Alert: Random Arsenal Shizzle

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by thebigman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    happy you all complain that you would have beaten us with a full strength team...and ignore our team was not full strenght either..

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    you're doing it again. if someone's linked one of ours saying something that daft, then go ahead and have a laugh at his expense. but the assertion that 'we all complain' is just not on. the fact is that most of ours had no complaints, save that we'd played Fazio, who was shite.

we fielded a pretty strong side (centerhalfs aside), and played ok but lacked any cutting edge. you played a less-but-still-reasonably strong side (though with changes, to be sure) and didn't play particularly well. That Flamini would do the damage was particularly hurtful, but only because most of us despise him - and less for the fact that he's yours than because of that outrageous tackle on Bale in the Champions League tie v Milan*. But I digress ... the only thing ours complained about is that we lost to you. I fooking hate that; in any competition and without regard to selections. the fact is that we played a fairly strong attacking side, but that we didn't really make any inroads, so even though few of us were impressed with your performance, I don't know many who've suggested we deserved any more from ours.

so that's 1-0 to you, then. fair play. we'll have our chances again in the League, and will hopefully do better. and who knows, maybe we'll get another shot at you in the FA cup. Or in the Europa League ... I mean, if you can get up to 3rd.

*which we won, by the way.

3. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    Depends who you know ;)

P1010602.JPG

Sleepy Spaceman and darcgun repped this.
  4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I've been going to London & Spurs since '96. I've been to matches at every league ground in London save Selhurst Park and the new crap at Wimbledon and Barnet. Oh, and Arsenal.

for some reason, though, when I was in London a couple weeks back, I decided - after God-only-knows how many innocuous rides past it on the Picadilly Line - to actually get off at the Arsenal station and have a walk past the old stadium (or at least what's left of it). Standing there on Avenell Road, taking in the old façade of the East Stand - and I say this without the slightest compromise in my pro-Spurs anti-Arse soul - it had to have been one of the greatest football stands ever built. I have no idea what it would've been like watch there (quiet, I heard), but from an architectural perspective ... oh my.

it's a damn good thing i'm not a gooner - for myriad reasons! - but if I had been, pulling that down for its replacement would've been very tough to swallow. frankly, I was kinda pissed about it last month.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #105 NorthBank, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Good to hear you made the pilgimage pook!

I would raze the new stadium and go back to highbury in a heartbeat!

You could say it was a little library-ish but then again I found its intimacy made it actually more vibrant than the new place. I'm partial to the old 4-standers tbh.

6. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    Been messing around with my photo's of Royal Arsenal in Woolwich
    ....and Highbury, taken last year.

Here's another....

P1040357 (3).JPG

maskito repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carmelo on Men in Blazers tonite. Very cute. Seems like he might be (or become) a genuine goonah.

His predictions: We beat Spurs 3-1 this weekend and go on to win the league.

The player he thinks is most like him? Alexis Sanchez. Hmm.

Plus he liked their pie.

I came away liking him a lot more than from watching him play, which I'll admit hasn't been much.

darcgun repped this.
  8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's a great player

Him and port will be good this year

9. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    and illegal too....i don't want arsene or gazidis to go to court...:D

10. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    if Islington council or Cameron allowed us to have a 60,000 plus capacity, then cool.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once all-seaters were the rule, Highbury was never going to be able to hold that many people, even with expansions. You'd have to bring back the terraces to pack in 72,000 like they did in the 1930's.

12. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    thebigman repped this.
  13. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  14. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Yeah read about that. Great for him! Suprised he hasn't retired yet.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I almost skipped that because it was from the Sun. Glad I didn't. Still scratching my head though why this low-end rag would publish such a high-minded article. In any case...

Kudos to Flamini. For having the gumption to take something he's passionate about (environmentalism) and turn it into an enterprise. For doing this while he was primarily a pro footballer with top, demanding teams. For toiling at it privately for so many years... I guess he felt that was important because of his fame? He wanted it to be under the radar so it didn't get disrupted.

And I learned something new: Levulinic Acid. Who knew? Move over Los Angeles!

MisplacedSpainard and danielh repped this.
  16. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Broadly agree....

17. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Anyone else see this new business about Flamini and some energy company he is involved with?

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, read the posts just above.

19. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    wow my bad. I am not paying attention. I kind of zone out during international weeks.

20. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hooked my PS2 up to the TV in the bonus room and played FIFA 05. You literally can't lose the ball as Henry unless you are sprinting. :lol: I was wrecking Spurs 3-0 in the first half when my wife said to turn it off and play something that I could include the 3 year old kiddo.

21. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're right, but many of your fans were saying this on your fellow fans' Youtube channels (Spurred On/Fighting Cock). Even still, good win today. maybe Kane can challenge for Golden Boot.

22. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    seems despite the Graham successes, the team had some serioud ********ing behind the scenes issues. Imagine if Tony, Merse were healthy in that period. 1991 Invincibles?

NorthBank repped this.
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #123 NorthBank, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Great find! I just watched the first 5mins. Can't wait to come back later for the rest.

Edit: Back now and just finished it. I must say I was not quite aware of the extent of his problem until seeing this show. Worth a watch both from an Arsenal history perspective, but moreso from the human point of view and as a lesson on how addiction can ruin your life. Question: has he managed to stay sober these last 13 years since this film was made? Last funny bit: Wenger was interviewed in front of a big note pad which said "all 4 goals against came from set pieces". Oh how familiar we've been with that problem in the ensuing years!!

24. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Used to have a VHS of him a long time ago, but only up to 1995/96 season.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    turkey-gunners.jpg
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving everybody