[R] We blocked 18 shots....

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by mfw13, Jun 24, 2009.

1. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    According to the match report, Spain had 29 shots, five of which were not on goal, and six of which were saved by Timmy. That means eighteen which were blocked by a defender, which has to be some kind of record...

2. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Which showed, of course, how lucky we were to win...and how much better Spain is that us as an attacking side.

Of course, full props to our guys, who gutted out a huge victory. But while I wouldn't call it a fluke, I wouldn't call it evidence of our skill and ability as a soccer team either.

3. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd believe it. It'd be interesting to see a player breakdown, I bet Rico had a a lot.

4. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not entirely sure how doing a good job getting in the way of shots doesn't count as evidence of soccer ability....but ok.

5. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
    I haven't seen numbers for the match (or overall numbers from the group matches), but after 4 matches, Spain has completed 81.31% of their passes, I wonder how much our effort to block passes reduced that today.

6. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    they reminded me of a hockey team out there today blocking shots like that. clear committment to win. great effort.