Ramadan

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by goonsquad, Sep 29, 2007.

1. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been on here much lately so forgive me if this has been discussed. This year, Ramadan spans from Sept 13th through Oct 12th. As you may know during this time of year Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset. So how is this affecting Arsenal? Van Persie and Toure are Muslim, and I think Eboue is too. How can they play a game in the middle of the day, and not drink water? I play 3 times a week and I would not feel good if I couldn't have water during or after games. Not to mention the fact that they have to eat big meals after sunset and before sunrise to get all their calories for the day. I mean these guys are obviously super athletes but to play top flight games with no water seems outrageous to me.

2. alain_9510

alain_9510 New Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Seattle
    My Muslim friend was telling me the other day about certain exceptions, I'll ask him about sports and post what he tells me.

3. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that van Persie isn't extremely devout. As for the others, well, Kolo Toure doesn't eat- he kicks ass until he is full.

4. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, thanks. Actually, I saw Van Persie taking some nutrient gel when he came off, so there must be some exceptions.

5. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't forgive you and will not accept. I want a written report as to why you haven't been on.

6. yaz2k1

yaz2k1 Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The exceptions are: being sick or having a medical condition that prevent fasting e.g. kidney problems, traveling (more than 90 miles), being too old or too young, pregnant women, and also during that time of the month for women.
    However, most devout Muslims still chose to fast even if they have a permission (exception). And most Muslims would consider not fasting so you can play football to be "wrong". But playing at this level while fasting is very difficult.
    BTW, I understand Trarore is also Muslim.

7. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    well at least for away games they should be OK under the travel exception. :)

8. alain_9510

alain_9510 New Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Seattle
    My Muslim friend doesn't know...but if it's an evening game, they should be OK.

9. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New job dude, not as much surfing time, as I'm actually working for most of the day.:eek:

10. CaptVimes

CaptVimes New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Im sure ive seen them drink water but even if they didnt i can remember the days that they didnt use to have bottles of water scattered around the pitch.

11. cashflow

cashflow Member

May 31, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Van Persie is not Muslim, his wife is Muslim. Kolo Toure i think is fasting maybe not on matchdays but im not sure, i know he is a devout muslim who takes his prayer mat to Training.

Also Traore is Muslim.

12. Skizz

Skizz Guest

van Persie is Muslim, as a Muslim woman can only marry a Muslim man. He converted so he could marry her.

13. cashflow

cashflow Member

May 31, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes i know that too that a Muslim woman can only marry a Muslim man but that does'nt mean it was the case.

I spoke to Kolo Toure myself and asked him if Van Persie was muslim and he told me he wasnt but his wife was.

14. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    It completly depends how devout she is. But in this case Van Persie did convert.

15. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    :rolleyes: Where have I heard this before....................!! I can assure you that Van Persie is Muslim. It is well documented, he doesn't hide it.

16. cashflow

cashflow Member

May 31, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    well ill take it kolo toure was lying then when i asked him...

17. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    I'll file Ramadan under the irrational acts file alongside fasting for Lent and being Kosher.

18. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    I rather think you may have mis heard when he said "it is not Arsenal's policy to discuss any personal life of any players"...............................

19. cashflow

cashflow Member

May 31, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ok man, ill just pretend he didnt say anything at all

20. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    dude, it's not that big of a deal...:confused:

21. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Don't need to pretend mate :p

22. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pics or it didn't happen :p

If he did truly say this, then it probably means that van Persie may have converted just for technical reasons (to marry his wife) and isn't devout and doesn't follow the strict rituals. That would be my guess.

23. clocktower

clocktower New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I've heard donating to/feeding the poor can offset the days a person doesn't fast without a good reason, but I don't know if it's in the Quran or people making things up. Maybe they just aren't that devout. I haven't fasted in years.

24. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I've known muslims to run and play sports during fast. If you prepare the night before and after it's not so bad. Think of all the work your ancestors had to do between meals...the body (especially of endurance athletes) can deal with temporary extremes. I remember Hakeem Olajuwon fasting during the NBA finals years ago. I think he would get an IV the night after to rehydrate for the next day's game. IIRC, he had a hell of a series.

25. yaz2k1

yaz2k1 Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's simply not true. In Islam there's no way around not fasting without a legit excuse. Many muslims don't fast which is a choice they make but nobody should make up justifications or alternatives.