Rallye Deutschland

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by vflkirwan, Aug 27, 2002.

1. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the first time in the WRC, I was impressed. The roads seemed to vary day by day. The tight narrow roads were really challenging as were the tight hair pins and junctions.

AND those two major accidents were MAJOR. That Focus one was brutal......

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    For an asphalt rally, it was pretty interesting. Good that they had amateur video of that Kremer crash because it was intense. I was amazed that neither driver nor co-driver was injured since the car was torn right open. And then the fire. It was cool to watch the view ahead from the drivers who followed it - first, confusion as they passed the ambulance going to the scene, then dead silence as they saw the black smoke billowing up ahead. They must've feared the worst.

Oh, and the racing was good, too :)

3. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that Kremer crash was nuts. He hit really hard. I'm amazed how sh!t like that happens and these people walk out, yet you or I go 30 mph and hit something and we're like dead.....

4. slipknotter

slipknotter New Member

May 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's almost as bad as Makinen's crash in Argentina or Solberg's crash in Finland a couple of years ago. Congrats to Loeb. He seems to be one of the better up and coming drivers. I hope Citroen gets McRae with Loeb for next season. Then Ford can take the money they save on McRae's salary and develop the car and maybe win a championship with Sainz in 2004. Citroen is aiming to win the title by 2004. It all breaks down to who can outrun the Peugeots.

5. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Pretty sweet to see some people who enjoy the rally series....... the speed channel does a nice job every week of going over the weeks action.

I was lucky enough to see an exhibition run by team Subaru and Ford in Ireland....man those baby's rip right by you, it's insane to watch.

My money is on the Peugot 206 rally cars...those things are just sweet. They never break down and are always running at the top of field day in and day out. They do suck in the snow though....I think it was in March '02 in Finland where they drove off the course and did about 6 barrell rolls into a set of pine trees. I was very impressed at the how well the car held up.

One of these days someone has to get an Irish driver out there....maybe even try and bring back Jimmy Greaves.

6. slipknotter

slipknotter New Member

May 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't know about any Irishmen in rallying but there's rumor to be an Irish tarmac rally for 2004. Richard Burns and Colin McRae both declared it should be done to make up for some of the crap asphalt rallies out there. But with 4 rallies left, 3 on gravel 1 on tarmac, chances are McRae can still make a comeback despite the crap runs Ford makes on tarmac, but I still put my money on the 206's at this point in the season as well.