't there very long before I moved back to the US in 1977. Today when I heard the news, I kept trying to conjure a memory of him and what I kept coming up with was this physio, sprinting out to help the latest injured player, with his little bag of tricks and the "magic sponge". Finally I figured out who that physio was... Fred Street.

Street & Howe shared a bit of a resemblance. They are at the far right side of this photo from 1978 (Terry Neill is 2nd from the left). And check out the other all-time greats in this squad: Brady, MacDonald, Jennings! And then there was Rice, O'Leary, Stapleton, Sunderland, Radford, Rix, etc, etc:
    AFC-team-photo-1978.jpg

darcgun repped this.
  24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He was also an England coach when we got to 90 and 96 semi finals

Obviously a good coach because we haven't come close since

darcgun repped this.
  25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched highlights of our match at Old Trafford last May and seeing our nice yellow away kit reminded me of how awful our current gold diamonds, jester-like shirts are. Here's hoping they correct their error next year!