Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    It's actually very much in bounds. Who fired the first shot isn't what's being discussed

Taos mentioned that the Chinese crossed the Yalu river into Korea, but they only did this after the US invaded its ally and headed towards the Chinese border.

Yes, but this new territory didn't magically fall in the lap of the US. They were the products of a conscious effort to expand westward by the newly formed country.

You asked for an example of pre-Louisiana Purchase expansion and you go it. It was "news to [you]" that the Founding Fathers were interested in further invading the continent and you got an article stating that the first federally administered army in US history was created by Washington after a westward imperialistic venture hit a roadblock.

Jesus, why the passive-aggressiveness bordering on aggressive aggressiveness?

But to answer your question, my google works fine so I know where Lhasa is located. I could rely on a technicality and say that it doesn't count because Tibet is a country that they have cultural ties with dating back over a thousand years and that has switched between being independent and being part of China several times through the centuries- but I won't.

Unlike you, I'm not so insecure that it kills me to be wrong and I start trying to weasel my way out.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're funny.

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump for @Timon19
    Are there really a lot of Libertarians / Libertarian Couples that are hot to adopt? I mean, y'all seem pretty gosh darn selfish somedays...

So, at your convenience, please explain the Goldwater / Cato desire to overturn the Indian Child Welfare Act - A law designed to stop the functional eradication and erasure of Natives via the trafficking of Native children, for their own good

4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    So then the US invading Germany in WWII would also be an example?

That's not actually what I asked for initially; I asked about "proselytizing." And that's kind of a disingenuous way to characterize the Sr.Leger expedition.

Rain.Wedding day.

Coulda fooled me.

superdave repped this.
  5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KCFutbol and JohnR repped this.
  6. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    FYP....:coffee:

7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread shows to some degree how Covid will affect POC communities mroe than the background Caucasian community, except for those on white communities on the wrong end of the poverty / dumbass scale:

But in particular, the last tweet how it affects Natives who are far more communal in living situations with multiple generations. But since YT folks are trying to escape to the "middle of nowhere" where Natives are more concentrated, each Native death is particularly damaging...

8. What's that?

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YT = White

10. Ah, phonetic.
    I was thinking of Yellow Tribe.:(

11. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Nope, Germany declared war on the US. North Korea never declared war on the US.

Yeah, you asked which Founding Father was "proselytizing Manifest Destiny," but since the term didn't originate until 1839, I didn't think you could possibly mean it literally.

I took it to mean, "Which Founding Father was in favor of westward expansion?" And aside from the obvious one in Jefferson, I showed that Washington was also an avid imperialist.

So you're now pulling the slimy lawyer routine and evading, deflecting. I'm sure appealing to technicalities isn't far off.

Of course I could have. Unlike you, I kept the exchanges civil and without condescension and aggression

12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Did North Korea declare war on anybody anywhere in there? Or, for that matter China? Or are you "evading, deflecting?"

So if the term didn't originate until 1839, the concept couldn't apply earlier? Now that we , y'know, know what to call it?

Pretty sure you haven't shown any such thing. And quite sure he was neither imperialist, nor avid

You mean like introducing neutral phrases like "slimy lawyer" and "avid imperialist?"

superdave repped this.
  13. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    No, North Korea did not. So the US's invading their territory is far less justified than the US invading Germany, because Germany DID declare war on the US.

Keep evading. Waiting for your "Depends what the definition of 'is' is" moment.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and take the opinion of a scholar whose books have been published by the University of Texas Press, MIT Press, and Simon & Schuster and others over yours.

This despite the fact that you've "read upon this quite a bit."

Notice I said "kept," and not "am keeping."

I'm done taking the high road so please take all my responses as condescendingly as possible.

14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liberty means freedom to adopt anyone you can afford to adopt .

#heretohelp #freemarketfam

sitruc, Cascarino's Pizzeria and song219 repped this.
  15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But seriously tho...

Who thinks of "libertarians" as people with the compassion to adopt.

I did work with a guy who was libertarian, but also a city planner - a strange combination - and him & his wife had trouble conceiving and the cost of IVF was out of his & her salary, so they fostered...

Of course, he bragged that they were pocketing a percentage of the fostering money into their IVF / adoption fund...

16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm a foster dad, AMA.

Fostering is an immense moneysuck. If you're in it for the money, I can't even describe how dumb you must be. We spend thousands a month on the foster kid, just like a regular kid. Then the state sends us a check that covers a couple of take out pizzas.

As to your point, libertarians are selfish assholes and should not be allowed to foster or adopt or procreate. But if anything in the whole wide world is going to make you despise government bureaucracy, it's being a foster parent. The desires and needs of bio parents, foster parents, and foster children are routinely ignored so that some soulless bureaucrat somewhere can check a box. Seriously, it's absolutely maddening.

soccernutter and russ repped this.
  17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The restrictions serve their purpose. The trend is towards less funding per person for any truly vulnerable population be they children or the handicapped. How do you make that money stretch? You make some of the eligible for benefits drop out because the hoops are too many to jump through.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God Bless You, Sir

Oklahoma was a bit different back 20 years ago. They weren't generous, but a few people got busted for taking multiple kids, getting paid, but neglecting the hell out of them

No lie in any of this

It's by design

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  19. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd heard these same stories and I don't doubt them. But in our group of about 10 families, about half were (mostly LGBTQ) people who wanted to adopt kids from the "pound" instead of the "breeder." The other half were people with a little bit of extra space, time, and money to do some good in the community. You'd have a far, far easier and less risky time of making money by robbing Dunkin' Donuts than you would by scamming the foster system

By the way, to bring the thread back on topic, our foster daughter is African American and me, the wife, and bio-kids are all whiter than ranch dressing. (For the record, they try to place children with parents of similar backgrounds but there is a deep shortage of foster parents in NY so it's not always possible.)

soccernutter and InTheSun repped this.
  20. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    About kids....

We should challenge students in these schools,” Mr. Biden said. “We have this notion that somehow if you’re poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

He paused, then added: “Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids — no I really mean it, but think how we think about it.”

Oh say it ain't so Joe!

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These days, armed robbery just ain't worth it - debit / credit cards - you're liable to get less than $500 for a 10 year minimum incarceration risk - unless it's a weed shop - all cash

Yeah, it's like that everywhere. Where it's been particularly insidious with the #ICWA is that states like South Dakota have "partnerships" with adoption agencies in South Carolina & other states where these kids get shipped off too, even though they are required by law to consult with the child's tribe. Over the past 30 years, those tribal nations have worked diligently to develop a pool of foster families to keep those kids in their culture and stop the de facto trafficking of their kids as well as help those that were essentially stolen from the 40's through last week reconnect with their relatives if they choose

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's not like the bigotry of low expectations isn't a real thing

23. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Did you ever give this a listen?
    https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/295210-adoptive-couple-v-baby-girl

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    This Bruno clip manages to offend everyone