Ralph to Europe soon?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by pc4th, Aug 27, 2003.

1. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    And can someone tell me who is buried in Grant's Tomb?

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, St George's College is a Jesuit High School in Kingston.

http://www.stgc.org/

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the current coaching in Jamaica's got Steve Sampson's Disease. Unfortunate for their world cup hopes in 2006, I think.

4. Scrandal

Scrandal Member

Nov 5, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Ralph in the UK

The article speaks of the difficulty of Ralph if he wanted to go to England. Do Jamaicans have any way around the work permit regs? Beyond parents or grandparents that is.

IMHO this kid is ready for the 1st Division and could start for half the clubs.

5. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    "Colleges" in other countries are often actually secondary schools.

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Has Nodley been capped by Jamaica yet? Does he have any ties to the US so that Bruce can call him up? I hear he's good in the air. :)

7. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I refer you to the point I made just before your post: the match was in England, so he called up English-based players. Bruce does the same thing with the US squad: MLS-based players get a shot when the games are over here, and our exports get a chance when the games are in Europe. This game is not a good indicator as to whether he's really ignoring Ralph, especially since Damani is in the middle of a season, so flying him out to England for a friendly on an MLS game day doesn't make much sense, does it. Wait till they have another match here--he'll get the call.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Too bad the article didn't say anything about Damani married to, or about to marry, a girl with US citizenship (and, best case scenario for him, with a parent from an EU country) so that he can become a US citizen sooner rather than later.

I wonder if I could talk my sister-in-law into doing her country a great service?

9. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Why, what's the point?

He apparently is already capped with Jamacia.

10. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    He [Ralph] doesn't think so.

11. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said he wasn't sure if that friendly counted.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Capped, but not cap-tied.

There's a big difference.

From the article posted above.

"The last time I had any conversation with the Jamaican coaching staff was last summer when myself and Shavar (Thomas) went to Grenada for the friendly. That has been my only game with the national team and I do not know if that qualifies as a cap as it was only a friendly.

Friendlies do count as caps. But, they don't cap-tie you to that country.

Only FIFA-sanctioned games, which are any world championship, including age-specific ones, any qualifier for any world championship, regardless of age, ane confederation championship and and qualifier for a confederation championship, cap-tie a player to the country for which he played said games.

We're basing a lot on this article but according to it, the Grenada game was a friendly and it was the only time he's ever played for Jamaica. Assuming that info is correct, he is NOT cap-tied to Jamaica.

So, if Damani marries my sister-in-law (or any other woman whose a US citizen) and becomes an American citizen, he can still play for the USA.

13. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True, but how did FIFA justify allowing Chris Armas to play for the US, after he had, if memory serves, appeared for Puerto Rico in a Gold Cup qualifier? I can't remember what logic they used at the time, or even if they used any logic (wouldn't be the first time for FIFA) :)

14. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I don't think it was a Gold Cup qualifier, and if it was, at the time it wasn't a FIFA sanctioned event. It was a non-sanctioned game that doubled as a qualifier I believe.

15. Technic

Technic New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    I remember it well. It was some silly tournament they use to have in the Carribean called Copa Carib or some crap like that. It was not a FIFA sanctioned event so he was cleared to play for us.

16. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Wow. Way to stab your own brother in the back.

17. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    According to Chris Doran during the FSN broadcast, Galaxy and Jamincian player Tyrone Marshall talked to Damani and told him to try to get on the USA Team rather than Jamica.

Thanks!

18. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Don't tease!

19. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can confirm. That's what Doran said. I cannot vouch for Doran's accuracy, but I can vouch for the fact that he said it.

20. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Sorry, I'm sure he's not teasing, I was just drunk.

21. pants on fire

pants on fire New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    IL
    I spoke with Ralph a couple of weeks ago before a game (as he noticed my USMNT jersey) and he told me that he hadn't decided which way he would go with in regards to an international commitment and that he wanted to keep open the possibility of playing for the US. Afterwhich I replied how good a US jersey would look on him.

22. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lisbie scored a hat-trick against Liverpool. Damani hasn't scored a hat-trick against anybody yet. And now he's getting called up and he might miss a couple of our matches. Brilliant...