R16 July 2 Brasil v. Mexico [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by soccernutter, Jun 30, 2018.

1. GhostofBruceArena

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    You've gone from being 'violently stomped on' to 'fouled', you've accused me of allowing MMA to take place. It appears you are the one all over the place. Way too emotional and not very focused.

refereeing 10 years U-8 to amateur adults. Over 400 games. A grand total of 2 have ended up in the hospital. One broken leg and one girl who dehydrated rapidly due to her period. I totally blame myself for the latter.

2. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Both should've been carded, TBH.

3. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And since we have it, we should use it to punish and deter violent misconduct like Layun's.

kaburu and Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  4. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  5. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  6. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Um. now you're hallucinating. I never said fouled (play was stopped after all, so USB or VC, but not a foul), nor "violently stomped on". I suggested a stomping on you might help bring the issues at stake into focus for you, not that Layun stomped on Neymar. He clearly and intentionally stepped on him, but apparently that's ok to you.

And you aren't to blame for letting the game get out of control enough to result for a broken leg? Interesting.

SF19 repped this.
  7. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The problem is that to be a red card it has to be 'brutal" which it isn't to a "clear and obvious standard". Clear and obvious yellow cards aren't subject to on field review from the VAR, so under the current rules, VAR isn't involved. Only in review of awarded red cards or obvious missed red cards. This is bright orange, and so not clear and obviously wrong in the failure to show red. It IS clearly wrong in the failure to show yellow for USB, but that's not something VAR is supposed to send down.

8. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no basis for carding Neymar. He can't be feigning injury or a foul, since he was in fact stepped on. (without getting into the foul issues)

I could imagine a ref giving him a talking to saying that next time I feel you're diving, you're getting a card, so watch your step.

9. GhostofBruceArena

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    post 251

Broken leg was from his own player running into him

10. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    This is the problem with what happened. Layun deliberately stepped on Neymar. He didn't do it out of the kindness of his heart or because he was being sporting. It was a cheap shot. There's no excuse for it.

I do think Neymar should however quit exaggerating and talk to the referee and the press again. He's not doing that. He's not pointing out that he had the broken foot a few months back. That at 2014, they came high with a knee into his back and broke his back, a play that saw no red card. He needs to make this an issue because what opponents are doing is fouling him deliberately, taking digs at him every time, and they're doing it with different players to avoid anyone from getting a second yellow or from getting that initial yellow for repeated offenses. The players are being instructed by their coaches to do this.

If the referees fail to act, I won't be surprised to see Neymar retaliate with his own digs at some point. If he lets this get to him, he might do something along the lines of what Ronaldo did against Iran that saw him almost sent off (and he would have been had it been vicious his elbow). And in Brazil, the press would love to blame him as a scapegoat should that cost Brazil the tournament.

Azurra89, Guinho and Redshift repped this.
  11. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    In the end, though, I agree with Neymar in that he tried to get the referee to give Layun a red card. If Layun is stupid enough to try to cause injury, then F*CK him. Let him hurt Mexico by getting himself thrown out of a World Cup round of 16 match.

12. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If Neymar wins the WC will he be ranked above Ronaldo Fenomeno?

13. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a fan of simulation at all, but Neymar didn't fake contact. Without a doubt he exaggerated how much pain he was in...but is that punishable as deception? Do we punish all the Mexican players for throwing their hands up trying to get an offside call when the play wasnt offside? Do we punish players that signal the throw-in incorrectly as a way to deceived the official?

If FIFA is going to clean it up they need a law to address it, but exaggerating contact/injury can be quite hard to judge.

14. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No, only if he wins another WC title. Because Ronaldo won two, but only one did he actually play a key role in.

15. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
  16. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    In which world are we living when the most mentioned actor of that scene is Neymar and not Layún?
    Oh my goodness ... I have years of women football behind me and I know what is typical to men's football:
    1) diving, whining, exaggerating fouls
    2) hard body checks, at the limit to violence
    And I do accept these as "male" characteristics. This has always been like this, we have always laughed at it and this is ok.
    But when you step deliberately on the ankle of another player outside any action this is not "male" acting. This is simply coward! And in any situation this is a red card!
    And this is also how we always looked at it.
    It's as if it's because it was against whining Neymar it's ok - he complains too much and makes too much theater out of everything, so he deserves it.
    C'mon. You can hate Neymar as much as you want, but when you insist on bashing him for that scene and ignore what his opponent did, you're not only a hater. You're a complete moron.
    And as much as I also don't like Neymar's theater acting, he's not the only one in this WC and also not in football history.
    But I have the impression that his only chance to survive the tournament is really showing how he's chased on the pitch. And try to get some attention from the referees.
    Or did we forget that exactely for this reason he finished the last WC on crutches and almost missed this one now?

celito repped this.
  17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    IMO one of the instructions Layun had when he came in is to wind Neymar up by provoking him. A couple of times before this incident, he gave a completely needless little push on his back. Once after the ball was gone and another one when the play was dead for a throw in. Both times Neymar went down on purpose as he typically does. The 2nd time Layun also tries to pick him up which is something douchebag Sergio Ramos does all the time and IMO should get a warning from the ref.

I would have been ok with at least a YC for that step.

18. GhostofBruceArena

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    Here is the great thing about the LOTG. They are mostly subjective about how you enforce them.

It is black and white if the ball is in or if its out. Everything else has some degree of subjectivity.

Is the ref within his right to card such deception you describe above? I suppose, but you won't be refereeing very long.

FIFA won't change the law, but they will instruct refs how they want it interpreted if Neymar-rolling becomes a repeated issue done by many.

19. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    It is already repeated constantly.
    In all matches you find players trying to have their opponents get yellow or red cards by exaggerating the contacts.
    Like right now the english player against Colombia. Such a stupid action by the colombian player should indeed give him a red card. Because it was clearly an aggression. But his head touched lightly the guy's breast, and yet he felt down as if he had been knocked out by Mike Tyson.
    English players are commonly fair. But in such a situation you have a chance to change the game completely if the opponent gets a red card.
    Will we talk about this english player? No. I don't even know which one he was.
    But with Neymar this happens the whole time because he's fouled the whole time.
    This is how they stop him because differently from many other forwards, he's commonly vertical in his actions and tries to get through. And only being yellow carded they refrain from stop him with fouls.
    Again, as much as I don't like it, this is his way to have the guys being yellowed.
    In the same way as the guys try to provoke him with light actions, since they know he can explode lightly.

Redshift repped this.
  20. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Touched his breast? lol. You didn't see Barrios' head then go up and hit Henderson's chin? At about the 12 second mark.

21. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    This is just a side comment because Layun is a dumbass for doing that. But TBH it amazes me that a grown ass man who has hundreds of millions in he bank does shit like roll around 3-4 times after every foul and screams for virtually all contact, especially when he’s a much superior player to anyone on our team. Who’s teaching these dudes the theatrics?

Anyway good win overall by Brasil. Normal score line and while Mexicans are upset, it was a good game from the team. This is their level. Top 16 team always, never quite top 8.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think a lot of people don't realize how calculated that is. It's not stupidity. Layun was trying to provoke Neymar from the start of the 2nd half with a couple of pushes on the back before this. Neymar has a temperament and the goal is to getting him to react. Neymar's theatrics are much of the same. Trying to get attention from the ref to punish the opponent.

laurasoccerfreak repped this.
  23. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Be that as it may, stepping on him when the ref has the capacity to watch replays, I would call that stupid. Don’t know what you’d call it, although I do understand your overall point.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And amazingly VAR didn't "see it". Not even a yellow. He probably thought he made it look accidental enough that it wouldn't be obvious. That's how players think.

25. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For sure. I have to wonder about the game theory. Is it that refs don't call fouls without it. Do stoic players get fewer calls? The sad reality is that I bet they do, which is why he does it.