R16 July 3 Sweden v. Switzerland [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by soccernutter, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I was wondering whether the Sweden fans on here could explain how they feel now that their world cup is over?

2. Mats Nygren

Mats Nygren New Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    If England plays the way they did against Colombia then Sweden have little to fear and a very good chance of winning.

I felt the Colombia game was 50/50 and Sweden has already got past better teams than England ...

But this is Englands chance of a lifetime.

If they don't win it now I don't know when they will win ...

But somehow England has always managed to fail the last decades, and If Iceland could knock England out then Sweden can too ...

3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Sweden ?
    :confused:

4. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    Great with Swedish victory and well deserved, we were the better team.

5. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    We have been hoping to get England to better our statistic of the last 10 games Sweden 3 Victories, 5 draws and 2 losses, which we are not happy with. BBC expert Pat Nevin, said that england win 99 or 100 times against Sweden...wonder where he got that stats from???

6. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    We were lucky that got England, they will fall under pressure :)

7. Mats Nygren

Mats Nygren New Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    Maybe England got too cocky after only losing 2-1 to Iceland last EC ...

8. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I don't think England should fear Sweden, have you seen their squad list with clubs? Only one plays for a decent club and that's Victor Lindelöf and he's well known for being shit.

People saying England won't win this are quite frankly just anti English.

9. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    I think you may be right :)

10. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    I would say that all clubs they play in are decent clubs...

11. Mats Nygren

Mats Nygren New Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    Did you do that comparison against Iceland too and how did that turn out ? Got any explanation for that ?

12. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    So anyone that say England will not win are ant english...funny?

13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #163 Rickdog, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Most likely, he got it from an english report, written by an english fan, whom only watches premier league matches, and whom doesn't even know that there is a full world beyond the limits of the Brittish islands in Europe.
    ;)

The other possibility is that he is taking in account all matches played before 1947, where England had that sort of results, but since then, its Sweden whom has the best head to head record.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/sweden/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/England/

14. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    hahaha that was a good one!

15. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal

16. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think I would have given MotM to whatever Swiss guy had Forsberg's shot ricochet off his leg.

17. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    Lucky? Lucky that that he shot the ball towards the goal, lucky if the defender would got a toe on the ball and it would had gone outside or in the post...Lucky unlucky...it is invilved in all games, so I think we can leave that discussion, to low level for me

18. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hey, I fully understand that you need to.create your own luck. But still, it was a lame shot. I wouldn't give Forsberg MotM credit for it.

19. Mats Nygren

Mats Nygren New Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    And by the same logic maybe we could award it to the referee in the Colombia-England game for giving out the penalty to England ...

20. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    Impossible discussion, you just put yourself in a corner...talkning about luck...I saw this in Daily Mail this year (Since this is your team) "Arsenal are lucky to be in the top seven of the Premier League"

21. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    Då fick vi tyst på honom också :)

22. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    I just think it is funny when a so called "expert" say things like that with no facts behind just saying things people whish to hear. The even more funny part is that after the game if England lose, he will come up with some even more crazy excuses

23. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    At least Mr. Southgate knows what he talks about "But now I'm thinking about Sweden. They are another team we have a poor record against. We have underestimated them for years." So the English that really matters, the coaches and the players are not the arrogant english we are used to see so that is the thing that makes me take them serious, let the best etam win!

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have posted this elsewhere, but England have a horrible record against Scandanavian sides... Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and even Iceland all have recorded historic wins and eliminations against England. Sweden are probably their biggest nemesis... for some reason, Scandanavian sides are an absolutely awful matchup for England.

25. Soccerhead FC

Soccerhead FC New Member

Östersund FK
    Sweden
    Jul 4, 2018
    Portugal
    You are right but history is not worth much (my oppinon), it is now, here and now that matters, I do not put much attention to what happen 10 - 20 years ago, new players, new coaches etc, times are a changing as Dylan sang. I think England will be more to count with from now on and in a near future and much of the reason is that today generation on English Football players has not growed up with muddy pitches as the former generations, they will be better Football player. The only thing that need to happen is that more young English players need to get a chance to play on high level Football before they are 19 - 20 years old, they need to restrict numbers of foregien players in the Premier league