Ramat Gan Stadium

Discussion in 'Israel' started by MHaifa1913, Sep 19, 2010.

1. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so they divulged some of the details on Sunday about what the new national stadium will be like. I for one am excited about the prospect, but have many reservations regarding whether or not this will be possible.

1. Capacity - Why are they only going to build the new stadium with 60,000 seats? That is not exactly huge when we are talking about the fact that the IFA wants to host the UEFA Champions League final and other big football events. I think that seventy to eighty-thousand would be more appropriate. I believe that in qualifying matches against bigger European countries, it can be filled. For matches against the regional minnows like Cyprus, we can use Bloomfield. If you take into account how many tickets UEFA needs to give to their friends and sponsors, a capacity of sixty-thousand is quite small.
    2. Events - Will there be a track around the pitch? What does this mean for the future of the Maccabiah? They always use Ramat Gan since Maccabiah Stadium was deemed in adequate (yes, I know that Teddy Kollek Memorial Stadium has been used when there weren't many participants, but that was once). Also, the track and field would be suitable in a bigger stadium if they are looking to host other international events. I know, it isn't pretty for football and ruins the sight lines.
    3. Location - Why aren't they considering other locations? The area around Ramat Gan Stadium is a traffic mess on game day and the train station is not that close. Isn't there more space somewhere near the heart of the country, say by the airport where no one wants to live because of the take offs and landings? It is close to Road 6, the airport, the train system and the capital, Jerusalem. Having a national stadium outside of the capital seems weird to me, but perhaps it is because I am looking at every other stadium in UEFA.
    4. Cost - That's it? Surely they can build something a bit more expensive! I can't believe that they don't have the sponsors to do it. Sounds to me like someone needs to look over the books at the IFA.

2. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    A) Teddy Maicha will be renovated, the mayor of Jerusalem wants to have the NT playing in the city

B) a new train station will be build near the new Ramat Gan, that way they wont be huge traffic jams made by fans

C) i agree with u on the Bloomfield part, the stadium should get upgraded, build a second tier and make it into a 30,000 capacity stadium

D) about the Maccabiah games and athletics part, they can always build a new midsize stadium of around 15,000 in Wingate

3. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teddy should be renovated, its not bad but its not good either. Looks like crap from outside!

I am very happy they will build a new NT stadium though, I don't like Ramat Gan. I agree with the 60K capacity though. I think we should first worry about lighting a fire under the players asses since they play like lazy piece o shits