Racism - Always and Forever

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    "See? We're not racist. We don't see color" .

Deadtigers, soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't think you understand what performative outrage is. Let me give you examples:

You were outraged about how something AOC said is in your mind offensive to Jewish people, but you never care when a Republican says something offensive to Jewish people.

You are outraged about how something Biden said is in your mind racist, but you never care when a Republican says something racist.

You are outraged about how something is in your mind offensive to LGBT+ people, but you never care when a Republican does something offensive to LGBT+ people.

You see, your outrage is all performative. You really don't care about Jewish people, people of color, LGBT+ people, you just try to perform outrage to make Democrats look bad, even though you defend those who make actually offensive comments about Jewish people, people of color, LGBT+ people, etc.

I am on the assumption that your recent upping of the voltage in your hostility toward me has something to do with a recently created thread about LGBT+ people that was removed. I assume you think I caused that to happen.

To set the record straight, I never reported that thread, commented in that thread, mentioned that thread or even acknowledged the existence of that thread until now. That said, I knew it would get deleted after I read the second post in that thread - the post that you made. Your post was nothing but performative outrage - you couldn't even wait until Page 2, you had to do it in the second post in the thread. It was immediately clear that the thread would not be constructive, that people such as yourself are still unable to talk about LGBT+ people in a respectful manner. That is why those threads keep getting shut down - because people like you are ultimately incapable of respecting the existence of people like me.

3. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Can we trust your second comment is not the explanation for the first comment? ;)

ElNaranja, roby, luftmensch and 6 others repped this.
  4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Can you trust anything on the internets?

Again, I don't know how I pierced through the armor, but almost 20 years later, here we are!

Dr. Wankler, Deadtigers and Sounders78 repped this.
  5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Fantastic post. Spot on the money.

Mike03, InTheSun and Sounders78 repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear, it started when I had student doing glue-ins and learned it was synthetic. It seemed like it would really heat up the student, so I asked to see if it had my perceptions. Then I asked about it and we talked, and it was as much about "doing hair" as it was about the hair itself. Beyond that, it was in that context of further understanding my students, already have built the relationship of care and an understanding.

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    So I didn't watch the video and I don't plan to. This is lynch post card stuff. The mind can't always unsee what the eye sees.

xtomx and Smurfquake repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Still worth watching to appreciate how little the suspect did before the beating and what little 9-10 officers did for 30 minutes after the beating.

The beating itself is bad beyond belief so maybe fast forward that bit.

9. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only had two people touch my stomach without asking with my first pregnancy, and none in my second. Both were women and one was a friend. That instance I didn't mind. The other was a young gal I was playing soccer with at the time, and, like, I wasn't even showing? I was 12 or 13 weeks along, and had just told everyone, hey, guess why I haven't been playing goalie this session. And she, like, sqwaked excitedly and started rubbing my stomach. She had a lot of learning/growing to do still as a person. She eventually quit because we got mad at her for never subbing off. Kiddo, we are all paying a decent chunk of money to play soccer, not sit on the bench while you hog all the minutes. This is rec league, not the World Cup.

I do think casual platonic touch is a thing that is good for humans, but unfortunately weirdos and assholes ruin it for everyone else. Like, sometimes a guy will touch you on the shoulder, and it's completely fine, and other times, a guy will touch you on the shoulder and you can tell it's horny touching. And it's hard to explain the difference, so you just sort of have to say "no touching". Because the horny touchers will throw a hissy-fit if you let some guys touch your shoulder but not them.

I don't remember any comments about my pregnant body that bothered me specifically, though yeah, there are always a lot of comments. If you're the sort of person who doesn't like others talking about your body, pregnancy is gonna be a bad time. My mom probably said some bullshit at some point, but I just kind of in-one-ear-and-out-the-other her any more.

And yep on the grocery store randos. Had a definitely-too-old guy rush up to me and say something like "I just can't help it; you're really beautiful." Actually, sir, you can help it. You've chosen not to.

Haven't had to deal with grocery store randos lately, since Spassapparat does all the grocery shopping. I can't be trusted not to impulse buy eighteen different types of unhealthy snack food. :barefoot:

song219, soccernutter, russ and 4 others repped this.
  10. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Something else you want to tell us? :geek::coffee:;)

just kidding.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  11. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh god, I hope not. The baby shop is CLOSED.

This has been a problem even when I'm not pregnant, but for the record, I'm currently exclusively breastfeeding phedre jr. and, as mentioned in another thread, she is FAT. I am hungry all. the. time.

12. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

you are lost in the labyrinth of your own making

i do not call out when Republicans do or say stupid stuff because that's all anyone here ever does

but as soon as I post anything, and I mean anything, that paints the Dems in a poor light... well, you know how you get

and to set the record straight... someone (was it you?) would write a post after post in all capitol letters about how we were not allowed to talk about certain topics because we were not a part of that community

these threads get shut down 'cause you make a scene

13. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #7263 Sounders78, Jan 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    I make no apologies for the ONE instance to which you refer and I will do it again without hesitation (even if you do misrepresent what I was saying). What is extremely impressive is how upset you are that you cannot make denigrating posts about a group of people who are not represented in this forum. The moderators understood that anytime a thread about trans people was created that it quickly became a very bigoted place - very quickly. They understood that BEFORE the thread to which you refer was active. They allowed that thread to exist in the hope that history would not repeat itself, but it did, which was not a surprise at all.

It is inappropriate to discuss the rights a group of people should or should not have by people who are deeply bigoted toward the group when there is no member of the group available to present their side. It is why we do not have a thread for anti-Semites to talk about Jewish people or for white supremacists to talk about black people, no matter how much you would enjoy that.

I appreciate you are upset at the fact that you cannot denigrate and lie about a group of people who are not represented in these threads. I appreciate you feel you are the victim here, but you are not. You are not being repressed.

Superdave posted the following tweet a few days ago and it sums up the situation quite nicely.

xtomx repped this.
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROFLMFAO!!!

You have no idea how moderating works, do you?

xtomx, taosjohn and Sounders78 repped this.
  15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He should start charging for getting interviewed. Might as well make a business out of it.

16. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Shhhhh!!:speechless:

17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Wait so there is Phedre Jr and Phedre II?

18. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have two crotch goblins. Spassapparat jr came in spring of 2020, and now phedre jr, who came this last August.

xtomx and soccernutter repped this.
  19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Oh ok. Lucky you got two back to back. Why is your spouse nickname Spassaprat?

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Band name

roby, xtomx and taosjohn repped this.
  21. :ROFLMAO:
    You don't speak German:p:D

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think he posts here. probably username.

23. Given these examples I would like to quote Matthew 7.3:
    And why do you look at the splinter in your brother's eye, but not notice the beam in your own eye?

Why do you use performative outrage, when selective outrage is better known?

24. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    luftmensch and soccernutter repped this.
  25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana