R16 Analysis: GER-ENG - Larrionda (URU)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You probably didn't get a proper view of him... ;) :D

Hey! I keeed, I keeed :)

2. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    The article doesn't say anything we didn't already know, they got the call wrong. It does say, they didn't know it until later, that they didn't see a TV at halftime, they felt they may be/probably got it wrong based on people's reactions, but didn't know til they saw it on a TV, presumably after the game.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    TBH the LAST thing you'd want is for ref's to be trying to 'even it out' during the game if they catch sight of a mistake they've made. Just make the calls the way you see them. If you make a mistake, so be it.

4. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    Unless, of course, it benefits your team...:rolleyes:

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Not really.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem is that they might catch ONE thing at halftime which they could 'correct' but miss a load the other way they weren't aware of. In the past teams I supported have lost out more than they have gained, (Tom Henning Ovrebo in the Chelsea/Barca game at Stamford Bridge, anyone? :rolleyes:), and this year when we were denied a goal when Salomon Kalou was 1 vs. 1 with the keeper and was brought down by a tackle from behind, the penalty not given because, according to the referee, "He wasn't in control of the ball when the tackle was made". Well, shown below is a picture of the tackle being made as it happens?

Do YOU think he's 'not in control of the ball'??? I mean, leaving aside the issue of, 'what the hell's that got to do with it'???

[​IMG]

I'd prefer it if people just call the stuff accurately, tbh.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Unfortunately the same no-goal incident happened today in the U20 WC game between Germany and France and it nearly cost France the qualification for the 2nd round. Lea Rubio's shot went over the line but the AR did not see it.

9. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    It was a Women's U-20 World Cup match, and France would have been eliminated regardless.

Gilmoy said it best:
    Rubio's goal should have been much more obvious because the ball went in off the crossbar very near the far post. Like this match, the ball landed about one ball width in, or slighly more, and the AR's view was unobstructed.

France 1:4 Germany Match Highlights