RAI in the USA?

Discussion in 'Italy' started by HuntKop, Aug 25, 2006.

1. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just wondering if anyone has information on which (if any) cable companies carry RAI in the USA.

It's frustrating seeing all of the good programming (including calcio) available, with no way to see it.

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    RAI International (which carries a mixture of programming from RAI 1,2,3 and Sport Satellite as well as its own programming) is available in the USA via Dish network and is also now on the digital tier of many cable systems.

3. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks, I'll keep checking the local cable companies - just don't think it's available in this area.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Dish has been a great provider for me for 8 years now.

5. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Time Warner Cable, the cable provider I use, carries it.

6. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks everyone - even Time Warner Columbus doesn't seem to offer it.

7. divinocodino1018

Oct 18, 2005
    Boston
    Comcast offers it as well.

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I've been looking at options to Dish since their DVRs might get turned off soon, and it looks like RAI is also available on my local Adelphia system (soon to be Comcast) as a premium channel.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time Warner Binghamton doesn't offer it either. I usually head to my parents come Sunday, they've got it through DISH Network.

10. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I have it on Dish. The only problem is that...

You have to get America's Top 180, $49.99 p/m, to get Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV
    RAI Intl it's $19.99 for the Italian package... And you need the SuperDish
    Then it's $24.99 to get DishLatino which has ESPNDeportes and Fox Sports en Espanol.

I just have the Everything Pack with the Italian and DishLatino package add-ons. Luckily my daughter is bright enough to require college funds...

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Yep, I've got the Everything Pack and RAI as well - so far, I've just made do without the DishLatino. And I haven't been too worried about whether Setanta comes onboard (rumors say it should happen soon) because I'm not anxious to pay the extra $12 or whatever it'll be for that.

I'm really worried about the DVRs possibly going away though. I'd have a really hard time adjusting to life without them.

12. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Setanta is mostly EPL, right? No worries there. What's this about DVRs going away?

13. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, whats that about the DVRs? I got a cheap one from Dish about a year ago and its perfect and I don't even pay the 5$ service monthly fee. Whats going on?

14. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Not sure that I could go on without DVR... Would I actually have to sit through commercials (or whatever they're called)?

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  16. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only reason I get things done throughout the day is because I know my box is at home recording what I can't be there for.

17. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy shit, after reading that article, boy I am glad my father doesn't have a contract agreement with DISH and if anything happened bad enough, we could jump ship instantly.

18. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Setanta is for EPL/Championship, with some Euro qualifies, friendlies, CL matches, and a garbage shows dedicated to Chelsea and some other bogus Premiership team. You also get rugby on it.

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I'm soo hoping they just settle and set up some sort of licensing agreement, or maybe Echostar will just buy Tivo. If not, supposedly, you can use Tivos with Dish, but it sounds cumbersome to me (plus I'm pissed at Tivo). Even if my DVRs get shut off (and believe me, I've been transferring my precious recordings like Italy's WC games to DVD as quickly as possible), I'll probably give them a little time to work it out. I can always go back to (gag) VHS for a little while if necessary. But if nothing happens to fix it SOON, it's off to cable for me.

20. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't do cable brah, I like getting programming by Eastern times, makes me feel like I'm ahead of everyone here. I won't go back! I've got some very old Arsenal games on my DVR FSC happened to replay, old FA Cup Finals and some more recent great games, also the Roma 2-0 Lazio game of last year but I've got no DVD recorder to transfer them to, and I'd rather not go through the whole thing of trying to plug in my VCR with this surround system I've got set up, it'd just take too long. I will just look to buy these games on DVD.

21. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    I get RAI on Adelphia here in Orlando. They show several games including Serie B and internationals.

22. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I had Rai on Dish ever since it was available in 1996 I believe until last September when Rai became available in Canada through Bell Express Vu.Same exact feed that they use in the USA but at 2.50 Canadian a month compared to 9.99 plus a 5 dollar service fee if you only get Rai from Dish.There are a couple of ways to get Bell in the USA the best is to have a relative in Canada whose address that you can use. Have them order the service and equipment and then send it to you but never plug the phone line into the back of the receiver or they will shut you down. If this is not an option then you can use a broker like canamsatellites or kusat who provide you with an address and equipment for a yearly 75 dollar fee. Believe me at the moment Bell is probably the best provider in North America for a soccer fan especially an Italian. In the future though look for Verizon Fios TV to put a hurting on Dish and cable companies like Comcast. At the moment this service is available in a few select states but from looking at their programming and their prices I think they will take over the market in a few years.

23. dah_sab

dah_sab New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Even though it looks bad re: Tivo v. DISH I have a hard time believing a judge is going to enforce an order which would effectively put DISH out of business. I'd expect (and hope for) a serious financial penalty instead. Or settlement out of court. Please.

You may remember in the recent past the makers of the Blackberry looked in to be in serious trouble when it appeared a court decision on patent infringement would force them to essentially turn off all Blackberries. Didn't happen.

Of course the two cases are different but where they are the same is in the fact that a large number of Average Americans would be punished in addition to the companies involved were DISH be forced to turn off their DVRs or RIM their Blackberries.

Of course none of this helps DISH in the short term what with the bad PR and all.

Agreed that ExpressVu is an excellent choice for TV to go along with DISH. TeleLatino supplements RAI nicely, Sportsnet fills some of the Setanta gaps, and TSN, RDS and TLN also add some options for Champions League viewing.

24. forzareggina

forzareggina Member

Reggina
    United States
    Aug 24, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Reggina Calcio
    ******** time warner
    i've had so many problems with them i'm never going back
    and yeah they suck. the only good thing about their package is FSC
    and they piss me off that they don't offer rai or gol

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Supposedly, the Dish Network offers as many as 5 different Italian chnls. I think you can get that many plus a radio chnl if you pay $19.99 a month. Actually just the Rai International on Comcast costs like 10.99 a month so I think the dish has a better deal.

I never understood why Berlusconi hasn't gotten his Chnl 5 and his other chnls in the USA just yet? Does anyone know why? Maybe its on some type of satelite but I can never find it. Comcast doesn't have it.