Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been saying this for years. National Defense is not at all really about "national" defense. Our military is the corporate imperial force.

xtomx repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Honestly, I don't even know what motivates the defense fetish. What I do know is that it has been political suicide to propose cutting that budget. Since forever. Maybe, finally, that might be possible, as there is a distinctly non-interventionalist mindset these days, even among many Republicans.

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The military is both the "big stick" that the government will use to protect corporate interests abroad and the massive customer for the technological weapons produced by the defense industry as well as for sale to "partner" governments

Power - it's always been power

Only because there is little to no place to intervene until the Mars Colony seceeds as the Martian Constitutional Republic and we have to crack down on rogue "belter" mining colonies in the Asteroid Belt where Mars & Earth compete for mineral resources

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  4. How does that work versus Europe or China?

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a certain level of "we're all one" with the US / NATO, but we know what Trump did to that, but it was already fraying because the US wanted a coalition anytime it went adventuring into someone else's country. The upside of that for the NATO countries is it allow them to place military hardware & troops on Joint Bases to keep their military sharp, the downside is that is was expensive and cost lives and became less and less popular, plus contributing to refugees flooding Europe.

China has been posturing to become not only the dominant military & economic power in the East, but also the Global south, doing lots of "aid & infrastructure" stuff in Central / South America & Africa, which is really just extractive resource colonizaiton

sitruc repped this.
  6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to get fired before my resignation takes effect.

7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You cant be fired from Big Soccer, silly.

8. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Is it really though?

I think the level of power and coercion has to be taken into account. Economically, China is still far, far weaker than the US. Sure, it's kinda comparable in GDP, but in GDP per capita it's still way behind so it doesn't have the reach that American corporations do.

Militarily it's not even close. The US still blows absolutely anyone away.

Politically it's not on the same planet, either. The US has threatened and actually invaded Latin American countries (and others) when they get out of line economically/politically for 200 years. China hasn't done it once (Vietnam was part of a larger left wing movement).

For right now, it's just a big, powerful country interacting with smaller ones. I wouldn't call it colonizing though.

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on if you want an exact reenactment of the colonization of the Americas, or something more akin to our economic recolonization of Latin America & Asia

Sure, at one time, America was far weaker than the Roman or British empires at their peak too

See above - not only that, we had a rock solid combined alliance with Europe too - now, that's being put to the test

The further we got into 20th century, the harder it has been to invade a country and / or install and maintain puppet regimes.

America didn't physically colonize Central America, but we certainly created an area where US corporations extracted raw materials and exported manufacturing to the dirt cheap labor force, making them economically dependent on the US. Not colonies in the 16th / 17th century sense, but certainly in the 20th century sense

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cascarino's Pizzeria and russ repped this.
  12. What's that?

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Damages were paid to the Tuskeegee patients, along with lifetime free care. Was quite a little scandal in 1972 or so.

Probably called for executions and imprisonments too, but in the context I doubt that any of the people involved would have understood why-- if they would do such a thing in the first place they must have completely misunderstood their oaths, after all...

15. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Yeah, but the US had imperialist ambitions from the very founding of the country. The Founding Fathers were arguing whether to expand all across North America or throughout the Western Hemisphere.

Meanwhile, China has expanded and contracted in basically the same area of the world for 5,000 years.

Right, and China has installed 0 puppet regimes and invaded 0 countries this century.

The US didn't annex Central America but they actually sent troops there well into the 1980s. China, again, has done zero of that in the 20th or 21st century (their row with the Philippines over the South China Sea is the closest it got, and even there it took the least militaristic and most civilized route: took the case to an international court)

If we start seeing Chinese companies having the political influence that American companies did and do, then maybe they can be compared.

16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    News to me, and I've studied on it some. Ptior to the Louisiana Purchase, who do you think was proselytizing Manifest Destiny?

That's gonna come as a big surprise in Lhasa. Such whiners, those monks.

Seems to me I recall something about a few hundred thousand crossing the Yalu one midnight clear, and driving well into South Korea, too...

russ and Timon19 repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I've been staring at this tweet and responses for hours.

It reminds me of those willfully ignorant people who refuse to acknowledge original context.

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Haven't heard of this. Is it like calling a white woman "Becky"?

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I had not heard of Karen either.

xtomx repped this.
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Two things:
    1. @sitruc, if you have been staring at it for hours, get up and take a walk. Please.
    2. What is wrong with the name Karen? All of this is so dumb.

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The Karen are a people in Burma who are commonly in rebellion against the central government.

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever heard the phrase,"I would like to speak to your manager?"
    Then you've heard of Karen.
    I believe in the interest of inclusivity,we must recognize that men can be Karens too.

fatbastard and Kazuma repped this.
  23. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you don't have GenZ kids, do you - been around since Christmas.

At least that's how long my daughter has been using it - pisses the wife off