Ralph for Jam on Oct 12, US Cup Final Oct 15

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Technic, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Technic

Technic New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    I understand that Damani is being called for a Jamaica friendly against Brazil in England on Oct. 12, but don't we have a match on the Oct. 10th and then the US Open Cup on the 15th? Will we lose him for both or is that enough time for him to come back.

As I understand it, that is a FIFA recognized day for international matches so I think they have every right to call him at the expence of the Fire. This sucks if it is true but it will be extremely good exposure for the young man and the MLS I guess.

2. Technic

Technic New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    So does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

3. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think a club has to release a player for a friendly match, only fifa sanctioned tournaments.

4. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, actually they do.

Remeber a few years ago the Australia vs France match that got Arsenal's panties in a wad? Damani will have to go if called.

Same thing for any of the Kiwis in MLS that get called for the NZ - Iran match...

5. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Not if he doesn't want to....

6. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    This some bull s**t.

This is far too important a part of the season for Damani to leave the team to play in fraking England.

If the situation were reversed they'd never release the player at this point in the season.

Damani: Just say NO.

7. Technic

Technic New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Ok, so its been confirmed, we seem to have lost him for that week. I mean, who would turn down a chance to play against Brazil. This should be a great chance for him to showcase his skills to the world. I just hope he remembes who gave him a chance to be known. Us, the Chicago Fire. No one else.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20030930/sports/sports2.html

8. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is freakin' rediculous that we'd lose him down the stretch like this -- particularly for the Open Cup final.

9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he plays on the 12th I don't see why he coudn't come back and play on the 15th.

10. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    I don't see how a friendly takes precedence over a CUP FINAL with your club side. I would understand if this was just another league game and it wasn't that big of a deal but this is a very serious game.

11. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Maybe if MLS paid attention to the FIFA world schedule ....??

I don't know, but it's a thought.

12. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    This is crap. If we lose him for the Final I'll be pissed. No excuse.

I'd rather not have him miss the match on the 10th either. And I thought he wanted to see about eventually making the US squad?

I'm unabashedly club before country, especially when it comes to stupid friendlies like this. We pay his salary. We shouldn't lose him for crucial games like this, unless it was a WCQ or something of that ilk, and we shouldn't lose him even then anyway because there shouldn't be a conflict.

13. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Please. For the most part they do, and they don't ignore it any more than, say, Mexico or Brasil does.

And if you are talking about the USOC Final, that's a USSF event, not an MLS one.

The FIFA calendar is far from standardised yet.

14. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end, it's up to Damani. If he decides to abandon his team in the cup final, and risk throwing away all the work that the team has done up til this point, then it is his decision. I won't blame jamaica if he does. We'll just need to reevaluate his commitment to the team.

15. lammygeek

lammygeek New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    minneapolis mn
    The thing that will really frost my a$$ is if he doesn't start or play.

Somewhat less significantly, will Williams also be called up for this match? I didn't see his name in the article linked above.

16. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It mentions Williams, so I guess we'll be without him too. In reality the article is more about who could be "new" to the team compared to recent games. Andy Williams is mentioned in regard to another midfielder trying to break into the team having to compete with the established midfielders.

17. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, yea this situation could royally suck.

18. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And there's no way to reschedule the match on our side, either, right? Balls...

19. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, this could royally suck. Damani Gets the Call-Up [MLSnet.com]
    The article mentions October 8th :) as the date the Jams will be together. So he will definetly miss the game on the 10th. Here's hoping he can make it back for the OC Final.

20. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit

...shit.

21. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    This is the most depressing thread I've read in a long time.

22. Absolut Fire

Absolut Fire Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, we will all be sad that Damani is going to miss the Soldier Field opener on the 10th but why are people going crazy and thinking that Damani will miss the Open Cup final on the Oct.15. Last time I checked it did not take 3 days to fly from England to the U.S. Also Damani most like wont play the full 90mins for Jamaica. He probably will come in as a second half sub. This is a good call up for Damani. How could he turn down one of the few (his second) opportunity with the National team especially in a friendly where Brazil is bringing their full squad.

23. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    Damani won't be there for our glorious home opener at NSF. That is more than enough reason to be seriously pissed.

24. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Ok. Let's said the US had a big friendly in, say Argentina and they were bringing their full team and all. Say it was sometime in April or May.

Say there was a young right back of ours playing in Italy whose team not only had a semi-important match for placement that weekend, but also had a cup or european match that coming wednesday.

Do you think there is any way in hell the club would let the player go? Why should we be different?

The important matches are HERE right now. At this point we're capable of clinching the East that Saturday night and be here to prep for the USOC final instead of flying to England and back. Damani should stay, period.

25. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    It certainly is a ram job from Jamaica. The manager had tons of opportunity to call him up all summer and skipped every one and now that we are playing for a championship and league final that he was a big part of, we have to lose him for a stupid friendly in England?

Plenty of times I have seen news blurbs about this player or that player who would normally have been called up was not because his club was in the hunt for something. Here we are in the hunt for 2 things and he calls him up so we miss him for both?

Bah. A pox on them! A pox!