Racism - Forever and Always

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Oct 25, 2023.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #176 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Feb 12, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    Some parts of 'Merica & the intertubes they'd still say that. What was on TwiX lateley? "a woke Black woman pilot? GET ME OUTTA HERE!" Most Wyte whiners dont realize the high standards BP have to keep just to not be thought of as being tokens in high paying professions. If a pilot is going to be nailed for being drunk or on drugs on the job, it's almost a certainty that it's a Wyte middle aged male.

2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hangup about diversity among pilots is, among other things, the premise behind a joke from Rob Schneiders' Fox Nation standup special. It seems to really be in the right-wing zeitgeist right now.

The thing about that particular example--which is a backlash against EDI/diversity efforts in hiring pilots--is that it's much easier to see the flawed premise underlying so much of the "meritocratic" backlash to calls for diversity in elite professions and institutions. And that flawed premise is that there is always a "best possible" candidate for any possible role--whether that be passenger jet pilot, or Supreme Court Justice. If you accept that belief, then you're at least potentially amenable to the argument that: "Hey, diversity is nice and all, but for important life-and-death jobs like landing a plane full of people, we need to make sure we get the best person available regardless of race or gender or whatever."

The flaw, of course, is that "the best possible candidate" doesn't exist. For airline pilots--there are far more people on the planet with the requisite physical and mental qualifications than there will ever be planes to fly or pilot jobs to fill. Beyond those basic competencies, there's a need for education & training...and then from THAT pool of qualified & trained applicants, there's an effort to diversify the ranks of professional pilots by giving preference to women of color in order to get more diversity. But the social media outrage machine skips all those parts, and behaves as if "woke" airlines are bringing in random Black women off the street and telling them "We're gonna have you fly a plane--passenger safety be damned!" But they know it would sound ridiculous to spell it out, so they leave it to the audience to fill in the blanks.

The reasons there's no such thing as 'the best qualified Supreme Court Justice nominee' are different, but in that case the right-wingers ignore politics and ideology rather than training and expertise.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd maybe look at it in another direction. If we strive for meritocracy but then we deny half the population the ability to achieve that merit because they have boobs or weird names or skin color, then, by definition, we're not getting the best. We're just getting the best of a highly specific population.

SetPeace, Mike03, InTheSun and 1 other person repped this.
  4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure--I don't think that's incompatible with what I'm saying; we should be drawing from the best when we create/recruit/train pools of potential candidates for any specialized or highly skilled or important profession/trade/role. It's just that the notion that there's ONE BEST PERSON for any particular vacancy is a fallacy which feeds narratives arguing that leveling the playing field won't beef up those talent pools but will instead dilute them.

Mike03 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rslfanboy, Mike03 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    "Brilliant move by Trump because The Blacks loooove their sneakers. Man, you ever accidentally step on their sneakers in the subway? watch out! I think Trump should also roll out menthol cigarettes and a grape soda"

SetPeace, Mike03 and song219 repped this.
  7. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    ******* buy sneakers too.

MattR and Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He mentions there that there have been very few black coaches in european leagues. I remember discussing that issue some years back about the EPL but the thing is it rather ignores the fact that there are only 18 coaches in the EPL so, by definition, they're a very select group of people and they're chosen by the owners of the clubs, not by the public.

As I pointed out at the time, there were no English managers of English clubs either, (although there were some Scots and Irish), so if the criteria for bigotry is who manages the 18 EPL clubs then the English must be biased against the English which seems... well, unlikely, shall we say.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Too much outsourcing.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    18? Did the Prem clubs downsize? Aren't there 20?

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A lightly populated, unathletic nation with a desire for quality football that outshines every other country on the planet. They pretty much have to outsource.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can a whole nation be unathletic? Can a whole nation be unintelligent?

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    When you look at their Olympic record, compared to, say, West Germany, they are unathletic.

Turn this around. What are they good at, aside from the one thing they invented?

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well spotted... I was making sure everyone was paying attention :eek:

:giggle:

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    West Germany? Showing your age there dude :D

D'yer mean the UK compared to Germany?

A lot of sports people over here simply don't do so unless there's heavy investment in it. We started doing that in the run-up to the 2012 London Olympics and did quite well.

It's like the winter Olympics where there just isn't the interest in it because of the lack of snow and ice here most years. If there was a lot of sports that were played in 'drizzle' we'd win everything :D

TBH, though, we haven't done too badly over the years...

https://www.olympedia.org/statistics/medal/country

Probably helped having brought in a load of quality athletes from the colonies I guess. One of the many advantages of immigration :)

Having said that a lot of the sports we've done well in have been things like cycling, rowing and sailing. Not a lot of black folks in those things so what do I know!

BocaFan repped this.
  18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #193 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Feb 25, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
    Darts, snooker, raping the world. Don't sell them short!

India might be the most unathletic big country. Can't think of one top track & field athlete they've produced, for instance. Cricket & field hockey about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36941269.amp

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn’t really answer my question…how could one geographic area contain 40 million inferior athletes compared to other nations? And if Olympic Golds define that, does the same apply to intelligence? Doesn’t work for Nobel laureates, for example?

Im just trying to ascertain the thought process you had that led you to type those words. Me, I think once the sample size is large enough (and England’s population is obviously large enough) one nation is going to be as athletic, or as intelligent, as any other. It wouldn’t even occur to me that the English could be more or less athletic or intelligent than the Germans.

20. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Sheffield and Chelsea don’t count.

MattR, majspike, soccernutter and 3 others repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    <sigh> It's not that deep.. lol

22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    That's what she said.

soccernutter, BocaFan, roby and 6 others repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was halfway expecting to read that Man City would be dropped, but nope...

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Apart from the fact he mentiones alot of players are black but not in coaching. One thing has become very true, great players don't make great coaches too.
    We Dutch had the tendency to award our great players with a shortened coaching education in the believe they already had what it takes, the knowledge of the game. We gave that short route to Gullit, van Basten, Frank de Boer to name a few and they turned out to be shit at coaching.

soccernutter and Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Q*bert Jones III and Auriaprottu repped this.