R16 July 2 Brasil v. Mexico [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by soccernutter, Jun 30, 2018.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He has already been booked once.

BlueDamian repped this.
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A yellow for each spin embellishing. :)

metnostar repped this.
  3. GhostofBruceArena

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    Seeing how he was back on the field in short order, I think a pretty good argument for attempting to deceive was taking place. while he may have been fouled he was attempting to deceive that he was injured.

4. GhostofBruceArena

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    Really? Go ask Ramos in the URU/POR why he didn't hand out cards based on reaction. He ignored the behavior.

5. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I can't believe there are people defending his behaviour. You can't be serious.

6. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Fantastic match. Neymar deserved man of the match performance although Willian also could have been chosen as well.
    Neymar gave a very mature performance.
    Mexico showed that they are very limited team and I was a bit disappointed with Lozano, too many bad decisions.

7. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I realize you want soccer to be a bloodsport like MMA but he got stepped on. Anything after that is irrelevant. This stupid attempt to distract from the thuggery of Layun is gettin ridiculous

I can only imagine how many players would end up in the hospital if you were a ref

8. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't have a problem with him pulling tricks and so-called clowing around when he's trying to get around defenders. He's got the talent to do it, so do it. That's part of the beautiful game and it's part of why we watch the sport, to see those skills in action that others others don't have.

I do have a problem when he then turns around and mocks those players that he so skillfully and brilliantly got passed by. And I certainly have a problem with his constant whining and moaning and him going down at the slightest touch, or even where there is no touch (iow diving) at all, specially when he is position to have chance at goal. Yet prefers to take the dive.

9. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently there are a lot of people who like Players like Ramos, deJong, Layun

Shen-O, HTCONEM8, celito and 1 other person repped this.
  10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Because that's how real men play.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't have a problem with people criticizing Neymar for his antics. But that shouldn't change ones opinion on Layun's action. You shouldn't say because that because Neymar rolled like he was shot that Layun didn't deserve to be cautioned. Neymar got a red and 4 game suspension for barely head butting, almost no contact, a Colombian in CA'11. Should we have used the same justification that there was no enough "pressure" in that case ?

Redshift repped this.
  12. Azurra89

Azurra89 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jun 27, 2018
    Oh screw it..you are complaining but in this match that was the only time Neymar exageratted. He didnt dive on purpose at any other momment. It was a clean match.

Also he had reason to roll, why the hell the Mexican stomp on him like that? And you guys are complaining about Neymar? WTF?

The problem is that some people just don't like Neymar..so they will complain about anything he does...soon they will complain when Neymar score a goal..telling he faked the goal somehow.

However the guy is probably the best player currently in this WC, so if you want him to get a RED card for reacting from an intentional stomp, then you guys are the ones that are against sport and talent.
    Neymar out of this WC would be a shit, and not good to watch, doesn't matter if you like him or not, he is a great player PERIOD.

13. Azurra89

Azurra89 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jun 27, 2018
    Neymar cries after he won a difficult match (like Costa Rica) because he is a human and suffer a f*** pressure from his country and people (I know what Im talking about), and people act like he can't have feellings..like he is faking even cries now...dude..he is a 26 years old human.
    Lets stop the mimimi and try to put ourselves in his place.

14. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Sorry I fell off my chair when my dog brushed by and I rolled down the stairs on the other side of the room. I should be okay though.

I couldn't care less for those guys. Just like I don't care for theatrics when I'm trying to enjoy the sport.

15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Layun should have gotten either a yellow for unsporting behavior for stepping on neymar, or a red if deemed with enough force. Ref missed it and it isn’t obvious red. Neymar isn’t cardable no matter how he rolls around because he was, in fact stepped on.

celito and Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  16. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Too many people are offended by Neymar's reaction to being stomped on by some idiot Mexican and yet I do not see the same reaction to the actual stomp. Seems pretty stupid to me.
    It would have been great if Layun got a red card so that the Mexicans would have to think about the stupidity of stepping on an opponent while he is on the ground. That well deserved red card would have left Mexico with ten men at a most critical point in the match. Hopefully at that time they would have realized how truly stupid Layun is.

laurasoccerfreak repped this.
  17. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t like thugs who step on other players, elbow other players in the head, or deliver large kicks to the chest, either. Both need to stop

18. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Right. People on this forum and others don't realize that the stomp is the end. Neymar can roll a thousand times if he likes. The red card goes to Layun, end of story.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's because stepping on someone on the ground is manly.

leonidas, Shen-O, patopreto and 2 others repped this.
  20. Azurra89

Azurra89 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jun 27, 2018
    I do think it is most likely this hate is due to the fact their beloved Messi or CR7 is not in the WC anymore.

21. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Right. What a P*SSY move it is to step on the foot of an opponent on the ground. I suppose that's the extent of Layun's quality on the pitch. That is, injure Ney because you can't keep up with him during the game.

22. Azurra89

Azurra89 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jun 27, 2018
    #272 Azurra89, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2018
    The worst is not Layun's act...but to see people who say they love football to blame Neymar for it.

leonidas and Shen-O repped this.
  23. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm reminded of Ronaldinho's straight red card against England in 2002 for a late challenge (which was not off the field while play was stopped). Here's an article about Danny Mills discussing the incident:

Mills talking about it:

The foul is at 3:40:

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And from this angle, I can guarantee you Layun was already trying to kick him 2 times before stepping on him. As they go out off the sidelines, and then as he lays his right leg down. Often players love to make stomps look accidental to take a cheap shot.

Azurra89 and Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  25. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is why we now have VAR

Redshift repped this.