Racism - Forever and Always

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Oct 25, 2023.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Christians are the worst at this with Muslims a bit better. None of the other major religions come close with their evangelizing.

soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hadn't thought of that. I did grades 1-3 at religious schools (1 & 2 S-DA, 3 Catholic).

Chesco United repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about some Christian Evangelists is the "well, that's different" syndrome.

This guy was talking about how important it was to "share the gospel" with everyone. I asked him, what if he lived in Japan where almost everyone is Shinto or Buddhist. Sure, he'd find his Christian community, since that's obviously important to him, but what if some guy started telling him all about how Buddha is the only true path to enlightenment? He'd probably say, "thanks, but I'm a Christian, and I'm fine with my faith as it is." Or he'd start arguing that Jesus could win a cage match against Buddha, since he's in much better shape...:ROFLMAO:

So why can't you respect a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, etc. who is fine with their own religion and is not open to converting to another religion?

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm pretty amazed Mormons & other missionaries don't get their asses kicked more often

5. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes yes let the hate flow through you

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I don't belong to an Evangelical church, bud.

7. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you’ve shown there’s more than one way to hate

8. Non of the churches/religions have.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yet they'll still be perennial contenders for the ACC

11. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The endowments of elite institutions have grown so much that financial need is rarely a burden anymore. If the money is being repurposed from being race based to being income based, then what’s the problem? That some AME buppies will have to pay more for Jaden to go to college while some Thelma Sue from Bug Tussle’s parents pay less?

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #362 Auriaprottu, Apr 21, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    I know a few Black Duke grads from this town. They're much more like me than like your hypothetical Jaden.

Waitwaitwait... North Carolina must be some kind of educational bonanza. In most states, Thelma Sue goes to community college if she goes at all. She ain't going to Duke in any case.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rise of charter schools has likely significantly helped this.

Which Buddha are you talking about - the Indian or the Chinese?

Go take a sensitivity pill.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two points - what ever one thinks of Duke, they do have a rather good medical program. This just makes it harder for poor Black students to rise to the level of self-sufficiency.
    And how is the rest of North Carolina doing?
    https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/20/us/d...ixed-reaction-from-former-scholars/index.html

Earlier this week, the University of North Carolina’s Board of Governors, voted to repeal and replace the school’s existing diversity and inclusion policy. The board oversees 16 public universities and one high school in the state.

The new policy – which goes to the full board for a final vote in May – will emphasize the university’s commitment to “non-discrimination and institutional neutrality,” Andrew Tripp, senior vice president for legal affairs for the university and board of governors, said during a committee meeting.

So, I guess we are equal now.

15. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought both your parents were teachers? Anyway, let’s say for illustrative purposes that you were working class or poor. What I’m saying is that in that case, for most of these elite schools including Duke, almost everyone gets all the need based aid they need. So a 17 year old Auria would then get need based financial aid.

The paradigm you and I grew up with, a world where black Americans had very little access to middle class jobs outside the black community, those days are over and have been for a generation. Folks like you and Casc need to update your priors, as the kids say. When Yall assume a world where it’s still 1980, you’re going to lose your argument with everyone else, everyone whose calendars are up to date.

16. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point in the post was that they’re covered by and based financial aid. So you are wrong here. It will just mean that upper middle class black families who send their kids to Duke will have to pay white upper middle class black families pay.
    1. You should start a thread on this new topic then.
    2. The new policy is because the Supreme Court outlawed the old policy as being reverse racism. IOW this isn’t an action the state is doing on its own.

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    We have overcome, per Dave!

The enrolled student population at Duke University is 41.1% White, 13.9% Asian, 7.67% Hispanic or Latino, 7.17% Black or African American, 4.54% Two or More Races, 0.289% American Indian or Alaska Native, and 0.0624% Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islanders.

18. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the student body is 41% white, Dook obviously isn’t practicing white supremacy or is really shitty at it. Thanks for citing facts to support my interpretation of the impact of losing this scholarship…it likely represents money moving from race based to poverty based. QED.

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Nobody said they were.

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    College profs, yeah.

That's a lot of typing to say you ignored what the guy in the video tried to tell you, and are on some other shit. You can believe what you want to about the present. What we can earn is irrelevant, don't know why that was your focus.

We've all tried to be helpful around here, but folks like you and Marek are stubborn types...

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Remember when MitH used to say that nonsense? It's not even halftime.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Stop bitching, Blacks. Dook provides those good jobs.

Mark Anthony Neal, the James B. Duke Distinguished Professor of African and American Studies at the university, says Duke “has long had the reputation of being a ‘plantation’ in Durham,’ [as] the city’s largest employer.”

“For many Black residents, Duke isn’t a world-renowned university, but simply the place they go to work, and where they might in fact feel undervalued and underpaid,” Neal wrote in an email to the INDY.

Duke’s relationship with race is encapsulated by the efforts of Julian Abele, the Black architect who designed more than 30 buildings on the campus, including the Allen Building and the iconic Duke Chapel. But Abele was never allowed to set foot inside the storied sanctuary after it was completed in 1935.

Of course, the Allen building was the site of a Black student occupation in 1969, at the height of the Black Power movement. In 2016, Duke honored Abele’s lasting contributions by naming the campus’s busiest quadrangle the “Abele Quad.”

Also in 2016, nine Duke students took to the Allen building to demand better treatment for the university’s Black workers, prompting administrators to pay all university employees the city of Durham’s official living wage of $12.35 an hour. A year later, Duke raised its minimum wage to $13 an hour, and then to $15 in 2019

https://indyweek.com/news/durham/race-relations-at-duke/

Auriaprottu repped this.
  23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That is a typo. It must be 71.1 or this the new math they keep telling me about

russ and Dominican Lou repped this.
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It has to be. No way Duke is only 41% White. Plus, the numbers don't add up in any way. Not with 51, 61 or 71%.

25. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands