Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why not both?

[​IMG]

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Okay, everybody needs to go back to work at this point. I think I'd rather take my chances with the virus than have to see what folks post when they got too much time on their hands

sitruc, soccernutter, charlie15 and 5 others repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Now to tie this all together

soccernutter, xtomx and chad repped this.
  4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I am rocking that same facial hair right now. But my boots are brown.

dapip and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  5. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Hopefully you are not matching those with your undies.

russ, charlie15 and dapip repped this.
  6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Or at least other people won’t be able to tell...

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    57 Buffalo officers resign from special squad after two others are suspended for allegedly shoving 75-year-old protester to the ground

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/05/buffalo-officers-suspended-shoving-man/

Fifty-seven members of the Buffalo Police Department resigned from a special squad Friday to protest the suspension of two officers shown on video shoving a 75-year-old protester to the ground, causing him to hit his head on the sidewalk and suffer a serious injury, officials said.

The footage, shot by local NPR affiliate WBFO on Thursday evening, shows the man walking up to uniformed officers in Buffalo’s Niagara Square during an anti-police-brutality demonstration after George Floyd’s death. The officers, who had begun enforcing curfew, yell what sounds like “move!” and “push him back!” One officer can be seen pushing the man with an outstretched arm, while another shoves a baton into him. A third officer appears to shove colleagues toward the man.

57 of 'em. 57 left their jobs because their buds faced repercussions for brutalizing an old man. We need ol' Jake around here to remind us that good cops exist...

russ and charlie15 repped this.
  8. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Damm. Was hoping they were resigning, period.

Minnman and Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Why "allegedly shoving..."? It is crystal clear in the video they did shove the old man.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It's a few bad apples...

11. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    If I were in charge of the PD, I’d give them all 25 hours/week of the most mundane desk job I could find. For the other 15 hours/week, they’d go to a Witnessing Whiteness workshop. Those guys would quit in two weeks and I’d save the city a small fortune in future pension accruals.

song219, sitruc, charlie15 and 3 others repped this.
  12. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    My friend Kevin's take:

dapip, rslfanboy and charlie15 repped this.
  13. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    On the local front: I’m really proud of our local organizers. When we went down this road after Ferguson and my neighborhood’s shooting, the protestors took too much refuge in those two neighborhoods. They were both places where they knew they had comfort and support, but it became pointless and frankly grating. The mean, 3 weeks in, you keep it up in the same exact areas that agree with you and now you have a security perimeter around these places with helicopters buzzing overhead. Again, what is the point? A few of us chatted with the organizers. More along the lines of, “we know helicopters hovering over the same patch of dirt every night isn’t the biggest inconvenience, but you guys should consider taking this to a bigger audience. We can’t tell you what to do and you’re welcome as long as it takes, but please consider. I’m not sure that if what they did in the following weeks was coincidental, but they did alter tactics and come up with ways to make a wide group of people uncomfortable.

This time around, despite not having the full thrust of outside protestors they had when they were the epicenter, they’ve expanded on that. Today they’ve mucked up quiet, large lot super rich (wealthier than Lake Forest, IL) Ladue during rush hour. Yesterday it was the largest retail center in the metro in Brentwood on its busiest non weekend shopping day. The day before it was middle class conservative suburb St. Charles. There are a lot uncomfortable residents and no one know what is next. The organizers are getting more sophisticated and they’re playing better notes.

sitruc, Dr. Wankler and JohnR repped this.
  14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I'd seriously consider a statement thanking them for identifying the jobs that need replacements.

15. It would be better to make them do community work in the form of having to aid geriatrics who suffer from incontinence and have them clean those po infested butts for a month.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16941 onefineesq, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    So Roger Goodell has come out with a video statement, essentially saying that the NFL was wrong not to listen to its Black players about racism.

Let me be the first here to say, ******** GOODELL!!! He is a piece of crap that can go fly a kite at the top of the Washington monument in a thunderstorm.

ElJefe, rslfanboy, Ismitje and 5 others repped this.
  17. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At church they tell us that we are supposed to be nice to folks who show up late and expect full credit for showing up at all, the parable of the vineyard owner and all that, but I struggle with that one. ********ing NFL could have figured this out while Kaep was kneeling.

dapip, onefineesq and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

dapip repped this.
  19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Patronization is a big part of white privilege; and it definitely passes from father to son; and does so even in families that are reflexively anti racist... like mine.

If he finally gets it, better late than never, and better imperfectly than not at all...

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    No apology to Kaep in that mess.

rslfanboy and sitruc repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    First of all, define status quo being threatened as it pertains to the actual voter. BTW, the party in power before Lula was elected was center-left. So the status quo was basically the left. So you didn't have the more clear left and right as in the US. PT managed to stay in power for 12+ years ... even after a Congress voting bribing scandal. Which brings me to the next point ...

And I should have mentioned this before, but probably the main reason people elect an opposing (different) party (specially in Brazil), is because of the economy. I mentioned crime and corruption as 2 main reasons in voters minde but economy comes first. PT managed to get re-elected even after the vote buying scandal because the economy was pretty good. PT came into power after a downturn in the economy.

I'd say religion (as it pertains to morals), abortion, guns, expenditures (to a lesser degree) as a topic of discussion in elections in Brazil started in the last decade. Yes there has been a shift to somewhat copy issues in the US. A more "true" right wing has definitely emerged in the past decade in Brazil. Racism as a direct topic perhaps now is started being talked more directly. Before that, it was more all about economy, crime, education, health, and poverty.

I've stated before that classism is definitely a thing in Brazil (as is in many if not all other countries) and an issue in voting. Yes many people don't like the social welfare programs initiated by PT (attributing it as buying votes), but again, people are thinking about their pockets, not racism. Brazil's tax burden is pretty high and it doesn't promote a return to society as other countries do with similar tax burdens. And our economic instability is much bigger than in the US.

Now, the poorest population are , as you probably know black/indigenous/mixed (actually it's way more mixed than in the US as the Portuguese mixed with slaves and indigenous way more than in the US) ... so the connection to racism is easily made. But racism in Brazil, IMO opinion, is way more due to socio economic reasons than in the US. Perhaps because it's more openly spoken, you do feel in the US that the racist whites still cling to superior race theory. And perhaps it's because in Brazil we do have a bit more of a unified culture than in the US. We also didn't have segregation and neither a war was needed for slaves to be freed and maybe that also created less tension between white and mixed/black. On the downside, the black population has way less opportunities than in the US and I can blame that on social issues like education and the fact that we are just a poorer country with less innovation and mismanaged resources.

This is true to a certain degree as it relates to law and order. But Military in Brazil doesn't have the same image as it does here since we really don't go to war. Military culture in the US is HUGE. In Brazil is a bit non-existent. Only factor of Bolsonaro's military background is that it passed the image of him not being corrupt. So again, we are talking about perception and why the voter voted for him, and not what will end up happening.

I know of no voting shenanigans in Brazil. And actually, AFAIK it has been praised compared to the US.

To add one more point to it, the same way we find Trump tweets disparaging Obama 4 years ago, that funnily apply to him like a glove, in Colombia we have tweets from the president and vice president showing their fury about their predecessor's policies that apply perfectly to them; there's a PR consultant working for the president that is now known as "The Oracle", because you can find tweets about him criticizing the previous administration for something the current government is doing, almost on a daily basis.

So, in short, I think that Charlie15 is correct; Bolsonaro at the end was not elected to fight corruption; he was elected because poor and black Brazilians were getting more from Lula and that was costing some rich Brazilians. Bolsonaro voters don't care about him being a prickish corrupt authoritarian, because he is their prickish corrupt authoritarian.

PS: The most puzzling thing about the right wingers are how evidently stupid and inept they are, to those who care to pay attention; they are ignorant, buffoonish, foolish and vain; in contrast the left wing candidate, despite their flaws, offer substance and have a solid and well built platform, but that doesn't really matter to a big portion of the electorate.[/QUOTE]

When a big part of the population doesn't make a lot of money, saying the election was shifted because of some "rich Brazilians" swinging the votes is just plain ignorant. As I mentioned Bolsonaro actually increased social welfare last year. But .. he didn't campaign saying he would, so his voters that considered that an issue were probably disappointed. You mentioned he is just trying to keep him happy ... but I can turn and say Lula was doing the same just buying votes ... since he oversaw $2B of public money go to corruption instead of you know, helping the part of the population he came from himself.

I know this post is a bit of a ramble ... I am not so good at being concise.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on if that White left tackle is with Brees or his Black teammates.

He was not Whitespainin'. He was doing something else. I don't know what, but it wasn't Whitesplainin'.

He's from Holland, where everything is perfect (I'm sure his response was along those lines).

My first thought was "Shit, didn't we already talk about this?" Then I checked the link. Nope, another story.

I hope that happens.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    MJ donating $100m to racial equality and education social causes. From completely quiet to over compensating (not in a bad way). :ROFLMAO:

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  24. What the States need is a man who can raise the people to fight the evil of racism, who can inspire them to lift themselves as a nation into a unity to put this dragon of evil down.

Winston Churchill addressing the British nation in 1940 to encourage the nation for the fight to come with Nazi Germany. Sanctus Espiritus translates from Latin as Holy Spirit.
    "I speak to you for the first time as Prime Minister in a solemn hour for the life of our country, of our empire, of our allies, and, above all, of the cause of Freedom."

Sanctus Espiritus! Redeem us from our solemn hour.
    Sanctus Espiritus! Insanity is all around us.
    Sanctus Espiritus!
    Sanctus Espiritus!
    Sanctus Espiritus!
    In my darkest hours I could not foresee,
    That the tide could turn so fast to this degree.
    Can't believe my eyes, how can you be so blind?
    Is the heart of stone, no empathy inside?
    Time keeps on slipping away and we haven't learned.
    So in the end now what have we gained?

25. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intellectually, I get that, but emotionally, I'm not there yet.

onefineesq and JohnR repped this.