RailHawks vs. Atlanta - 5/10/2008 (Southern Derby)

Discussion in 'North Carolina FC' started by thegreatcrab, May 6, 2008.

1. thegreatcrab

thegreatcrab Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Brighton, MA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To all TSF members or anyone associated with TSF:

We are planning a massive tailgate (hopefully) in our usual location. Here is a map for those who do not know where that is: http://trisoccerfan.com/nucleus/ind...+SAS+Soccer+Park+showing+the+precise+location

For the Atlanta match this Saturday we would like everyone to come and participate. We'll be starting about 2 hours before kickoff (so about 5:30). If you'd like to come treat this like a church pot-luck. Bring a dish and dig in. If you would like to bring anything big such as tables (we could use a couple) or a tent please email Greg at glarance AT bellsouth.net He will be planning the specific logistics.

We're also looking for someone to bring a grill. Our normal grill guy with a large portable pop up grill will not be here, so we're looking for someone with one. Otherwise we can use our tiny charcoal thing.

If you have any questions email me (mlarance AT gmail.com) or my father Greg.

Can't wait to see everyone!

2. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: RailHawks vs. Atlanta May 10th 2008 Tailgate Info Here!

I'm looking forward to this big time. I've got three friends from England coming in to join us for this one.

3. londonowl

londonowl New Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Hertfordshire

Can't wait...it's my first ever Railhawks game.

Bring it on!

4. londonowl

londonowl New Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Hertfordshire

There are now four of us coming out from England and we've all decided to wear our respective team shirts, so look out for Sheffield Wednesday, Tottenham, Southampton and Ipswich Town :)

5. thegreatcrab

thegreatcrab Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Brighton, MA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You crazy Brits.

I approve.

6. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Graduation is tomorrow so I won't be able to make it, bummer

7. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Graduation or a Southern Derby tie? Where are your priorities man? :)

8. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Believe me, it wasn't an easy decision

9. Champ16

Champ16 New Member

Dec 10, 2004

Everyone, keep in mind the RailHawk women play the Carolina Dynamo on Saturday at 5:30 at the Bryan Park Stadium. I was thinking this would be an easy one for the Railhawks, as loaded as they are, but I just found out the CD have several Wake Forest and UNC Charlotte players, so it may be more competitive than I thought. I'll be there, so if anyone wants to know the score at the tailgate party, leave me a number and I will call you with the results.

10. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Bad" news for the Silverbacks...

11. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just finished watching the game on USL Live, what a sucky goal to give up by McClellan

good to see Walker open his account

and how does Long get 90 minutes? seriously

12. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That pretty much sums it up, on all three points. Here's my report:
    http://trisoccerfan.com/index.php?itemid=1030

We've now drawn Atlanta 4 out of 6 times we've played.

13. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. treefire

treefire Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lillehammer
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The team looked largely terrible for the first half hour. To me, the team just seems to look odd - like they are not really sure of themselves or each other. There are a couple players who look like they aren't focussed enough, one or two that look like they are not really sure what to do in their positions, and a couple more who actually, to me, look over-focussed, like they are a bit wound up - maybe feeling some career or life pressure? Passing and player movement aren't fluid... the movement really, to me, seems the biggest problem, as not "knowing" where other players will be hurries clearances and leads to passes to nowhere, all too often picked off by the other team. The whole team imporved as the game went on, though, as one would expect... it's just a shame they don't get a bit more of a pre-season, as it seemed last year that by the time they started to get used to each other, players started dropping out from injury and they rarely looked settled.

Watson looks to show promise. Antoniuk continues to impress. I think he and Edozien are getting closer to linking up. Long was lucky not to see yellow for a midfield tackle that the ref allowed play to continue through, and chased the game for most of the 90 minutes. Never gave up, though, and seemed to find his way a bit better in the last 20 minutes or so. Defense seems shaky this year - but there are a couple new players back there, and I don't think they are getting quite as much protection from the midfield. On the other hand, the midfield seems to be getting a bit more attacking going, which is good. Lemons seems a fair footballer, but he looks to me to be playing out of position, and has been tentative against opponents who beat him once or twice (Kanji and Toure notably), resulting in a lot of time for them to use the ball. Perhaps he'll grow into it a little bit, or we'll see someone else forced into the left back position, as there still doesn't seem to be a natural left back on the team (Norkus did a fair job last year... but, looking at his record, that doesn't seem his "natural" position).

On the second Railhawks goal - I stand right behind the goal, and I didn't see anyone touch it after Antoniuk. I saw the ball come off a very soft touch from his head, and then bounce in. I guess I could have missed a foot touching the ball as someone raced across... but that really looked like his goal from where I was standing.

A shame to see Chris get beat at the near post, when he makes so many great, difficult saves. On the other hand, it's a also a real shame to see one of their players unmarked in that position, with a great look at the goal and time to tee up a hard shot. These guys know better than to lose focus like that right after a goal. Professionals. U10 mistakes.

Last comment - I'm a bit disappointed with the reffing. My other sport is wrestling, and, frankly, if I wanted to see a bunch of guys grab and throw each other on the ground, I'd go to a wrestling match. It wouldn't make me unhappy if they'd call a bit of the pawing early on, so that we wouldn't have to see a couple yellows a game from players getting frustrated as they go down and dragging an opponent down with them. If the ref's reading this - watch the game. These guys are getting grabbed, pulled out of the way, and then fighting to keep their feet/position, and then grabbing back. Call the upper body stuff early, and give us a chance to watch the players play with their feet. Also, honestly, when Antoniuk can't get two inches off the ground whenever that defender is behind him - you know what's going on, maybe you should do something about it? Speaking of watching the game, I found it odd that, after completely missing Curfman's horrible foul late in the game, the ref just ceased watching the game for about 40 secs as he spoke with the complaining silverbacks players, allowing play to just go on without him. Shameful.

16. GPerry

GPerry New Member

May 13, 2008

Good points Treefire. Overall I agree with your assessment of the game, but I have a couple of different takes.

The first half was awful, with the exception of McClellan and the back line. They were pretty solid considering they were under fire practically the whole half. The offense couldn’t sustain any possession. The Silverbacks first goal was very good. It didn’t seem like anyone could stay with Toure. He was slicing and dicing and we were a bit lucky not to be down two or three goals.

I would agree about not ‘knowing’ each other, but the second half showed the problem with offense. The first half was all long ball, errant long ball. Everything was hurried with no short combination or build up. Particularly Curfman was way off. You could see his intended target, but every ball was 10, 20, 30 yards off. I hope he is better than he showed in this game (he did have a great left footed cross late in the second half). Like the newspaper said, the coach must have said just the right things at the half, because they came out a different team. All the sudden it seemed like every ball had a purpose, played to the feet nearly every time. None of those long searching balls.

Segovia and Stokes were very solid. I hope they both stay healthy.

I thought the same thing on the Railhawk’s second goal. All I saw was Ant’s slight header. But a reply on the late night news, from a different angle, clearly showed Walker getting a toe on it.

Last comment: Better get used to the physical play. It appears to be Antoniuk’s forte. We need that physical presence up front, plus he appears to have the skills to score on a regular basis. Keep in mind that the Silverbacks (his old team) were very aware of the damage he could do and started the shoving and shirt pulling from the first kick off. I wouldn’t say the ref was particularly good (I’d give him a 5), but I did appreciate that he didn’t go for the Silverbacks dives and complaining. They were playing him pretty hard. Curfman’s second half foul didn’t look like much from my angle, but I could be wrong. But three Silverbacks chasing the ref around the field, getting in his face…I’d have pulled out the cards for that.