RAI channel

Discussion in 'Italy' started by dogface, Aug 9, 2002.

1. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have a basic question. I just started subscribing to the Dish network here in the states and noticed that the RAI channel is available for an individual subscription (al la carte) at 9$ a month. The channel description says that it offers Italian and European soccer games. My question is what matches do they usually show on RAI? Just Serie A? Any other European leagues?
    When I check the website soccertv.com, I can't find what upcoming matches RAI has scheduled. Any responses would be appreciated -- thanks.

2. Mark Coker

Mark Coker Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Seattle,WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had it for a few years now. RAI International only shows the Italian Leagues. Last season there was a live Serie A match on Sunday, with the evening (in Italy) match shown on a 2-hour delay. There's the odd smattering of Serie B and even lower division matches, but it's not predictable. There is substantial post-match analysis: La Giostra dei Gol, Novantessimo Minuto, and Domenica Sportiva.

Rights issues cloud the following: UEFA Cup matches (I've seen 'em), Champions League matches (can't remember seeing 'em) and national team matches (sometimes, they're on).

Since Serie A doesn't kick off until the end of the month, it might be a bit premature. I avoid giving Oliver the hits...I'd check out RAI's site http://www.international.rai.it/ for a schedule.

3. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    I could be wrong but as far as I've heard most of the TV rights in Italy are still up in the air. I can't get the RAI channel but I get a public broadcasting station from NY (WNYE) that shows a lot of international coverage.

Last year they showed a Serie A match on Sunday morning (11am EST which conflicts with the EPL PPV match!) usually on a 2hr-delay and then a highlight show 90m Minuto. As Mark mentioned if you get the actual channel they do show Serie B matches, I believe on Friday afternoons but it's pretty scattered.

4. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for the help

5. Coppernob

Coppernob New Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Rai International

As said they show a whole Serie A game.

The other programs:

Novantesimo minuto is highlights of all the Serie A games of the day

Domenica Sportiva contains both highlights and much more in studio analysis, plus the dreaded "moviola" the slow-mo to hound the referees with.

You might get Uefa but you certainly won't get Champions as the Italian rights are held by Mediaset and not rai.

Coppernob

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get one live game on Sunday morning, one tape delayed game Sunday afternoon.

You get the shows that were mentioned above.

You get one Serie B game a week.

You also get A Tutto B, a Serie B highlights show, usually on Mondays.

You will only get Coppa Uefa games if an Italian team is playing.

You will get all of the Italian National Teams EURO 2004 qualifiers, as long as RAI is showing them in Italy. You will also get 98% of the Italian NT friendlies.

During the WC in 1998, they even showed the Italian WC games.

7. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    You forget: during Euro 2000, they even had the nerve to show Italy's first round game (against Belgium?), before Setanta got mad and stopped them.

8. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    SoccerTV

RAI is expected to have the rights to Serie A matches this year.

9. Rich B

Rich B New Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Brian:

I checked your link and I see no mention of it.

Rich B.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Remember, there are two RAI's available in the US. There is RAI International and RAI Italia. RAI International is what is on DISH and has shown in the past one live game and one taped game per weekend, plus various UEFA Cup, Serie B and C games during the week, along with all the highlights shows somebody else listed above. They used to show Coppa games as well but didn't last year.

RAI Italia is an over-the-air subset of RAI programming that is transmitted only a few hours per day and telecast mainly via small channels in cities with large Italian populations eg Channel 25 in NYC, Channel 13 in Hartford, etc. It usually carries one tape-delayed game per weekend.

I don't think the TV rights are finalized in Italy yet, much less for their international feeds. But I'd be surprised if RAI doesn't have the rights.

I do think they continue to have rights to the Azzurri's home games for a while. In fact, the Italy vs Slovenia friendly is scheduled to be shown on RAI International live Wed Aug 21.

RAI International's website is:

http://www.international.rai.it/tv/

They usually publish the next week's schedule each Friday although everybody in Italy is on vacation in August, so nobody's updating it right now.

La Giostra dei Gol's' site is sometimes updated sooner than Friday during the season with which game is scheduled for RAI International for the upcoming weekend:

http://www.international.rai.it/giostra/index.htm

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that RAI owns a stake in Tele+ in Italy and a lot of teams of contracts with Tele+.

If Tele+ shows a game, RAI has the international rights to it.

12. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    That was just the source. I received an email from SoccerTV.

13. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    to my biggest surprise no one mentioned Ilaria D'Amico as one of the reason to get RAI international :eek:

;)

btw,the tv rights are still up in the air because RAI wants to pay 50% of what they used to and the clubs are balking; there's no other offer on the table though (for highlights on public tv,of course)

14. Rich B

Rich B New Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Sue:
    Being that I live in NJ, I've been watching that Sunday morning (only) match for years.

Brian:
    Cool. How does one "get on the mailing list"?

Rich B.

15. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Enter your email address at the top of the page where it says, "SoccerTV Update - Alerts via e-mail."

16. tpm

tpm New Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    Here's a story confirming the above re: RAI and tv rights:
    http://www.soccernet.com/europe/news/2002/0819/20020819italytv.html

17. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    the director of sports section of RAI has declared optimistic about the finalizing of an agreement between the public network and lega calcio for the next three years as soon as wednesday; mr. Francia will meet Lega president Galliani monday morning with all intentions to close the deal on both sides,for a sum ranging between € 150 and 170 millions

18. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    this is an e-mail i received,i think american fans of serie A might find it inteesting