Racism - Always and Forever

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When I watched press conferences of him I always found it kind of funny he was standing next to a general named Schwarzkopf. (Meaning black face:D)

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know necessarily either...

but there are perceived / real biases & outcome expectation from White America on
    • African Americans / African or Afro-???? Immigrants
    • Latino Americans / Latino Immigrants
    • Asian Americans / Asian Immigrants
    • Muslim & Arab Americans / Muslim & Arab Immigrants
    • Rez Natives / Urban - Suburban Natives
    These tend to be sort of fluid over time and often highly regional - flip flopping between coasts / heartland & urban/rural and highly dependent on how long a migrant group has been a part of the local population

soccernutter repped this.
  3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me....I can testify on that.

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Show me the proof that those affirmative action projects worked. I can link studies that might make you think twice about that.

The original arguments for affirmative action framed it as a reparations project. Over time as the data was starting to become clear that it wasn't actually doing much for black people in poverty, the emphasis was shifted to diversity. In this sense there is some data that shows that affirmative action does seem to help middle class and upper middle class black people gain prominent positions.

Normalizing discrimination is normalizing the bigotry of low expectations.

As far as your 'schools falling behind' argument, why fix that with legalized discrimination when the most obvious fix to that problem is to separate school funding from property taxes? Why not put that on a ballot?

Bottom line, if there's a struggling community that you care about, go to that community and invest from the bottom up. Universal healthcare, universal basic income or whatever. Don't lower the bar for excellence. You're not helping as much as you think you are. There's a Duke study that shows about 50% of affirmative action recipients in their STEM fields never finish compared to low single digits for rest of population.

Make learning a priority from childhood. There are studies that show that 75% of education achievement is determined from factors at home, like economic stability, two parent household, crime in neighborhood etc. Empower those communities through the root causes. Racial discrimination is not the way. It's mostly applied to upper middle class people anyways. All it does is make bourgeois college educated liberals feel better about themselves. And it ignores that race is not the only factor in privilege. In fact I guarantee you that if I checked your California data, class would be a much stronger correlation.

And therein lies the problem with racialized systems. It undermines class consciousness. Go to Western Europe social democracies that have far better outcomes in education and upward mobility and you'll find that they don't even collect race data. Color blindness is the true equality, not segregation.

rslfanboy, crazypete13 and Spassapparat repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one with the Tramp?

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back when I was in Memphis, there were a couple of younger Black guys who said Obama was not their President because he was not Black (dark) enough.

In this case, Black Twitter/Facebook/Insta needs to get it's shit together and, as I said back then to those students, the White people in opposition don't care how Black somebody is, just that they are Black, and laugh at any divisiveness in the Black community.

charlie15 repped this.
  7. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I think I'll pass on this one! :p

8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You mean Stormin' Norman Schwarzgesicht?

FormerGermanGuy repped this.
  9. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    On a related note, it will be interesting on how this plays out. Harvard was accused of something similar but got off.
    Feds say Yale discriminates against Asian, white applicants

https://apnews.com/e97f08eb935989840bda430bb7a32e15

"The investigation concluded that Asian American and white students have “only one-tenth to one-fourth of the likelihood of admission as African American applicants with comparable academic credentials,” the Justice Department said."

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    He wasn't making a point of anything. He was just acknowledging it. Maybe it's a different place in the caste system that Isabel Wilkerson has been promoting with her latest book. You may not have noticed it, but it is a thing. There can be different ceilings for people based on how they are perceived and that often goes back to family.

rslfanboy and superdave repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an extreme statistical anomaly that all 3 presidential/VP trailblazers of African descent have zero heritage of American slaves. Of all black people eligible to be president but born before Ted Kennedy's immigration act of 1965, I'll bet at least 98% of them if not more, had SOME heritage of American slaves.

It might mean that American blacks who are the descendants of immigrants are more accepted by white America. It might be that such people have a different vision of their place in the American power structure. It might mean that such a background makes one especially adept at coalition building growing up, a skill that's very useful for an ambitious politician. It might mean something else entirely.

I doubt it's random.

The US World Cup team of 1950 was vastly overrepresented by men from St. Louis. If I gave you the numbers, you'd immediately make the guess that it wasn't random, that SL must have had a very vibrant soccer culture in the late 1930s and 1940s.

I'm just noting the extreme anomaly and wondering what it means.

russ and sitruc repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    A couple of dorms at Virginia Tech were renamed. One of them was named Lee Hall. No, not that Lee. Lee was a student and then professor in the 1890s, but there is evidence he was a KKK member. He was an editor for the yearbook and it's a long tradition for white people of putting racism to be immortalized in there evidently. One of his listed clubs was KKK. Some call that a bad joke, but he is also listed as being in a Pittsylvania County Club next to a drawing of a lynching. It was never determined if he was part of it, but it seems likely.

The dorm will be renamed Hoge Hall. The Hoge's were a couple who let the first black students stay with them when Black students couldn't live on campus. It was annoying when I had to update paperwork about my past when dorms were given new mailing addresses. I've already updated documents to reflect the new dorm name.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #138 superdave, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Precisely.

There's something happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear.

sitruc and roby repped this.
  14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A shade darker? Have you seen what the racist cop did to Sureshbhai Patel, and got away with? How dark was he? The game is a lot more rigged than even you may believe (not knocking you, just expressing my frustration).

15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    #140 rslfanboy, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Great post up until using that phrase. Color blindness isn't what is needed. Quite the opposite actually. A more inclusive teaching of history, focussing on the struggle and heroes of minorities and marginalized groups often improves outcomes too.

The whole idea of "color blindness" is bullshit. My daughter knows colors and shades at 3. Pretending color isn't there and isn't affecting people's lives is dismissive. I feel that my daughter has already started developing preferences, and black people seem "other" to her.

Not really her fault, since not many black people live near us, or in SLC at all. And we don't have many, if any at all right now during COVID, non-white people in our close orbit aside from a lovely Iraqi family. It's unfortunate. We were and had intended to continue actively seeking out diverse groups for our kids to participate in. COVID sucks.

russ, Boloni86, song219 and 3 others repped this.
  16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was mostly with him to that point, too. The main problem is that you can't go straight to "color blindness" after centuries of the complete opposite. So in order to address the imbalances that have been caused by those centuries, there seems little choice but to try for a bit of redistributive justice based on color,etc.

Some day, maybe, "color blindness" will be the best policy, but I don't think we're there yet. Nor anywhere near it.

17. 3 is a bit low as a sample. Isnot there an organisation that keeps track of data/numbers about black people in public offices and who ran for such offices?

Another question is how the social circumstances were in which these immigrant descendants grew up. Are these different from the circumstances in which the slave descendants grew up or were these the same. In other words were these immigrant descendants living in non segregated environments or not.

18. Indeed. Groups of people tend to select people "like us". When that "like us" is skewed because of centuries excluding, it only changes after changing the "like us" group being a reflection of the society's build up. So affirmative action is the way to tackle that skewed distribution. There's no other way.

19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Not suggesting that color blindness is our reality, because that glosses over the injustices that we need to see.

What I'm saying is that color blindness should be the ethos. The long term goal. And I fully believe it could be achieved maybe by the end of this century even if we work towards it.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Who is this guy? Influential?

I thought she was an immigrant.

21. The Dutch idiot Ayaan Hirsi Ali opens on Fox News attack on Biden. She's a researcher at the Stanford Hoover Institution.
    She accuses Biden of reciting sharia talk of Mohammed.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ayaan-hirsi-ali-biden-sharia-law-muslim
    Ayaan Hirsi Ali calls out Biden for quoting Muhammad pronouncing Sharia law in remarks to Muslim voters
    'Joe Biden should come out and apologize profusely to the American people,' Ali tells Tucker Carlson

Well, well....why on earth would a medium like Fox invite her....

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He is an ex-felon (campaign contribution violations) who was pardoned by Trump.

He was born in India but has been in the US since college, I believe.

He ran a school but to resign in scandal.

He is a far-right conspiracy theorist.

He makes hyperbolic and completely ridiculous movies, that are devoid of facts. I will not name them as I choose not to advertise his slander and bullcrap.

He is influential in that a bunch of people we to see one of his movies about Obama.

He is pretty evil.

sitruc and charlie15 repped this.
  23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He's also one of the earliest beneficiaries of the right wing funding of minor-league opinion makers on college campuses, specifically in his case the Dartmouth Review, noteworthy for racist and anti-gay opinion pieces. It was funded by, IIRC, the Collegiate Network, which was meant to create a pipeline of future zone-flooding pseudo intellectuals like Dinesh and Anne Coulter, who was at Cornell around the same time DiSouza was at Dartmouth, doing pretty much the same thing.

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Anne Coulter went to Cornell? I always assumed she came from North Central Delaware State College or something.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #150 Dr. Wankler, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Had me doubting my memory, so I looked her up: Cornell B.A., Law from U of Michigan.

But yeah: Populist pretensions to the contrary, they're pretty much all of them card-carrying members of the meritocracy, who have been funded as such from before they turned twenty...

Which tells me all I need to know about the merits of the meritocracy.

song219 repped this.