Ralston Signs as Player/coach!

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by m16t, Feb 1, 2010.

1. m16t

m16t Member

Jan 19, 2001
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. soyinocente

soyinocente Member

Nov 26, 2003
  3. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Potential Players?

You know what really makes me feel good about this signing? There's a thread on the Revs board where their fans sound very frustrated to lose him.

He may be past his prime, but it sounds like they all think he would have been a great contributer still on an MLS team.

4. m16t

m16t Member

Jan 19, 2001
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree 100%. I think this signing equals instant credibility for ACSTL in that it shows the club's intent to go after "names," bring local talent back into the fold, and put together a quality squad. Definitely looking forward to the next moves....

5. Showstopper

Showstopper New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's a huge signing! Every team in MLS would be happy to have Ralston in a heartbeat. The reason for Twellman's success in New England was because of Ralston feeding him picture perfect crosses and set pieces. He maybe getting on in years but Ralston is still going to make every player around him better and he is going to provide the kind of leadership that not a lot of teams in the league are going to have at this level.

6. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

An Oakville High alumnus leading the new St. Louis team into battle. Gotta love it :D

7. Bend_it

Bend_it Member

Jun 13, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What a fantastic first signing. This puts AC St. Louis on the map as a team that is going to be competitive and serious about winning. Congratulations to Steve Ralston and thanks Jeff Cooper. Can't wait til Opening Day. ;)

Go AC St. Louis !!!!!

8. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow! I was skeptical it would turn out to be Ralston but this is great news - not only to have him on the team but for what it says about ACStL's seriousness in putting this team together.

9. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good signing!

10. P@rick_STL

P@rick_STL New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    St. Louis

This is fantastic and surprising news. (Surprising to me anyway). Ralston is a valuable, all-around soccer asset.

And he seems very well suited to the player/coach role. I'm hard-pressed to come up with another name better suited to bringing leadership and stability to this particular club.

And if the NASL/AC St. Louis business plan relies heavily on player development/sales (as it seems to be doing), then Ralston's track record of mentoring younger players in MLS is an obvious synergy.

11. dmelsh

dmelsh New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Lawrence / St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Awesome signing! Def shows ACSTL intent to go after big name players, yet local talent.

Also it should be noted that if Anelka doesn't work out as coach in the next few seasons we have an awesome veteran player that could take over the role. Im not counting out Anelka yet, just saying!

Either way great to see Ralston back home!

12. flornatref

flornatref Member

Feb 2, 2005

we over at tampa's site were hoping that ralston would possibly be coming back to florida due to his ties to this area from his days with the mutiny. this is a tremendous signing for st louis. should help even more to start the excitement in the town for the team. good on you all.

13. dmelsh

dmelsh New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Lawrence / St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From Timmermann at Stltoday.com

"Ralston made $150,000 in MLS last season, and Jeff Cooper said his salary with his team was “competitive.” "

Interesting, sounds like they are willing to put out some good money for top players.

14. dmelsh

dmelsh New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Lawrence / St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis

I was thinking the same thing. Even as the assistant coach, his experience in MLS should be very helpful for finding new players who weren't quite making the cut on their MLS teams, and for mentoring young players who have ambition to move on to MLS and beyond. They really needed someone with knowledge of US soccer to be part of the coaching staff.

16. TetsuoShima

TetsuoShima New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    St. louis Metro East
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great signing of course. What a player to open up the inaugural season with. Now we just need to get Twellman and we are good.:)

18. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old? He'll never feel so young as when he takes to the field in front or a raucous home crowd in St. Louis.

19. sirfallsalot_2000

Apr 18, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I believe Ralston is the MLS all-time leader in minutes played, games played and assists. That's a pretty awesome signing for a start-up team!

20. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    He'll probably miss half the season due to injury, but I think his leadership as an assistant coach and mentor to the other players will make this a worthwhile signing regardless. I do hope that we are able to acquire a suitable supporting midfield cast so that we don't have a chasm between offense and defense every time he gets injured; I already had to watch that with Athletica last year.

21. sirfallsalot_2000

Apr 18, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Besides getting Ralston as our captain and the quality it brings, I really like how this literally puts AC STL on the map. Not just getting the Ralston signing in blogs. I read 2 articles on BS today criticizing AC STL in one way or another. If you're not remotely relevant you don't get mentioned at all! Bring on the hate!......er.....ok just a little is fine thanks.

22. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I'd heard that Ralston was on the table for us...I really couldn't believe it. I mean..seriously? Why would this guy, this MLS legend come to play for our rinky dink team in Fenton...

But I'm stupid pumped about this and I'm ready to welcome him home.

He stating he'll be ok on day one...let's hope that's true.

23. Bend_it

Bend_it Member

Jun 13, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about hate;)...but I saw Ralston's signing covered on Sports Illustrated.com, Soccer America.com and Goal.com. So besides adding a very good player for next season, AC St. Louis and NASL/Div2 got some good PR.

24. P@rick_STL

P@rick_STL New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    St. Louis
  25. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I hope you guys all die in a fire for taking Ralston from us. :mad:

Just kidding. Good luck, Stevie. :)