Raising Private donations for STL MLS - Selling Scarves

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by WerderBremenYank, May 17, 2008.

1. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it a decent idea?

Come up with a scarf design, take orders for them, sell them at a profit and give the funds to SLSU to help raise the team?

I know it would be relatively small change, but its a signal of intent, and it would also raise the profile of SLSU and the Gateway City Supporters Club if they started showing up in other MLS stadiums with STL Scarves aloft.

Your thoughts?

also, here is a very rough idea for one such scarf, my graphic design skills pale in comparison to the talent we have on this board. Hopefully one of them will take a crack at a design...

[​IMG]

note* 'Ad Augusta Per Angusta' means "to high places by narrow roads" just thought it sounded pretty cool

2. raven65az

raven65az New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    St. Charles, MO
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I dig it!:cool: This will probably drag on forever, just like the kit thread.

3. sirfallsalot_2000

Apr 18, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I am sure Eads Brigade has something like this up their sleeves for supporters scarves. Plus, we would just be guessing at a team name for this scarf. A supporters scarf would last no matter what the team name.

4. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think scarves are a great idea, but I would be worried if Copper needed a bake sale to raise money.

5. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    certainly,

hopefully it will be done :)

6. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sell pot brownies instead............. you'll have enough cash within a year. :D

7. raven65az

raven65az New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    St. Charles, MO
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Just like SOB did. Plus it encourages people to ask "What exactly is this "Ead's Brigade" stuff about?

Scott

8. Sode10

Sode10 New Member

May 16, 2008
    I totally agree selling scarves would be a great way to raise private donations. But I think a golf tourney would be a good idea to raise money for the scarves plus would get “us” started in raising private donations. It would also create a marketing stir in the St. Louis area. Let me know if this is a good idea and I can set up a tourney no problem.

WerderBremenYankee
    I went to De Smet too. Was Fuchs around when you played?

9. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, I didn't play for our HS team, but I did captain a successful indoor soccer team :p Die Toten Hosen FC

10. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    Why would we need a fundraiser to sell scarves as a fundraiser? I don't get it.

11. Sode10

Sode10 New Member

May 16, 2008
    scarves cost money dude

12. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    But doesn't a golf tournament cost money too? It's not clear to me that renting a golf course is going to require less money up front than ordering scarves.

13. Sode10

Sode10 New Member

May 16, 2008
    This is true, but you would have extra capital to invest in the scarves. For example, you pay $70-100 for the tournament. The cost per player is $40-60 depending on where you play. You use that extra $10-40 ($70-60=$10, $100-60=$40) per player to buy the scarves. So, let’s say you get 144 players to play in a four-man scramble (18*4=72, 72*2=144) that’s 2 flights, you could potentially make $1440-$5760 to invest in the scarves. Plus, it would draw interest from people who aren’t necessarily on this board or even know that St. Louis is trying to bring a MLS team to St. Louis.

14. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    I don't know much about golf, but I'm guessing that in order to organize a golf tournament, you need to first give them a deposit to reserve the course for that date. I don't know how much that would be, but I assume it's expensive, because you have to cover all the money they would have made that day, and you end up losing money if you can't get enough players to sign up. With scarves, you could just make a design, find out how many people want to get one, find out the price for that number, collect the money, and order that number. You could break even if you only sell 1. There's very little risk. Plus, it's a more natural relationship to sell scarves to a group of soccer fans than it is to sell golf to a bunch of soccer fans. I'm not saying a golf tournament is a bad idea, but selling scarves seems like a better place to start for a small organization.

15. Sode10

Sode10 New Member

May 16, 2008
    Actually I have organized tournaments before and you don’t lose money you make money. That’s why charity organizations have golf tournaments every summer and yes the charity organizations do pay to play.

16. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    I realize that lots of organizations have them, and they can make money, but my question is how many people do you need to play in the tournament to make money? From your example it sounded like you would need to rent the whole golf course. If you need to rent the whole golf course, you're going to pay the same amount no matter how many players you get, right? So if you don't get enough players, you run the risk of losing money. That was my concern. Maybe I don't understand how they work. You obviously have more experience with this than I do. Can you explain it to me?

17. Sode10

Sode10 New Member

May 16, 2008
    It's different for different courses. They'll usually work with you on a price per player as opposed to just renting the course out. I'm pretty sure this will be my last post, so good luck with whatever type of fundraising you guys decide to do.

18. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    I hope my questions didn't scare you away. I'm sure the Eads Brigade can use people like you who are passionate about soccer and have fundraising experience.