Alert: Radamel Falcao Thread: at least got the Colombian bit right

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cr7torossi, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Welcome El Tigre - best #9 in the business.

[​IMG]

pepinointer, nimma and sab456 repped this.
  2. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    His hair is glorious

LGRod and Drae repped this.
  3. sab456

sab456 Member

May 20, 2007
    Erm... I think my thread title was slightly less flattering.. whatever

Welcome to the big boys, Man United.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Can he play in defence or midfield?

Drae repped this.
  5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hopefully El Tigre hits the ground running. Very interesting purchase. I'm excited to see what becomes of him here and what formation we will play.

We've had a very good transfer window for hair. It would have been epic if we could have lost MopTop and Braiderson.

Invincible, Pulp, SyedZada and 3 others repped this.
  6. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Blinds hair is tremendous.

Anderson was okay until I found out it was weave.

Invincible and benni... repped this.
  7. sab456

sab456 Member

May 20, 2007
    Who needs a midfield when you have got Falcao.. just lump it forward and onwards

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    More than a little perturbed by the receipt of the knowledge that we have acquired the best forward in the game. He's a tremendous player. This opens up a lot of things. Importantly, it may even make room for a Rooney departure. At the very least, we have acquired someone with the goals, style of play and star power to make benching Rooney palatable for sheep and sponsors alike.

The footballing side is of course where most of my interest lies. Having a striker who can make goals out of nothing but also contribute to buildup play while being a handful for CBs and FBs alike is an asset we've not controlled for some time. Combined with the acquisition of AdM and Herrera, it bodes well. Falcao is the kind of player who will make runs that Mata, AdM and co can use.

If Falcao's acquisition and the departures of Cheech, Welbeck and Keane mean that we play the 433 (having finally acquired a proper CF for that formation), then he'll have done his job.

There's part of me that thinks that if we use Wayne as a wingforward or as a foil to Falcao, his competitive juices will flow AND given Falcao's traits, they may actually strike a decent partnership if Wayne can find some form and doesn't go into hero mode.

Pulp, Gnome, nimma and 3 others repped this.
  9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  10. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I await the day lvg says "now I shall change the system"

Invincible, LGRod and cr7torossi repped this.
  11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Utter drivel.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Will also add that while Falcao may not have been expressly needed by the club. Hijacking his acquisition is a HUGE coup. Bringing him in when Madrid wanted him is also exactly the kind of pull that we need to exhibit. Think of how gutted you'd feel if instead of Falcao you got Chicharito! We've been on the receiving end of that shit too often.

Nathan18 and JC7rox repped this.
  13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Its City that im happy about beating out again

Nathan18, JC7rox and johno repped this.
  14. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    His twitter handle has his name in all caps. Its proper amazing!!!

15. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've never seen cr7 this excited about a signing.

Invincible, johno and cr7torossi repped this.
  16. el_pechichon83

Oct 17, 2012
    Cartagena
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Man u has an amazing squad, with di maria, mata, roney, van persey and now falcao..to bad this team is playing champion league futbol this year.

17. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    It is also partly because he is a very nice guy outside of the pitch as well - fits in with Fergie's philosophy of not being a cnut outside football.

Dr. Boots, pepinointer, Nathan18 and 5 others repped this.
  18. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would be a lot more excited about this signing if we had a balanced summer overall. He's clearly a class player and it's hard to turn that down.

19. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is a Fergie esque signing from LvG. Simply too good to resist.

jscott23 and LGRod repped this.
  20. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Its a very splashy and exciting signing.

The question is how will he be used and how is the team setup.

And if we hijacked him from direct rivals like City, and perhaps Arsenal and Liverpool then its a transfer with double the value as we have denied them.

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kind of scared by this move...

hanzellmo repped this.
  22. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Never could I watch this without crying. I Guess because it's easy to see yourself in that kid's view of meeting his hero.

Dr. Boots and pepinointer repped this.
  23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My colleague described it as a show of intent by United. I no longer write sports (except here and occasionally blogging) but I think if I did, and I looked at it objectively, that's exactly what it is. It is the kind of signing that should serve as a notice that the years of 'value' are gone and thank god.

---------------------

As fans we intimately know what the team needs and we have our own ideas of how we should go about that. That's fine and fair. But there's also a fear factor that has gone from the club. That's not derived in central midfield or even by central defenders. It is done with attacking talent.

Yes, it hasn't been efficient, because before settling on a plan a, we've gone out and mixed and matched and got parts for both plan a and plan b but but but but...

We must remember we're among the wealthiest clubs in the world and in order to wield the power that comes with it, we have to actually spend big. Maybe Vidal wasn't available. But having landed Mata then AdM + Falcao in consecutive windows goes some way to making negotiations easier.

It is possible that fitting Mata, Falcao, AdM into one starting xi isn't the wisest choice. But having Mata off the bench or AdM pushed wide is hardly a weakness.

As for the hole in midfield, we can certainly address those in the coming windows but once we get through the shit storm we're currently in Blind/Carrick, Herrera/Cleverley + Mata/AdM is the best grouping of midfielders this club has had since Keane, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Butt

Karloski repped this.
  24. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falcao is faster than Rooney and RVP, which will help Di Maria out tremendously. Some of his balls were too fast for Rooney/RVP to run on to. I think its evident now that we switch to a 4-5-1/4-3-3.

LGRod repped this.
  25. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take Arsenal out of the equation since we gave them Welbs on a silver platter.