Rafa announces 4 signings

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Suss, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Bolo Zenden was unvailed as a Liverpool player today. Also, Rafa announced that Liverpool have competed the signings of Jose Reina, Mark Gonzalez, and Antonio Barragan.

Rafa has promised that there is still 2 or 3 more signings to come.

The Liverpool boss said: "We have today introduced Bolo Zenden as a Liverpool player but we have also signed Jose Reina, the best goalkeeper in Spain, Mark Gonzales, the best player in Chile and Antonio Barragan.

"We will be signing two or three more players this week."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N149238050704-1312.htm

2. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this won't make Gerrard a happy camper

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Mark Gonzalez isn't the best player in Chile, but whatever.......
    Where do you expect to play Zenden, out of curiosity? He wasn't very good for us on the wing, and played much better for Boro in a more central role.

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This has already been discussed to death in the transfer thread. Zenden could play on the left wing in a 4-4-2, or behind the front man in a 4-5-1. He could play as a LF in a 4-3-3, or as a wingback in a 3-5-2. He is a versatile player that builds the depth in the squad.

5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Oh, sorry, didn't look at the transfer thread. But if you plan on using him as a winger, I really think you'll be as frustrated as we were when we tried to make Bolo play wide.

6. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  7. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zenden

I'm not the coach, but I'm thinking Zenden is going to be cover for both wide and more central positions. It seems like Rafa wanted someone with some EPL experience this time. Zenden will also probably start some, I'm guessing, when the fixture list gets really congested, but I don't think this is a transfer anyone is all that excited about. Cheap-ish, practical stuff. It's like spending money on plumbing.

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Re: Zenden

I wonder how Bolo will take to being Liverpool's toilet. ;)

I kid, I kid. Bolo is a good player, but I do wonder how long he'll be willing to be a "squad" player, if he's not going to start. And our experiences with him told us he's not very good on the wing.
    (Prepares - you're Chelsea, you're one to talk about squad players! comments. :))

9. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think most everybody agrees that Zenden's best season, being the last one, was not spent playing on the wing, really. He's a tweener, as they would say in NBA parlance- Decent, but he doesn't really have all that natural of a position, and an incongruous collection of skills and tendencies.

Given the relative dearth of quality wingers, it just seems like if you're at all pacey, people will still insist on trying you there, since every gaffer thinks he has the magic touch and can get the best out of a player . . . . .

10. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Why? I don't think his spot is in jeopardy.

11. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's referring to the fact that in the last couple weeks, Gerrard has been upset that his new contract negotiations have been put off to work out other players' contracts. Little Stevie wants all the attention.

12. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a TALL keeper. The page you linked says he's 6'1". For a second I thought we signed Crouch and put him at GK!

13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They must have changed it because I copied and pasted directly from the official site. 6'7" didn't seem right.

14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    We better get some central defenders and right mids here.

A GK, an 18 yr old, and 2 left wingers(or w/e u want to call them) are not going to win us the Premiership......

15. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You have to start somewhere. The 4 new signings all look like good business to me. And there is no reason to believe that those other areas won't be addressed.

16. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya

EXACTLY and shouldnt that some1 be upset i know he is waitng to see the new signings and if he find rafas stunning new players an iny bit exciting he may stay. ;)

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    True. But we need to get crackin!

What happened to the Milito transfer?

18. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i shall clarify my "happy camper" remark for those not clear on the intent...

Gerrard apparently feels he is being edged out at Anfield, he who wore the Skipper's armband last season. Signing central midfielders to solidfy the depth of the team would not be something he would be pleased with, if he truly feels that Liverpool is willing to flog him off, rather than accede to his (agent's) demands.

so what i was saying is: Gerrard wants to hear the Princess Leia speech in Star Wars Episode IV: "Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope..."

19. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is absolutely right. A very good young keeper for a reasonable price. A seasoned footballer (played at PSV, Chelski, and Barca) for nothing. Two well regarded young players, again for a reasonable cost. This is smart business. Let us see what the next two or three weeks bring.

20. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    These signings can be helpfull next year,but you have to give them a chance.Gonzalez will be usefull,and i rank him as highly as Riise(natural replacement).Zenden is a quality players,hes no robben ,duff,SWP,but hes still very consistent.The young spanish defender,he was very highly rated at sevilla,and was seen as sergio ramos next replacement.I have never seen Reina play before,so i cant realy say anything about him.

Lets think about this logicaly
    Out:-Smicer,Patridge,Biscan
    .................+8 million
    In:-Reina,Gonzalez,Antonio Barragan,Zenden

I think we ended up winning in all this,didnt we?

Plus rafa still has around 15-16 million lets to buy new players.I would love to see a quality player come in,but i would be happy to get 2-3 good but not ¨world class players.¨

21. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    We need "World Class Players" to win the Premiership.

22. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    But you can't win the EPL with a few World Class Players and a few 2mil buys. The team has to be strong in all parts, rather than very strong in a few and weak in others.

23. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    We have a fairly strong team now (Champions League Winners).
    :rolleyes:

We need a few consistently performing World Class players to take us to the higher level of winning the EPL. Or, we need some of the players we have now to start performing at their best consistently(Riise, Garcia, Morientes).

24. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

We have world class players in our squad and we have some other very good players as well. As soon as we develop more squad depth (more guys like Gonzalez, Milito, etc) we will be more consistent b/c the drop-off due to injuries, fatigue, etc won't hit us as hard.

We have a world-class team right now. We just need them to perform at the Watfords and Boltons of the world, not just when we play Juventus and Milan.

More quality signings = more depth, more competition for places, a team that is able to compete for the EPL, FA Cup, and CL. I want us to bring in some "world class" guys like SWP, Owen Hargraves, Aimar, Vicente, etc, etc. But I also want Rafa to build a squad, and that means smart purchases, not just splurges.

Last summer saw us land one pretty big name (Cisse) and a bunch of lesser-known guys (Garcia, Nunez, Alonso). The guys that panned out were a big reason why we won CL.

Trust in Rafa.

25. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    :eek:

But I agree with the rest of the post. ;)