R16 June 30 France vs Argentina [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by Wilsondrake, Jun 28, 2018.

1. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Stop being arrogant.

Christina99 repped this.
  2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah a lot of these records have been smashed in recent world cups... before it was hosts never got eliminated, Europeans couldn't win outside of their continent, world champions could never lose their opening games, etc, etc. - traditions were made to be broken.

3. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Guys regarding Belgium, keep in mind two of the teams in Belgium's group were 2/4 of the weakest teams in the whole tournament. Tunisia and Panama are terrible teams. They did beat England which was good, but its not like they completely dominated the Britz.

4. logmarc

logmarc Member

None
    Belgium
    Jun 29, 2018
    We will soon see how the red devils peforme under pressure. Putting aside my bias, I think it would be kind of funny if such a small country ( not even a "real country" according to some English politicians :cautious: ) was to win such a large competition. The consumption of beer that night would probably be truly mind-blowing :ROFLMAO: .

Actually quite a lot of goals were scored in the last minutes so far, and every goal counts ;) . At the end La Albicelestes was only one goal short to keep their dream alive. Like many, I think France will need to rise its level even more than it did between the first round and this game to have a chance. It is hard to make it all the way without a very strong defense.

True but they did what they had to do and won their three games fair and square.

My bet so far is on Croatia ( Spain is a possible but unlikely upset ) vs Brazil or Belgium for the final ( although I do acknowledge that on this side of the bracket neither Uruguay / Portugal or France can be be ruled out at the moment ).

PS : Uruguay - Portugal is getting interesting I hope, we will keep having lively games with some goals in the coming days. From what I saw so far I would say that style wise, France odds in the quarter would be better if they were to face Portugal. Uruguay has the perfect strength to counter France. Another interesting game in perspective anyways.

Christina99 repped this.
  5. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I hope Cavani is ok though. He did not look good.

6. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
  7. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who’s out for France then on cards? Matuidi & ??

8. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  9. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #409 Buffonfan, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Who here think France can beat Croatia? If it come down to that bracket.

For some reason I want to see France lost, if they lost I see it as I get my revenge from they beat Argentina in today's match.

10. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Man Mbappe is going to be the next superstar. I'm talking Ronaldo and Messi level.

11. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    I liked Uruguay's chances but without Cavani it is not the same.

12. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    He will win a world cup soon or later...they won't...

killaorca repped this.
  13. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Has it been confirmed that Cavani is out of the France game though?

14. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I do. They have the talent to beat anyone... as long as they put it together.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  15. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I doubt France & Croatia will even meet.

16. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    More or less.

17. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    The injury did not look too serious to me.

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be the 3rd place game

19. logmarc

logmarc Member

None
    Belgium
    Jun 29, 2018
    That is a weird reaction, I tend on the contrary to support the teams that beat my bias. If I am going down, I would rather loose to the best ( world champion ).

Based on the quality of the games so far I cannot see anyone beat Croatia.

However I somehow feel that weirdly, France teams are simultaneously able to loose against a clearly weaker team or raally and win against a formidable opponent at any time o_O.

I would say that If they were to survive their bracket ( which i do not see as the most likely outcome ) they might paradoxically be the team with the higher chance of creating an upset.

Among my two favorites on this bracket I would say Belgium would be the second most likely to grab a win. For some reasons I feel that despite being one of the ( usual ) favorite Brazil would find it very difficult to overcome a Croatian Blitzkrieg.

20. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I am pretty confident Croatia will make the final. If they go out before then it will be to Spain in the quarters. I never saw England/Colombia, or anyone else in that half of the bracket as favorites against them even before the WC started.

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  21. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    #421 pipinogol, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2018
    This is possibly the most ********* comment i have read here.

Uruguay has only 4 players like you describe (the CBs and the FWs) plus a few others that start for decent teams of top leagues. Argentina has 6 or 7 (Messi, Dybala, Agüero, Higuaín, Di María, Lo Celso, Otamendi + Fazio if you consider Roma big enough) plus other 4 or 5 that start for decent teams.

Yet Uruguay looked leagues above Argentina as a collective.

22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    he most closely resembles fat Ronaldo in his play. That level of acceleration and power just can't be stopped.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I can't believe I only got one rep for this joke.
    Thanks frideswide for your sense of humor.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You pollute every thread with this topic. Conmebol does not have 50 NTs, in terms of percentages it surpasses UEFA almost every single WC.

25. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's good, but his goals and the penalty today were based on youth and speed . A comp of the different sort might be Michael Owen.

astinus4 repped this.