[R] The 2009 Playoff Race – Magic Numbers, Tragic Numbers & Other Assorted Obfuscation [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Sep 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. lagalaxy900

lagalaxy900 Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The 2009 Playoff Race – Magic Numbers, Tragic Numbers & Other Assorted Obfuscation

Interesting stuff.

Probably the most amazing thing for me is that if the Revs win their remaining 3 games- they are the second seed in the East no matter how Chicago plays. And if you include the fact that Chicago would lose to NE and then play Chivas, it is possible Chicago could lose both remaining games and not even make the playoffs.

2. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The 2009 Playoff Race – Magic Numbers, Tragic Numbers & Other Assorted Obfuscation

The ending race is going to be pretty interesting.

Despite the odds and chances and so forth, you have to like teams that control their own destiny and you have to like the odds of the West sending more teams than the east.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

In Brief
    • There ain't no way for San Jose,
      Dreams turned into dust and blew away.
    • With the Dallas win, this weekend's Columbus at New England games is still shaping
      up to be massive. And not just because Columbus is participating. Columbus wins, it's
      a brawl for the 8th spot. New England wins, it's a big battle for the Supporter's Shield.
      If the game ends in a draw, then all hell breaks loose.
    Notes

• If you can't figure out one of the blanks ("--") then check the old updates for explanations.
    Code:
    [B][U]         GP  GR W   D   L   PTS PPG   PRJ MPP M#  T#  SSE#[/u]
    [COLOR="DarkBlue"]01  CMB  27  3  12  10  05  46  1.70  51  55  --  --  10
    02  LAG  28  2  11  11  06  44  1.57  47  50  --  --  05
    03  HOU  28  2  12  08  08  44  1.57  47  50  --  --  05[/COLOR]
    04  CDC  26  4  12  05  09  41  1.58  47  53  04  16  08
    05  CHI  28  2  10  11  07  41  1.46  44  47  04  10  02
    06  SEA  28  2  10  11  07  41  1.46  44  47  04  10  02
    07  COL  28  2  10  10  08  40  1.43  43  46  05  09  --
    08  NER  27  3  10  08  09  38  1.41  42  47  07  10  02
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    09  DCU  28  2  08  12  08  36  1.29  39  42  09  05  --
    10  FCD  28  2  10  06  12  36  1.29  39  42  09  05  --
    11  TFC  27  3  09  08  10  35  1.30  39  44  10  07  --
    12  RSL  27  3  09  07  11  34  1.26  38  43  11  06  --
    13  KCW  27  3  08  08  11  32  1.19  36  41  13  04  --
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]14  SJE  27  3  07  07  13  28  1.04  31  37  --  --  --
    15  NYR  28  2  04  06  18  18  0.64  19  24  --  --  --[/COLOR]

GP = Games Played | GR = Games Remaining | PPG = Points Per Game
    PRJ = Projected = PTS + (GR x PPG)
    MPP = Max Points Possible = PTS + (3 x GR)
    M# = Magic Number = (9th Highest MPP) – PTS + 1
    T# = Tragic Number = MPP – (8th Highest PTS) + 1
    SSE# = SS Elimination Number = MPP - (1st Place PTS) + 1 

- Sorted by PTS, then fewest GP.
    - Teams in [COLOR="SlateGray"]gray[/COLOR] have been eliminated from the playoffs.
    - Teams in [COLOR="DarkBlue"]blue[/COLOR] have clinched a playoff spot.[/B]
    Code:
    [B][U]Pace: Deviation from 3 at home, 1 on the road[/U]

[U]         GP  PTS HG  AG  HW HD HL AW AD AL PCE[/U]
    01  CDC  26  41  12  14  8  2  2  4  3  7  -09
    02  CMB  27  46  14  13  9  4  1  3  6  4  -09
    03  HOU  28  44  14  14  8  5  1  4  3  7  -12
    04  LAG  28  44  14  14  6  4  4  5  7  2  -12
    05  NER  27  38  13  14  7  3  3  3  5  6  -15
    06  CHI  28  41  14  14  4  6  4  6  5  3  -15
    07  SEA  28  41  14  14  6  6  2  4  5  5  -15
    08  TFC  27  35  13  14  7  3  3  2  5  7  -18
    09  COL  28  40  15  13  8  5  2  2  5  6  -18
    10  RSL  27  34  13  14  7  5  1  2  2  10 -19
    11  DCU  28  36  14  14  6  5  3  2  7  5  -20
    12  FCD  28  36  14  14  7  4  3  3  2  9  -20
    13  KCW  27  32  13  14  4  4  5  4  4  6  -21
    14  SJE  27  28  15  12  6  4  5  1  3  8  -29
    15  NYR  28  18  14  14  4  4  6  0  2  12 -38

Sorted by PCE, then fewest GP, then PTS.[/B]

Code:
    [B][U]Remaining League Schedule[/U]

[U]TEAM   WK30   WK31   WK32[/U]
    CDC:   KCW    SJE    @CHI
           ----   ----   HOU
    CHI:   ----   @NER   CDC
    CMB:   @NER   @DCU   NER
    COL:   ----   @FCD   @RSL
    DCU:   ----   CMB    @KCW
    FCD:   ----   COL    @SEA
    HOU:   ----   LAG    @CDC
    KCW:   @CDC   SEA    DCU
    LAG:   ----   @HOU   SJE
    NER:   CMB    CHI    @CMB
    NYR:   ----   @RSL   TFC
    RSL:   ----   NYR    COL
           ----   @TFC   ----
    SEA:   ----   @KCW   FCD
    SJE:   @TOR   @CDC   @LAG
    TFC:   SJE    RSL    @NYR
    [/B]

4. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas

Bump #2

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep, although if Dallas wins, they both could make it, as NE has a really tough road to hoe: Crew, Fire, @Crew. 2/3 at home, however.

FCD are officially in the running.

Of the chasing pack, only TFC can max out at 44, and because of scheduling and tie-breakers, Houston and LA both still clinch.

A win for anyone on 41 (or 40) will almost certainly qualify them as well, however, I'd urge them to get that win under their belts next week, because you don't want it coming down to the last week with your fate in the air, anything can happen.

Plus, if you look at who the teams on 41/40 play next, a win would hamper the chasing teams:

Chivas 41 from 26. KC (this week), SJ, @Fire, Hou. A win has to lock it, and probably kills KC off (don't know the TB with NE). But they do have some cushion. However, drop this one, and you'd better win that SJ game, because the last two (in one week) look tricky.

Seattle. 41 from 28. @KC, FCD. Two great road wins (@DC and @Columbus) have them looking a lot prettier right now than I predicted. However, Falter @KC, and a red hot, and probably still alive FCD can pass you on the last game, and so could COL, and maybe NE & or TFC/RSL. Have to think they are rooting for Chivas to kill KC off this week.

Chicago. 41 from 28. Injuries abound. @NE, CHV to close. Two tough teams. Plus the Crew could have things wrapped up by the finale with NE and send out a bunch or reserves (which could really throw a wrench into it for any team ahead of NE if NE are 9th, and the chasers if they are 8th or better). Plus, lose to NE and they are even or ahead, depending on this weeks outcome with Columbus.

Colorado. 40 from 28. @FCD, @RSL. Win or draw and FCD's and RSL's hopes are probably dashed. Lose, and they are right on your tail, if not past you.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

FCD maxes out at 42 points. That's 8th place (perhaps 7th if the results go just right).

Thing is, if FCD is in the running, then I think ironically their biggest threat is actually DC United. DC United wins the 42 point tie-breaker with FC Dallas.

Look at the schedules. DCU plays at home against Columbus and away against KC. Is DCU going to drop 4 straight home games? Well, if they do Soehn better be tarred and feathered and unceremoniously immediately dumped into the Anacostia .

DC United currently is on a 3 home game losing streak. That happened only once before in DC United's history, in 2000 (4/22-5/13) during Rongen's last year coaching.

If you look at winless home streaks, then you find one 3 home game winless streak in 2000 (6/28-8/13) under Rongen. Then you've got some stats that are so bad under Hudson even I, whose Hudson hatred took a backseat to nobody back in the day, was shocked: a 4 home game winless streak in 2001, a 3 home game winless streak in 2002, and then in 2003 two 3 game home winless streaks and one 4 home game winless streak!

That's it for dreadful home game stands.

Which brings us to 2009. If DC United loses to Columbus next weekend it will be beyond all precedent. DC United has only once come close to a four home game losing streak and that was back in ancient times. Even four game winless streaks are exceedingly rare: there are only two and those were back in ancient times as well.

Now I'm not saying that DC United is going to beat Columbus because of the law of averages. I'm only saying that a four game home losing streak is unprecedented territory for DC United and four game home winless streaks are at the very periphery of known territory.

So let's entertain the not-so-outlandish possibility that DC United beats Columbus and that FCD continues its winning ways. Then we'd go into the final weekend with FCD playing Seattle (a team that will probably need or want some points out of that match) and DC United playing KCW (a team that will very likely be eliminated before their final match).

If it's a race to 42, then who would you put your money on under those circumstances? FCD or DCU? I think it would be a tough call. And even if both DCU and FCD won, it's actually DCU that would come out on top because of the tie-breaker.

7. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DCU = Edmund Fitzgerald
    FCD = Saturn V rocket

Somehow I don't think tie-breakers are going to be a factor between those two teams.

8. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The great thing about runs like the one Dallas is on is that they totally screw up those of us trying to look at average points per game played and such to predict a possible outcome.

Stats are fine, and fun, and I love reading what Knave has done for this thread. But the game is still played on the field.

I'd love to know how much Dallas' points-per-game has changed in the last six weeks. It's like they are a completely different team. Perhaps the Dallas fans will elect Hyndman mayor of Frisco.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Fair enough. And I'm on record elsewhere wondering whether things will only get worse for DCU -- i.e. that the team could implode or meltdown on the field. (I actually sort of expect this.) So it would not surprise me personally if they lost 4 home games in a row. And all things being equal, the safe money is on Columbus next weekend. But I also know the history and the numbers and I realize that dropping 4 home games in a row like is expected just doesn't happen all that often. So that gives me rightful pause.

Point is, if you are going to entertain FCD making the playoffs, then you have to talk about DC United in the same breath. Or perhaps FCD's chances are overblown, much like DC United's.

Oh, I think the burn time of a Saturn-V rocket is something on the order of 15 minutes. When is FCD's 15 minutes up? ;) :D

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

PPG 3/21-9/5 :: 1.0
    PPG 9/12-10/7 :: 2.4 (this is the FCD winning streak, except the KC game)

PPG March-August :: 1.0
    PPG September-October :: 2.17

So the PPG has more than doubled.

11. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas

The last time Colorado won a regular season game in Dallas was over 8 years ago.

12. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Emphasis on regular season.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i almost made that comment but managed to hold my tongue (or keyboard in this case)...

14. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007

Is that the longest winless streak ever?

15. ianai

ianai Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Joe Cannon's thoughts on the season:

[​IMG]

16. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Geebus. He looks like Emeril got attacked by Africanized bees...

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No.

Chicago had a worse winless record in Dallas. They hadn't won a game in Dallas between July 4, 1999 and this year's season opener on March 21.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That sort of worries me.

FCD and the Burn have always had bad mojo against the Revs and Quakes, even when both teams outright sucked in the old days. Their all-time record against each of those teams has been phenomenally bad over the year, home or away or wherever. And yet, those are the last two wins for FCD.

So I'm wondering if the whole "reversal of fortune" thing works in reverse too.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good post, and I cherry picked the last part of it. Two points.

1) Regarding KC and Seattle, they play each other next week, @KC. The scenario you've got seems unlikely. If Seattle win the match, then they don't need points from the Dallas match. And if KC wins, they could be very much alive (depending on their Chivas result this week).

For the scenario to break as you describe, you need a KC loss to Chivas, followed by a home win over Seattle (or possibly a draw). Not necessarily unlikely, just saying, there are other possibilities out there.

2) Regarding DC, you are analyzing like a four match winless streak is so rare, it can't happen. But they are already 3/4 of the way there, and facing the league leading team at home. A more relevant analysis would be: how often were they in a 3 game home skid facing a top team? How'd they do. And I'll also point out, a draw is also a possibility, and does DC no (very little good).

However, a Crew win this week, followed by a Chivas loss, and the Crew might go less than full strength @DC with @PR in the CCL midweek. And that would certainly help.

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Now, don't get me wrong here. When I finished that long post I almost tagged a little disclaimer on it that would have read something like this: Did I of all people just write a post touting DC United's chances of making the playoffs!?! Maybe I did, but that wasn't really the point. I realize how unlikely it is for DC to make the playoffs. I've known that for - well - since September 13 when I started this thread. My point was only that: if you're talking about FCD making the playoffs, then you have to talk about DCU making the playoffs. That's not because both probabilities are in the same order of strength, but because both probabilities are in the same order of weakness. Like I said, I think this talk of FCD making the playoffs is overblown. They might make it in, especially if New England falters. But if FCD can make it in then so can a couple other teams.

Regarding your second point, that's not what I really said -- and it's certainly not what I think. I fully expect DC United to fall to Columbus next weekend. So I fully expect DC United to lose 4 home games in a row. But like I already said, I also know that 4 home game losing streaks are uncommon and that 4 game winless streaks are only somewhat more common. That means I have to admit that my expectations may be proven wrong. The point was not as you seem to have read it that it is outlandish to think that DC United will lose the game, but the opposite: it is not outlandish to think that DC United could win the game.

Anyway, all this will be a lot easier to consider once the Columbus @ New England and San Jose @ Toronto results are known. Toronto can still top both FCD and DCU.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cool. Well, KC has done their part. Columbus has a bit of a problem with who to play at DC. We have a critical CCL game midweek (though so does DC), and the possibility Hejduk, Rogers, and Moreno all play again midweek for their national teams. And Ekpo is out (though that red should be rescinded if their is any justice). And a suddenly red hot Chivas are making a serious run at the Shield.

Point being, I never assume Columbus will win at RFK, it happens so infrequently, and I'm not about to start now.

I think FCD has a better shot than DC because they are playing better, and they don't have the CCL game to worry about.

I still stand by my prediction that 2 chasing teams will catch 2 teams in the top 8. Right now I'd say FCD and RSL catch NE and Colorado. But DC do have a chance. If they win the Crew game, they have KC away, which is very doable for 42.

Winning two or losing two in a row happens all the time. No one is safe save the 4 who are already in: Columbus, LA, Houston, and Chivas.

22. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas

Man these last two weeks are going to be crazy. I think 42 points is the magic number and even Chicago isn't to that point yet. The last five spots are still very up for grabs. I think one of the four clubs on 40-41 points will miss the playoffs.

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Housekeeping

• I dropped the projected column because it’s pretty much moot at this point.
    • In the third box below I added in the home and away PPG because that actually is pertinent.
    In Brief
    • CDC has clinched. Perhaps they aren’t in “prime” position to vie for the Shield, but they are in prime position for the Western Conference title and they’re still in good position for the Shield. CDC’s schedule is quite favorable: home to SJE, away to CHI, and home to HOU. CDC is, by a hair (indeed, almost by an averaging artifact), actually the strongest home team in the league (HPPG 2.23). CHI is the third worst home team in the league (HPPG 1.3). Add in that CDC is strong on the road (5th best) and it’s clear that 9 points in CDC’s final three matches is not out of the realm of possibility. The big question is the HOU game.
    • Regarding the 8th place spot, all hell has broken loose with NER’s loss.
    • KCW is hanging on by a thread. The only reason they were not eliminated with the loss is because they hold the 38 point tie-breaker against NER.
    • RSL has returned from the dead. RSL (MPP: 43) is the only team left that can surpass DCU, FCD and TFC even if those three teams max out at 42 points each. Two additional notes: If you look at the HPPG table you’ll notice that RSL is very strong at home. They only trail CDC, CMB and HOU. RSL has two home games left (against NYR and COL). Their final away game is against a weak TFC.
    • Vultures have been spotted circling NER and TFC. Neither team seems capable any longer of winning a game.
    • Given the results, I’m thinking the practical cut-off for the playoffs has dropped to maybe 41 points. Might even go to 40.
    • The runner-up for biggest winner this week was DCU. And they didn’t even play a game. That DCU did well this week and yet did not play is perhaps more telling than ironic.
    • The big winner this week was FCD. But as noted in the very extensive discussion of tie-breakers earlier in this thread, DCU actually holds the tie-breaker over FCD, and as noted above RSL can still surpass them. Oh, who am I kidding? In reality what matters is that RSL can still surpass them.
    • There’s a bunch more stuff that could be noted on the table, but that’s all I've got for now.

Code:
    [B][U]         GP  GR W   D   L   PTS PPG   MPP M#  T#  SSE#[/u]
    [COLOR="DarkBlue"]01  CMB  28  2  13  10  05  49  1.75  55  --  --  07
    02  CDC  27  3  13  05  09  44  1.63  53  --  --  05
    03  LAG  28  2  11  11  06  44  1.57  50  --  --  02
    04  HOU  28  2  12  08  08  44  1.57  50  --  --  02[/COLOR]
    05  CHI  28  2  10  11  07  41  1.46  47  03  10  --
    06  SEA  28  2  10  11  07  41  1.46  47  03  10  --
    07  COL  28  2  10  10  08  40  1.43  46  04  09  --
    08  NER  28  2  10  08  10  38  1.36  44  06  07  --
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    09  DCU  28  2  08  12  08  36  1.29  42  08  05  --
    10  FCD  28  2  10  06  12  36  1.29  42  08  05  --
    11  TFC  28  2  09  09  10  36  1.29  42  08  05  --
    12  RSL  27  3  09  07  11  34  1.26  43  10  06  --
    13  KCW  28  2  08  08  12  32  1.14  38  12  01* --
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]14  SJE  28  2  07  08  13  29  1.04  35  --  --  --
    15  NYR  28  2  04  06  18  18  0.64  24  --  --  --[/COLOR]

GP = Games Played | GR = Games Remaining | PPG = Points Per Game
    MPP = Max Points Possible = PTS + (3 x GR)
    M# = Magic Number = (9th Highest MPP) – PTS + 1
    T# = Tragic Number = MPP – (8th Highest PTS) + 1
    SSE# = SS Elimination Number = MPP - (1st Place PTS) + 1 

- Sorted by PTS, then fewest GP.
    - Teams in [COLOR="SlateGray"]gray[/COLOR] have been eliminated from the playoffs.
    - Teams in [COLOR="DarkBlue"]blue[/COLOR] have clinched a playoff spot.[/B]
    Code:
    [B][U]Pace: Deviation from 3 at home, 1 on the road[/U]

[U]         GP  PTS HG  AG  HW HD HL AW AD AL PCE[/U]
    01  CMB  28  49  14  14  9  4  1  4  6  4  -07
    02  CDC  27  44  13  14  9  2  2  4  3  7  -09
    03  HOU  28  44  14  14  8  5  1  4  3  7  -12
    04  LAG  28  44  14  14  6  4  4  5  7  2  -12
    05  SEA  28  41  14  14  6  6  2  4  5  5  -15
    06  CHI  28  41  14  14  4  6  4  6  5  3  -15
    07  COL  28  40  15  13  8  5  2  2  5  6  -18
    08  NER  28  38  14  14  7  3  4  3  5  6  -18
    09  RSL  27  34  13  14  7  5  1  2  2  10 -19
    10  TFC  28  36  14  14  7  4  3  2  5  7  -20
    11  FCD  28  36  14  14  7  4  3  3  2  9  -20
    12  DCU  28  36  14  14  6  5  3  2  7  5  -20
    13  KCW  28  32  13  15  4  4  5  4  4  7  -22
    14  SJE  28  29  15  13  6  4  5  1  4  8  -29
    15  NYR  28  18  14  14  4  4  6  0  2  12 -38

Sorted by PCE, then fewest GP, then PTS.[/B]
    Code:
    [B][U]PPG: Home and Away[/U]

[U]         HG  HPPG              AG  APPG[/U]
    01  CDC  13  2.23     01  CHI  14  1.6
    02  CMB  14  2.21     02  LAG  14  1.6
    03  HOU  14  2.1      03  CMB  14  1.3
    04  RSL  13  2.0      04  SEA  14  1.2
    05  COL  15  1.9      05  CDC  14  1.1
    06  TFC  14  1.8      06  HOU  14  1.1
    07  FCD  14  1.8      07  KCW  15  1.1
    08  SEA  14  1.7      08  NER  14  1.0
    09  NER  14  1.7      09  DCU  14  0.9
    10  DCU  14  1.6      10  COL  13  0.8
    11  LAG  14  1.6      11  TFC  14  0.8
    12  SJE  15  1.5      12  FCD  14  0.8
    13  CHI  14  1.3      13  RSL  14  0.6
    14  KCW  13  1.2      14  SJE  13  0.5
    15  NYR  14  1.1      15  NYR  14  0.1[/B]
    Code:
    [B][U]Remaining League Schedule[/U]

[U]TEAM  WK31  WK32[/U]

CDC:  SJE   @CHI
         ----   HOU
    CHI:  @NER  CDC
    CMB:  @DCU  NER
    COL:  @FCD  @RSL
    DCU:  CMB   @KCW
    FCD:  COL   @SEA
    HOU:  LAG   @CDC
    KCW:  SEA   DCU
    LAG:  @HOU  SJE
    NER:  CHI   @CMB
    NYR:  @RSL  TFC
    RSL:  NYR   COL
          @TFC  ----
    SEA:  @KCW  FCD
    SJE:  @CDC  @LAG
    TFC:  RSL   @NYR[/B]

24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great stuff Knave.

Everyone still has a chance, because everything is so bunched.

First, at the top:

1. Columbus: 49, 2 left. 55 Max. @DC (@PR), NE.
    2. Chivas: 44, 3 left. 53 Max. SJ, @Fire, Hou.
    3. LA: 44, 2 left. 50 Max. @Hou, SJ.
    4. Houston: 44, 2 left. 50 Max. LA, (@Met), Chv.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting dynamic, Crew have clinched home field throughout, but have their eyes on the Shield and CCL advancement. Out west, one of those deserving teams won't have home field. And it could be a big deal if it isn't LA v. Chivas.

The Shield. Crew Magic number = 5 (really 4 since they have the TB's).

Crew perspective. The Crew have the edge, both on points and because Chivas, LA, and Houston play round robin against each other. One Crew point or a LA/Hou draw eliminates both LA and Houston, as the Crew have the tie-breaker on both. DC and NE are flailing, but desperate. Chivas is the real threat, and with a GIH on the last week-end, barring a SJ win @Chivas this week, the Crew will go into the last week with the Shield undetermined.
    They do play last, so they'll know what they'll need vs. NE (if anything). They need a least a draw @PR to secure qualification in CCL (or a Cruz Azul win @Saprissa). I feel pretty comfortable in the Crew's ability to get a least a point and eliminate LA & Houston.

Chivas. The only real contender, IMHO. Three wins would make the Crew get four points from the last two. The teams split in the regular season, but the Crew currently have the edge in the next tiebreaker: GD: +12/+5. They have SJ at home, and the possibility that Chicago could be locked into the #2 seed in the East (if they win/draw with NE this week), and could be looking for rest. The last game vs. Houston could be for the West #1, and both teams will have played midweek. Of course, if the Fire lose, they could be fighting for their playoff lives vs. Chivas.

LA and Houston play each other this week. If there is a draw, both teams are out of the Shield race, and the loser is obviously out. Both teams can max at 50, and lose the TB to the Crew, so one point dropped or gained is it in terms of the Shield.

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

I have to look more closely at this later, because I very well might be wrong ...

Stipulate the following:

- NER beats CHI next weekend leaving both teams at 41.
    - NER and CHI lose their final matches, so they both end the season at 41.
    - TFC and DCU fail to win out, so both end the season with no more than 40 points.

Given that, and looking at the remaining schedule, I think if things go just right that the second place Eastern Conference team could actually drop to 9th place in the overall table (behind CMB and all the Western Conference teams except San Jose).

Even if the second place Eastern Conference team just drops to 8th (I think this is possible) that means all the other tie-breaking scenarios for the 8th place spot are moot: the second place Eastern Conference team just gets in.

The Colorado games might make this all impossible, so you'd have to look closely game by game to verify this, but talk about some bizarre possibilities!