[R] The obsession with David Beckham in Englad and Spain

Discussion in 'Spain' started by JuanRojo, Oct 7, 2003.

1. JuanRojo

JuanRojo New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Sorry, not sure what that [R] means, so I thought I should put one in just in case ...

Am I allowed to post a whole article (well, not the whole thing actually, but a pretty big chunk) in here from another website? Hope so ... this is from the Guardian - a nice vision of just how Beckham obsessed the whole world is. It's an entry from their Beckham diary. Page address was:

www.guardian.co.uk/microsite/sanmiguel/story/0,13717,1047410,00.html

.... Blah blah blah, some stuff about Real Madrid moving training grounds ... then it says (and the last line is the best bit) ... :

All of which adds up to yet more excitement in an action-packed week for soccer sensation Dave Becks, the man the Spanish press have dubbed, a "Stakhanovite", a "Gladiator" and even the "son of Zeus" (which isn't Spanish for Ted). Some have even called him a footballer, the best in the whole wide world - and that's official. A study in Marca showed that Becks is the Spanish league's most-involved player, the statistical number one in passes, plays and assists. But only the number nine in fouls received, which is a bit pathetic. Still, despite being really rubbish at getting kicked, the press continues to drool. "Beckham the new King: the disbelievers surrender before his play and his stats", sang a bowing Marca.

Away from the Bernabéu grass it's been just as action-packed. A week when Dave mainly dodged the paparazzi who follow him absolutely everywhere, but did manage to run over a foot or two; when it was confirmed that his sister-in-law crashed his Porsche; when son Romeo experienced his "escalator hell", in which the Super Soar-away Sun claimed that the tiny tot came "crashing" down an escalator, sending blood "gushing" - yes gushing - from his head.

Now, this diary wouldn't like the belittle the event, but Romeo is a toddler, he toddles, he falls over, it happens. Yet, so important was the stumble - sorry, gravity defying plummet - that one media company, who know who the are, deemed it sensible to phone this diary for more information (because it follows Romeo around and knew ALL about the fall, obviously). At five o'clock in the bloody morning.

But then we just can't get enough - something proven when Dave left the training pitch halfway through yesterday's debut session at Las Rozas. A collective in-take of breath and suddenly, cameras were poised, notebooks were out and phones were drawn from pockets like a Wild West guns from holsters. Like moths to a flame, the press pack were drawn, entranced, towards the door where Dave had disappeared, sensing something BIG had happened - or was about to. Two minutes later, Dave was back. It's true: the guy can't even take a piss in peace.

2. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    (R) in a thread title means match results may be posted, so that people don't accidentally see the result of a game they are going to watch on a delayed basis, etc.

i think mods generally frown on posting a whole article from other sites, although you can of course quote them and you can also provide the links.

this was a pretty funny article. I haven't seen that Beckham diary in the guardian in a little while. Are they tired of it?

3. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bienvenidos a BigSoccer, JuanRojo!

Somehow I knew when I saw the [R] in the title that you had no idea what it is used for. :)

The [R] is placed in a thread title if any results are going to be revealed within the thread. Next time you start a thread, read the RED print next to the title bar.

This was answered already by bkn, but I'll add that it is a violation of the Terms of Service (ToS) to post the entire content of a link.

For more a more detailed explanation, I suggest you visit this link:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2860
    Classic!

Welcome to BigSoccer, Juan. :)

4. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    First, Welcome to the boards.

Second, what bkn0528 and Sinko don’t know is that the [R] also stands for Rubbish!!
    and since Bitchkam is a basket full of rubbish I think the [R] should be there and I thank you for it.
    And Spaniards are a bunch of KooKoo's for being obsessed with a soccer player that looks like a character from the Final Fantasy games!
    Ok, so he is a good player but no where near Raul or ZZ but all I hear is Bitchkam this and Bitchkam that, give me a break!!!

5. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my. :rolleyes:

6. JuanRojo

JuanRojo New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    First of all: thanks for the warm welcomes everyone ... and sorry for the [R] nonsense. And for quoting a bit too much from that article.

And minuscapita: I know lots of people are sick of David Beckham (he too, up to a point) - that's part of the reason why I included that article, as it showed how silly it had got (and was quite funny and wasn't fawning towards Beckham at all). It can be interesting reading about Beckham when written by people with an unusual viewpoint, can't it?

bkn0528: I'm not sure what's happened to the Beckham diary at GU, but you're right it does seem to have disappeared. Shame ... they do have other Spanish football stuff, though. Spanish press is still full of him.

7. PaddyClaretman

Oct 21, 2003
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Right, this is the thing. Everyone gets sick of Beckham's media coverage. We all do here in England even though he's the captain of our country. We don't want to know what he has for breakfast or his latest hairdo, we just want him to perform on the pitch, and he does so, time and time again. We hoped the media thing would die down when he went to Spain but it hasn't really. Anyway, whatever you think of him as a person, you can't deny his talent. He is statistically Real's best player so far this season, according to OPTA. And the so-called Real Madrid 'fan' slagging him off is clearly a yank who knows nothing about football, otherwise you'd realise what an asset he is to 'your' club. Stick to MLS, mate, you clearly do not know what you're talking about.

8. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    Is their a link to view that info or back it up? I would love to see those numbers.

As far as Spanish/Madrid media is concerned, I think they have more coverage of Ronaldo than Beckham nowadays. They gave Beckham a lot of attention at first as he was the "star" signing of the year, but I would argue no more than Ronaldo when they signed him, Zidane before him or Figo before ZZ. Real Madrid's president is promising a "star" signing per year now, so expect Beckham to get a little less coverage in 2004 and on. Lucky him!

Then again, RealMadrid is doing its pre-season in the States for next year, and most Americans seem to recognize Beckham only... He shuld get plenty of media attention here.