Ramon Ramirez & Francisco Palencia's status

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by CyphaPSU, Aug 5, 2004.

1. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me about Ramon Ramirez and Francisco Palencia

Ramon Ramirez and Francisco Palencia are the first two Chivas USA signees. I have some questions about these two players:

I understand that Ramirez has been an important player on the Mexican national team for some time, but what about Palencia?

Are these guys in the starting 11 (or even on the roster) for the Mexican national team as of today?

If they are still pretty good, why would Vergara pull these players away from Chivas Guadalajara in order to place them on Chivas USA? Or might it be because they are at the point in their careers where they are getting past their primes?

2. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Tell me about Ramon Ramirez and Francisco Palencia

Maybe because he wants CD Chivas to be good, and is treating it like a true brand extension and not a reserve team, which would make little sense.

3. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Both are getting up in age, but still good and as recently as WC'02 both are important Mexican national teamers, although Palencia not so much as Ramirez. They give Chivas instant star power.

4. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999

Ramirez is past his prime but could still be a decent player. He definitely won't tear the league apart or anything. Palencia has been a player who has impressed me and isn't too old either. Palencia plays a lot like a DeRosario and is fun to watch.

5. EscoDU01

EscoDU01 New Member

May 24, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is a really good comparison between Palencia and DeRosario. They both play with a lot of heart, and have talent to back that up. Both Paco and Ramirez will be good additions to CD Chivas LA.

6. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Being an anglo I guess I'm not supposed to pull for Chivas LA. However, If they play attractive attacking soccer I'll have to like them!

7. RED_HOT_CHILI_PEPPER

Feb 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Ramon Ramirez was once a very good player, he was involved in a car accident and after that he never recovered. The guy had everything, speed,excellent passing and dribbling skills, good strong defence. The thing that impressed me the most was during his prime the guy would not stop running full speed. The dude was incredible, way better than Luis Hernandez, Jorge Campos, etc. The only thing about Ramirez is that he's getting old and even though he still is a good passer/dribbler he doesnt run like he used to. He is a lot slower now and isnt a 90 minute player. The guy lost his speed and stamina. Palencia is ok, he has lots of heart, good attitude, loves heavy metal, and is fun to watch. Both are good additions to Chivas USA.

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Ramon Ramirez + Francisco Palencia

Anyone can fill me in on Bio's, positions, former clubs? Are they any good? I just need all info you have! thanks.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Re: Ramon Ramirez + Francisco Palencia

Also Luis Hernandez or any other Mexican players that may be coming to CHIVAS USA.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Anyone?!?!?!

11. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State

Of course.

Palencia has been the Mexican league for somewhere over 8 years. He played for Cruz Azul, played for someone else for awhile, and now plays for Chivas.

tonight, Chivas-Mex lost to Atlas while Palencia was the starter. They were eliminated from the playoffs, so he's now free to start training with ChiLas.

He:

Missed a penalty kick in the first half that would have tied the game, by skying it over a pretty much empty net.

Blocked a likely goal by being offside and having the ball hit him in the legs.

Tried hard to pick a fight with an opposing forward in the late stages of the game.

He is fast, has heart when he wants to, and enjoys a good yellow card. He is faster than L. Hernandez ever was, and has more talent. But he's no longer young and may or may not endure getting body slammed all game long, which is MLS's main defensive tactic. Ruiz dives more than he does, so that's also a plus.

12. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was him..talk about airmail it was almost Beckham like. They way Chivas played tonight I think Chivas USA would beat them. Also since we are talking about big time f ups how about Oswaldo's howler...that was awful, one of the worst keeper mistakes since "you got burned Johnny Walker!!".

13. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002

Palencia was on Mexico's 98 and 02 World Cup teams. IIRC he was used as a sub in 98 but I do remember he started the second-round match against Germany and played really well and was taken off at halftime, a move that PO'd a lot of their fans. In 02, he hardly played when he should have played more. He was really popular, especially when he led Cruz Azul to the final of the Copa Libertadores, but has fallen off hard since then. A lot of fans don't like him anymore, criticize his play and don't want him on the national team any more.

Ramon Ramirez was on the 94 World Cup team I think and was on the 98 squad. He got a red card against Holland in the group finale and missed the Germany game and was missed in that game. He's a left-footed midfielder whose best days are way behind him. He was a key part of the national team until he got into a bad car accident in December of 2000 and since then, to me, he hasn't been the same player. He doesn't have much time left, maybe one good season at the most.

I'm looking forward to seeing Palencia in MLS. He'd been linked with the Galaxy back when they were pursuing Hernandez.

14. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

i wondered if palencia starts busting out on the league whether he might get more of an eye for WCQ...with more familiarity against the american style of play i would assume palencia would get a better look to start against the USA when mexico plays them next year

15. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago

Luis Hernandez might play with Alcatraz or San Quitin USA if the guy shows up. He is wanted in the States for reasons other than his scoring virtues. In other words, a saying in Spanish fits better: Pajaro que comio, volo.
    :rolleyes:

16. Octavius Agustus

Octavius Agustus New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    33RD sTREET

Luis Hernandez is old and out of shape, he ain't been near a field for some time now.

EDIT: Also, Palencia has a bit of the 'bobby convey syndrome'. He misses a lot of sitters. But in the MLS, maybe that'll be different. :)

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Thanks all you guys are great.

18. Frank83

Frank83 New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Makaveli 13

Makaveli 13 New Member

Jul 23, 2004

> We all have our good and bad days :rolleyes: <

20. socksgov

socksgov New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    california
  21. Furia Yanqui

Furia Yanqui New Member

May 15, 2003
    USA

Can you guys please give us similar information and analysis re: Martín Zúñiga and Alfonso Loera? As a USA fan, I do not know of them really, certainly not as well as Ramon Ramirez and Palencia.

I would like to know more because Ivar Sisniega of Chivas said yesterday Ramirez, Palencia, Zuniga and Loera will meet with the drafted players for training at La Primavera beginning next week.

Also you might want to know that Palencia said he does not want to go to Chivas USA. He wants to stay in Mexico to make it up to the Chivas fans who were upset that the Sacred Goat Flock have not won the championship since 1997. Does he have any choice in this matter when it really comes down to it?

22. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State

I don't think Chivas-Guad stand any better chance with him in Mexico, than they do with him in LA. If Chivas wants to win the clausura, they need a better forward than he is today.

On his choice...well it may be a question of being sent to LA, or sent to another Mexileague team. I have not read the papers since Sunday, don't know whether he is in their plans. But Vergara needs to come through with what he promised at the press conference...Palencia on Chivas USA.

23. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

Loera is a defender that hasnt been able to crack into Chivas line up in a while. He is a fairly decent player but nothing to write home about.. Zuniga was Chivas gk when they won the Mexican league championship in 97 he then fell off the map and has been a reserve keeper in diffrent teams.. imo i hope they are not part of the chosen ones, these players are mediocre.. .

24. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Does anyone really believe that all these over the hill Mexicans are going to light up MLS? I for one don't believe so.

25. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002

Unfortunately, these are the kinds of internationals Chivas USA will get. For Chivas not to have drafted a keeper doesn't make sense unless they have someone in mind. Now, with Zuniga's name being mentioned, it makes perfect sense. They'll bring in a veteran keeper and will go after a couple of young ones, whether it's in the superdraft or those tryouts they had or whatever.

I'd be disappointed if Palencia, Ramirez, Loera and Zuniga are the four senior internationals on opening day. the way Cue and Co. have been talking it up, they made it sound as if they were going to bring in a name player or two to go along with Paco and Ramirez, maybe somebody like Borgetti. I just hope Chivas USA gets some of the younger Chivas players like Parra who will get the chance to play regularly and do well here.