Railhawks vs chicago sockers u-23's

Discussion in 'North Carolina FC' started by justakid, May 26, 2009.

1. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Railhawks are going to play an exhibition against the Chicago Sockers U-23 squad the week of June 22nd. I'm not sure of the exact date yet, but I'll see what I can find out. Bret Hall is going to bring his side east for some "tune up" matches previous to leaving for their tour in Norway and Sweden July 4th thru late August. Some of the Sockers players will be on trials while across the water. The last USL team they played was the Minnesota Thunder, which the Sockers defeated 2-1 a couple of weeks back.

2. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    will be interested to see if the RailHawks promote this as a regular exhibition match or this is simply a scrimmage on one of the practice fields.

Between the US Open Cup matches and regular season matches in June, I'm guessing they won't want to make a big deal out of this one.

3. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    If tickets are free then I would go, if I wasn't working. I'm trying to save money to pay for tuition and parking since I have 1 semester left in the fall. btw, I should be able to make it to our first USOC game, if we host.

4. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure, but when they played the Thunder is was promoted as a fundraiser exhibition that raised money for the youth programs. It should be an interesting match. The Sockers are a solid side with some very capable talent. I think the team will be driving in from Chicago to play so that can be pretty detrimental to quality of play. Regardless it should be some good soccer.

5. Soccer-Man II

Soccer-Man II Member

Jun 5, 2009
    I think it will be worth seeing but I agree the team will not want to make too big a deal of it with the Open Cup and everything.

6. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Railhawks will play the Chicago Sockers U-23's in an exhibition Monday night at 7pm. The guys I spoke with had no idea where they were playing it, anybody have any information ?

7. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amateur side Chicago Sockers U-23's played the Railhawks to a 2-2 draw tonight. The Sockers had the Rails down 2-0 when they scored on a breakaway goal. The 2nd goal for the Railhawks came when the Sockers keeper when up to catch a ball and was run into by the Railhawks forward dislodging the ball and tapping it into the goal mouth. All things said the Sockers played a good Railhawks side to a hard fought draw at their house. Was anybody out there at the match tonight that can offer more information.

8. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Socker U23's are playing the Charlotte Eagles as I write this and will play the Railhawks in a rematch on Thursday at 10 am. It should be an interesting match on Thursday now that they have seen each other play once. The Sockers had them down 2 nil and gave up two late goals that they shouldn't have.

9. Moki

Moki Member

Jul 16, 2004
    USA
    The sockers were fortunate to escape with the tie. Don't get me wrong. They are a big fast pdl side and very athletic. And also very young. If they listen to their coach it should lead to their development against better sides. The Railhawks are a better side. Their non professional sloppy play on tuesday belies the fact that a professional side will dispatch a less experienced side more often than not. It' s nothing more than experience and takes nothing away from the Sockers. Youthful short tempers on Chicago's part resulted in the tying goal by the 'hawks.

10. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard the same after the fact, I was told of a "stupid" red card on a hard tackle for the Sockers resulting in a quick start breakaway for the Railhawks goal. They are a solid side, but yes they are young and impulsive. I didnt hear how they gave up the first goal..any idea ? Just told the Sockers tied with the Eagles 1-1.

11. Moki

Moki Member

Jul 16, 2004
    USA
    It might be a little harsh to label the ejection "stupid". I would call it high octane testosterone. It can be hard to keep in check. Ha. The quck start caught the Sockers standing around reflecting on the sending off. Actually it was the Socker's coach who pulled the youngster to "counsel". Experience will correct that.

Got there too late for the first goal.

A good match would be the Clarets U23 vs Chicago Sockers U23. The Clarets lost by a late goal to a good Mens U17 National team tonight.

12. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What were your thoughts on the Sockers keeper and the 2nd goal, should the keeper have made that save ?

13. Moki

Moki Member

Jul 16, 2004
    USA
    I have difficulty finding fault with most keepers' play. They make errors like anyone else. But so much depends on the play of players of both teams in his face. Defending such a large area with multiple individuals peppering at him/her is a remarkable feat. That being said, his play was certainly well done. Did he have a decent chance of preventing the goal? I believe so. Not necessarily by stopping the shot but by communicating with his own players.

14. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago Sockers U23's prevailed over the Railhawks by a score of 1 nil this morning after 3 periods of intense hot scrimmaging. Thats all I have is a score, please feel free to add some match details if you have them. All I know is that the Sockers scored very late in the match.

15. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the number of matches we've played in the last two weeks and the showdown on Saturday night with first place Puerto Rico, I'm guessing these two games meant very little to the 'Hawks and Martin probably used all the players at his disposal over the course of the 90 minutes.

I hope that got some set piece work out of it at least.

16. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree, but I would also say that there is no need for the Railhawks to feel badly losing to the Sockers, as Brett Hall is a very, very good coach and the Sockers are a very good side with a lot of top talent from all over the country. I would venture to say that the Sockers would give a lot of sides a run for their money on any given day.

17. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I'm sure they don't feel bad about it. They understood the context of this scrimmages and knowing Martin, he probably had a whole list of things he wanted them to work on duing them.

Considering the bad calls / red cards we've had go against us, I'm surprised we didn't play some of the 30 minute sessions with only 10 players to practice playing a man down