Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I remember East St. Louis winning the Illinois HS state title year after year through the Eighties and Nineties. Allegedly per the Internet, my best 1600 meter time was better than their school record, but that's bogus because the school records that are listed only go back to 2009. But I would have been competitive, on, you know, grit and determination.

As I recall, 136 feet is a good total, that certainly should place in a dual meet!

superdave and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    That's a character deserving of a series of detective novels, or movies or a miniseries or something-- I'm picturing a skinny guy who looks a lot like Ho Chi Minh, only very black/brown.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18153 soccernutter, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    That sounds a bit familiar. When I lived in an upper middle class town of LA, mostly White/Taiwanese/other East Asian, my junior year, we had a guy who would have made the state final in the 100 and 200 but pulled his thigh (or hammy) during the state semifinals. A Jewish guy (though I never saw him dress/behave in a Jewish manner, so I considered him non-denominational White). And we had a couple of distance runners who made the Southern Section finals. We were a 2A school, and would beat schools who were 4A occasionally*. It was fun.

Once there was a rumor we were going to have a dual meet, or maybe a quad meet involving Muir High School. I am so glad we did not. Muir High School, in the 1980s, was pretty much the third sister to Long Beach Poly and Long Beach Wilson for females, and was well above us for males. The number of Olympic athletes from those schools is quite long.

* - The only time we got our asses whooped was by a 4A school that had a state finalist in the mile and 2 mile (I think he finished top 3 in the 2 mile) and got our asses whooped in the field events.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, our sprinter was African-American. ;) We had black guys too, only not anywhere near as many as Oakland Tech.

soccernutter and russ repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure they were all really athletic.

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deceptively Fast

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18157 onefineesq, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    This mirrors what Dave Chappelle said in his comedy show about a month or so ago ... WE didnt choose George Floyd, THEY chose George Floyd.

charlie15, sitruc and Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    LOL I know you are joking, but most of the black athletes that run track at my school are very technical. A surprisingly large number of them, especially when you consider our Title One status have "AAU" or private coaches. Same with the B'ballers.

So yeah they are athletic but our runners have some beautiful form. I am not a track fan, but do help with practice. I am here to tell you our kids have technique for days. I am talking from the starting block to the finish line some of them are pure poetry in motion.

I do wonder about some of those AAYU coaches and wonder if they are as scandalous as some of the things that we have heard about these types of folks.

9. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Dave is one funny mofo. His comedy is very political, and some of his stuff almost makes one feel guilty for laughing, but that dude Rox.

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the special I am talking about was far more uncomfortable than normal. He was not in a "funny, ha ha" mood.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    We fit the stereotype perfectly. Our top sprinter, jumper, and hurdler were black, whereas our top distance runner, weight man, and pole vaulter were white. Now that's how to construct a track team.

That said, our Parade All American linebacker who was also a stud point guard was lily white.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In Django Unchained, Kerry Washington . . .

[​IMG]

. . . Plays a character named "Broomhilda Von Shaft."

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were only two Black students in my high school graduating class (1985). Twins, a brother and sister who were quite popular (which isn't the same thing as them feeling they belonged and/or accepted and understood; we weren't close enough for me to have ever asked). We were about 25% SE Asian and 10% Hispanic, with another 10% other Asian and Eastern European. Lots of resettled refugees. So I was pretty unfamiliar with the experience of Black Americans.

Then in junior English Lit, our teacher introduced us to an unassigned book that he offered to loan to anyone who would read it. He told us it wouldn't generate any points but that it was powerful, and our lives would change if we read it. I borrowed it from him and read it. When I finished and returned the book, he asked me to stand in front of the class and then asked me a series of questions about it and what I learned from it.

The book was Richard Wright's Native Son. It was a hell of an introduction to issues of racial oppression, the enduring legacy of generational poverty, and the end of easy answers to complex issues. And it propelled me to a life of reading, thinking, and listening. Thanks, then, to Tom Beaton for that moment.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Did not realize that... thanks

15. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Pretty much. The college boys go on to pass the Bar and become politicians. That's when the blood letting starts! :coffee:

Auriaprottu repped this.
  16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Everyone knows that bird-watchers are shady.

roby repped this.
  18. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    [​IMG]

soccernutter and chaski repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ?? But he's not the only victim, or even the real one. The dispatcher, the dispatched... there's plenty of evidence...

21. [​IMG]

22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cases are prosecuted without victim cooperation all the time.

xtomx, The Jitty Slitter and taosjohn repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18174 superdave, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Come again? Is this what you believe, or is this your understanding of the law?

I found the church's website. They're Wisconsin Synod. I'm ELCA. The Missouri Synod is very conservative socially; for example, when the ELCA allowed same sex marriages and gay clergy, we lost maybe 15% of our congregation to a Missouri Synod church. MS doesn't allow female leadership in the church.

The Missouri Synod is more liberal than the Wisconsin Synod. Michelle Bachman, for example, is WS.

I looked up the website because I guessed the church was MS, but it's worse than that. A useful analogy might be ELCA is to MS as the Anglican church is to...that group that split from the Anglicans when the Anglicans got soft on gay rights.

25. I saw the Philadelfia Union playing against NYC with names of black Americans killed by police on their shirt in stead of their own name.