Racism - Always and Forever

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Very interesting. I've been thinking about the differences between the Dutch and USA situation on this matter, because I recently had a conversation with my cousin, who's a teacher. She works as stand in for teachers, who are absent for a longer period because of illness etc. and she was working in a school with pupils from a problem neighbourhood.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Personally I wouldn't want the coup people involved in education

Deadtigers, Sounders78, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? :confused:

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I refer you back to the comment I made some posts ago regarding where information is gathered.

And I'd also remind you that it takes 6 (?) truths to combat a lie.

Deadtigers and Mike03 repped this.
  5. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's hard to resist cynicism but I think your approach is sound. Keep on keeping on, teach!

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the things I used to be very much in favor of was a national education metric where every student had the same standards and same expectations. My reasoning was from a teacher standpoint and how it would allow teachers to be able to move not just districts, but states, much easier because some of "us" were more transient in nature for a number of reasons. The great Demosthenes turned me around on that, mostly, noting that different areas have different needs. For example, it would be important to offer farming-type classes in the Midwest, but that would be crazy stupid to offer in LA or Washington, DC. Additionally, thinking of my high school growing up, it now offers Chinese (not sure if Mandarin or Cantonese) because of the demographic of the town/area and the inherent connection to China/Taiwan. But how relevant would that be to South Carolina or Alabama?

And, with the same consideration, urban schools, particularly poor schools, are different than suburban schools. Have grown up across the bridge from LA (literally), I learned to use a map in a specific way. But I have an uncle who used to teach in smaller town (10k population) in NW Wisconsin. His reading of the map, and associated context, was different than mine. For example, looking at a map and connecting it to the local area, saying go 5k is different in an urban area than it is in a rural area. And then expanding out is the "why?" Which leads into how people live in those areas, which drives what is important/of interest to the students to learn/be taught.

Deadtigers and Mike03 repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Dis

70144640.jpg

I was in the local dive bar with my bro & his GF when they interrupted the Knicks game with the dopey OJ chase

Deadtigers, soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    OJ kept 'em waiting because he wanted to see the end of that game..

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    #6534 Chicago76, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    I like the idea of common measurement on basic knowledge/concepts for two reasons:

1) in a global world/economy, the kid in rural wherever will still need the core skills acquired by the kid in Chevy Chase if that student would choose to relocate to those global hubs

2) you can’t “fix” what you can’t measure.

I think the problem with the common standards is precisely what you mention: we don’t contextualize the metrics. We could improve the measurement somewhat but that’s really a data interpretation problem.

I’m not an educator, but I view our problems in two parts:

1) we shoehorn all of the inputs (KG kids) into the same system and the US is a very unequal place when it comes to pre-K economic/educational support.

2) we standardize the process to a generic destination at 18 years of age. Outside of the lucky few who get a rigorous college prep education or the even fewer who get a proper vocational/apprenticeship style education, it doesn’t suit anyone particularly well.

35-40% of students are “college ready” because only 35-40% of students should probably be going the traditional 4-year college route. The vast majority who do/should are probably already in the college ready category by graduation, but there are many exceptions.

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    My point is that the stuff about "education must stay local" "we can't trust the feds with education" "its all been a failure" "how can we deal with bad teachers" is typically bad faith and just means I want right wing school

We should insist on table stakes. if you are supporting semi-fascism, you don't believe in any credible education policy.

Chicago76 and Sounders78 repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That was always my dads view as education became more of a business. Basically too many people went to University when only a smaller % were a good fit in terms of skills and ambitions

Churning out job ready units isn't really what universities were for

Chicago76 repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    A day later...

13. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    agree, but the ship sailed. More so in the US than any country in the world, we have professionalized and credentialed our occupations. Traditionally, universities have been the domain of pumping out graduates interested in religious scholarship, teaching, the first wave of credentialed professions (engineering/arch, medicine/vet and law), philosophy, scientists discovering the mysteries of the universe and moneyed people looking to write in the woods. That was as recently as pre-WW2.

it has been oversold as a path toward upward mobility and as a status marker. It has value beyond occupational training, but the costs don’t justify it IMO.

The BLS has employment data by occupational category. You can roughly break those categories down into high “traditional academic” ed, low ed, and hybrid.

hybrid is mixed depending upon what you’re doing (sales of technical products/securities vs person greeting you at the GAP, arts/entertainment classically trained performer/artist vs people operating a carnival ride or stripping). 10% of total employment. High Ed = FIRE + STEAM + education/information science. 27%. Low can be anything from installation and repair, grounds maintenance, food line prep, production on a factory floor, utility lineman, trades, etc). 63%.

If we want to improve the lives of people, incorporate the positive aspects of a university education that are most applicable to the lives of that 63% into something that moves them up the value add scale from guy behind the counter at the BP station to the person who maintains pipelines or installs solar or wind farms for BP.

And for those who want to pursue a university ed who lack the SES benefits and lag their college classmates, maybe introduce a 1 year gap/prep program to shore up deficiencies, reduce college dropout rates, etc.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    FIRE?

15. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    finance, insurance, real estate. BLS breaks those jobs out by occupational roles, so we’re talking about bankers, actuaries, fund managers, financial analysts, tax preparers, credit approval officers etc. Not accounts payable clerks, bank tellers, etc.

JohnR repped this.
  16. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    This is really the heart of the issue.

While everyone repeats the "the US has the lowest levels of education of any industrialized country" line, what most don't realize is that it's the working and lower classes that are dragging down this average. The middle classes and above do about as well as the other rich countries.

So you have to start drawing the connections. The poor in the US are also the ones that have some of the worst:

-health outcomes
    -life expectancy
    -infant mortality rates
    -murder rates
    -incarceration rates
    etc, etc.

in the industrialized world. It'd be illogical that the same communities that face these problems, somehow produce high or even average-achieving students. All the school vouchers in the world aren't going to change that. Greater funding might alleviate some of it, but it won't cure it, either.

Education is just another institution that reflects the astounding inequality in the US.

ElNaranja, song219, superdave and 8 others repped this.
  17. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...ducation,associated with higher voter turnout.

The strong correlation between education and voting is among the most robust findings in social science. We show that genes associated with the propensity to acquire education are also associated with higher voter turnout.

is this what you are talking about?

i've done my part, now can you confirm and expand (a little) on the correlation?

18. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    i don't know if you are doing this on purpose or its just reflexive

and what I am about to say has nothing to do with bias against over-education
    you are getting lost in the minutia of the issue to the point of inaction

how long would it take you to have buy-in from all the sides necessary to make all these proposals and see actual changes on the ground?
    and it seems to me that to have a pulse on all these different issues you would need a very local approach and not one from top down

and in the mean time, year after year waves of 'lost' students are making its way into and out of the current 'broken' system we have now

19. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    and it does not help your point to keep pointing out that non-educators are not as knowledgeable as you, an Educator

grade level has a common definition understood by students and parents... but at the Educator level, it seems that it has a different definition

how about we try this... have school districts remain local
    the ones with the 'rich white' people will use their local taxes to establish or maintain their schools as they see fit

the remaining districts that are not fully funded, should get more help from the state or fed to make them as equal as possible to the school districts that are successful in what ever the Educators like yourself deems is necessary

20. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    its not an idea, is the reality
    look at what is happening on the ground

if we think the education for the ... enter your favorite underprivileged minority... is not good enough, is that by purpose or accident

we've had a Department of Education, presumably staffed by knowledgeable, expert Educators for over 40 years... with the results being what?

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes. Thanks.

The strange part is I was still in LA and was hanging with my friends first at some bar, and then we went on to somebody's house. When I got back home and turned on the TV expecting the highlights, I got the "chase" live. The funny part is that since I drove around LA so much, I pulled out a map and started following the route knowing a lot of the bridges/buildings they were driving by. It was dumbfounding to see all the people holding up signs on the side of the road or on bridges.

22. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Yes. This is the “inputs” problem baked in when children hit kindergarten. We are more unequal in that regard than just about anywhere in the most highly developed world.

I was looking at Pisa scores after you posted this. Pisa isn’t perfect, but it tells us something. Compared to other OECD members, we are actually pretty average. If we remove countries like Turkey and Latin American OECD countries, we are below average but not bottom of the barrel.

They also have an interesting metric where they look at the score difference between 95th vs 5th percentile and 75th vs 25th percentile SES within countries. The US score gap between upper and lower SES students is wider than everywhere else save Turkey, Mexico, Colombia, Portugal, Spain, Luxembourg and Germany. The first three shouldn’t come as a surprise. Luxembourg I think is due to the country being insanely wealthy as a tax haven. They have many ridiculously educated and extremely wealthy households managing those finance companies. Their lower SES aren’t doing terribly. The upper SES are doing extremely well. Germany is probably due to the legacy of reunification + immigration. Spain+Portugal, I’m not sure about. Probably their status as being toward the bottom of the most highly developed country list but having high levels of immigration and a pretty class based society.

Compared to most countries, the US spends a fortune on primary education (relative to domestic middle of the road wages if not GDP). This probably reduces the score gap to the extent that we aren’t worse than every European OECD member.

But it really goes back to the inequality you describe. Educators aren’t magicians. Healthcare, housing, mental health/social support, pre-K education is worth a lot more than the extra resources thrown at kids in primary school trying to get them “caught up”.

Dominican Lou, russ, Mike03 and 5 others repped this.
  23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Should this discussion move to the Education Thread?

rslfanboy repped this.
  24. Interesting stuff.
    Are there any data on kids from deprived neighbourhoods attending better funded schools in (adjacent) better off neighbourhoods and how these are faring?

25. I wonder, because there seems to be a relation between racial segregated neighbourhoods/areas and wealth and education results.