Alert: Random Arsenal Shizzle

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by thebigman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The WSL League Cup Final is today 12:30. Arsenal take on Chelsea in yet another Final meeting.

I'm hoping to stream it... maybe on TheFA player, but not sure if they're doing that.

If it's doable, maybe we should all watch this instead of Liverpool at Watford. :)

cooper7d7 repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #577 NorthBank, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Just posted on the other teams thread that I can't seem to find the Conti Cup Final on TheFA Player. Drag. Anyone else found it???

Match starts in 20 mins.

Edit: NEVERMIND... found it on TheFA Player... buried a bit... but there.

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This shouldn't be random, but I don't think we have a thread for this, so.....

1251137691292483584 is not a valid tweet id

maskito repped this.
  4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don’t work dawg

5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Shen-O and thebigman repped this.
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah it’s a popular one

definitely gonna get it

7. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn! Would've loved a signed copy

8. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is truly his behind-the-scenes, tell-all book, it has potential to be one of the greatest soccer tomes ever written.

9. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking about the old teams and the whole Vieira-Keane, who's tougher debate....Lauren would have folded both of them like a chair. I think he was by far the toughest dude on our squad.

thebigman repped this.
  10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There is a great bbc show on now featuring Ian Wright talking about 3 key games

interestingly, when he was 19 and not playing in football rocky to castle convinced him to get back into it saying he was better than players he had played with etc

so we owe him a lot for Ian Wright as well as his mercurial midfield play

Shen-O repped this.
  11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you add the fact that Lauren knew how to box, yeah, probably.

Shen-O repped this.
  12. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I don't want any of this

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if you ever listen to the Handbrake Off podcast from The Athletic. It's decent --- has James from Arseblog, Amy Lawrence, Ian Stone, and usually Lee Dixon. A couple weeks ago, Lauren was their guest. They asked him about this incident and he said he had no regrets whatsoever --- felt he was sticking up for his mates.

NorthBank and maskito repped this.
  14. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah! That makes me love him more. Thanks for sharing.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for what may just be another great podcast tip. I really like Amy. Lee and James aren’t half bad either. Looking forward to catching up on some past episodes.

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One to definitely catch --- they did an entire episode about Henry's return and his goal against Leeds in the FA Cup. Made me a bit teary.

maskito repped this.
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened to the Henry episode which was OK. The main host Ian Stone(?) I'm not familiar with but he seems a good dude of a certain age, i.e. I dig his transition music choice. ;)

I think I could have a lot of time for this lot. I already liked Amy, Lee & James individually, so put them together and how could I not?

I then listened to the Lauren episode which was a bit "livelier". And I fell into a trap that I was even forewarned about! He kept talking about some teammate called "Matty Q" and I'm like who the hell is that?!

Then it dawned on me that it was Martin Keown! And I then remember how someone on this board or maybe another podcast was cracking up about how Lauren pronounced his name.

Anyway, thanks again for the podcast tip. Don't know how to find the time for all the good ones but that's a first world problem. ;)

18. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching Pires' IG live this morning with Kentish Town Academy.

Who had the best first touch, Zidane or Bergkamp?
    "Dennis" - Bobby

He listed Zidane as the best he's ever played with. I thought he was going to say Henry, surprised me.

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seems a little bit crazy because the consensus seems to be that Zidane was kind of overrated? Then again, a whole generation of DMs came up because they were deployed to stop Zidane and others like him, which led to Xavi controlling the game from deep, which, well you get it.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Zidane was a genius

he controlled the tempo of the game higher up the pitch and was unplayable at times

like iniesta in a different way

maskito repped this.
  21. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the camp that thinks he was overrated.

22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I dunno. The only time I saw Zidane live was in 2006 at Highbury when we knocked Madrid out of the CL. Maybe it was a case of being star struck, although then one would think it would've applied to all the other Galacticos not to mention the amazing players on our side, but I thought Zidane was amazing. Almost every touch perfect, no wasted effort, would just glide around the pitch. And 2006, he was certainly a bit past his prime. I could only imagine seeing him in his younger days.

23. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Zidane is hard to put into words. Best way I can describe him to a fellow Gooner is to say he is a more technical and tactical Vieira with sustained elite play over a longer period of time at both top-level Club and International levels.

Even when they played on the same team, the fact that Zidane overshadowed Vieira - himself one of the most dominating and complete central midfielders of the modern era - says a lot about Zizou.

24. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Zidane was kind of hard to watch play when I was growing up and by the time it became widely available he was past his peak.

But we're talking about the best of the best here, and Zidane played for Juve and Real Madrid on some absolutely stacked teams, and his club teams really didn't win a whole lot.

Real won La Liga the year before he arrived, won it once in the five years he was there, and then won it the year after he retired. Juve won the Champions League the year before he got there (though to be fair they were runners up in his first two seasons there), they won Serie A twice in five years, and then won it the year after he left.

25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but lets back up to what the original conversation was about --- individual brilliance (best player, whatever) per Robert Pires's opinion. I was just stating that having seen Zidane play, Pires's take doesn't seem crazy to me.