[R] Radical Idea to improve MLS OT

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by pc4th, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, no. I'm not saying they have no ancestry- but they are independent games/mature institutions now.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhhhh....what?

In other news, newbies should not start threads.

And I thought the A-League played two 10's, not two 15's. But I could be wrong.

3. Godot22

Godot22 New Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Waukegan
    The infield fly rule exists because if it didn't, there would be a perverse incentive for infielders to not make defensive plays. This scenario would happen all the time without the infield fly rule: with less than two outs and a man on first, if a ball was popped up to an infielder, the runner on first is doubled up either way. If he breaks for second, the infielder catches the ball and flips it back to first for the double play. If he doesn't, the infielder intentionally drops the ball, throws to second to force out the runner, and then over to first to get the batter.

Without the infield fly rule, intentional poor play (failing to catch the ball) often has a greater reward than good play.

In order to avoid this, the infield fly rule states that with runners on the bases and less than two out, a pop fly in the infield is an automatic out whether it's caught or not.

Football, soccer and rugby all have rules against off-the-ball tackles. Without a pass interference rule, there's no motivation for the opposing defensive back to not pancake the wide reciever at the line of scrimmage as soon as the ball is snapped. Even if you altered the rule to allow defensive players to hit would-be receivers slightly before the catch, the net result would be far fewer passes caught.

Fighting is a major penalty, not a minor penalty. And there are certain ways of starting fights (deliberate attempts to injure, for example) which result in game misconduct penalties. In any case, there is a school of thought that says that NHL teams should not be penalized for fighting because fights often happen in retaliation for cheap shots on star players; the presence of revenge-seeking goons on the other team dissuade teams from engaging in too much cheap stuff.

I'm not sure I buy this line of reasoning, but then I'm not a hockey fan.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1) there was a draw in the NFL last year. After overtime, of course. And since it involved the Steelers, I got to watch the media wrestle (oops. sorry: rassle) with it. You had the usual "sister-kissing" analogies, of course, but most interesting was the ink spent handling coach Bill Cowher's comment, "we didn't lose." It basically underscored my appreciation of ties: it complicates things in a fun way. Was it a good draw, a bad draw? Are we happy with it? Should we be? And you know, while sometimes a team can go into a game thinking "a draw would be great," most times, you can't tell how "good" a draw is until afterwards. I mean, if you blow a 3-1 lead on the road and it finishes 3-3, chances are that draw you would've been happy with kinda pisses you off, now. So whether or not soccer fans in the US are more evolved and can handle draws doesn't matter: the sport has evolved so that draws are a part of the game.

2) A-League is 2 tens, though it seemed like 2 one-hours during last friday night's match (Pittsburgh at Montreal)

3) onto other topics: most baseball fans might not be able to tell you when the infield fly-rule was implemented, but they can tell you WHY it was implemented. The opposite is true of the DH rule.

4) Rule changes that would make me stop watching soccer in the US: no offside, bigger goals, mandatory midget/dwarf goalkeepers, and 9-a-side overtimes.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. But this is not something the NFL is "moving towards". There have been several ties in the NFL since overtime was instituted in 1974 (and your Steelers were in the first one, against Denver if memory serves). The point was, this is not a new thing in the NFL. And NFL teams actually try to win in overtime.

I don't agree. Ostensibly it's because no one pays to watch a pitcher hit (but no one pays to watch Mark Bellhorn hit, either), but also because the National League was kicking the hell out of the American League in terms of popularity by 1973, and the AL wanted a gimmick.

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    How about something a little less draconian. Both teams drop a player in OT (no sliding scale, no use of hands).

And/or the team that accrued the most fouls in regulation drops a player.

If you did both, I think most OTs could produce a winner in relatively little time, and the goals would look and feel like genuine soccer goals, and whatever games remained tied, it's because there was little that could have reasonably been done about it, and you should be able to say the game deserved a tie.

And more importantly, at least one team, if not both, will almost always be dissatisfied with the result. If there's anything more alien to the whole aesthetic of sport than to have a result both teams are satisifed with, I don't know what it is.

7. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Didn't expect such heated debate about this. Anyway, when I posted this, I know that there would be a lot of hardcore soccer fans strongly oppose to this idea since it is against the rules of the game. But for the common fans (and they're growing in numbers) anything that would increase the level of excitement would be most welcome. I must say I am a common fan, though I love soccer dearly. Waking up in the middle of the night in WC 94 (on the otherside of the world then), and 02 to watch the GAME, but I don't think that make me a die-hard. Having 9 vs 9 in OverTIME (not the regular game) would not detract much from the RULES of the GAME thus appealing to the common fans and still able to keep the die-hard. Just imagine that in OT, 2 players from each side got the red card. Since we are stucked with overtime, why not make it a little more exciting and still be reasonable within the RULES of the GAME. I believe 9 vs 9 is still reasonable. Haven't you play soccer with 5 vs 5 , 6 vs 6. in the park or somewhere with your friends? Anyway, moving on. The point is this, since we are stuck with OT, we might as well make it a little more exciting (though reasonable within the boundary of the game) to attract more fans. And MLS right now do need more fans. If you go back to America first division soccer league, the NASL, they did more radical stuff to attract the fans than the idea of changing OT from the 11 vs 11 format to 9 vs 9. In 1973, NASL abolished the FIFA's offside rule and established teams in Canada against FIFA regulation. (35 yards).

What is worst, 9 vs 9 in OT or the abolishment of offside done by NASL 30 years ago?

How about this, if it comes to OT, each team would lose 2 players. The players with yellow cards would be deducted in OT (2 max). If there is 3 or more yellow carded players, the "other" team can pick which one to be deducted (except goalie). That way, yellow card can mean something. If the team have zero or 1 yellow card, then it can pick who it wants to be deducted during OT. I don't know..just throwing off ideas to be debated by BigSoccer users. It doesn't mean it is a good idea, but it is an idea nonetheless. Tear it apart if you want, make a more interesting conversation.

P.S. If (and it is a HUGE HUGE if) MLS uses this 9 vs 9 in OT, would the rest of the world laugh at us (US)? Or better yet, would USSF back MLS on this? Or would MLS be like NCAA soccer that doesn't adhere to FIFA regulations?

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. The word is "abolition."
    2. NASL had offside. They just had a line (35 yards, IIRC) that served as the halfway line serves in regular rules.

9. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Are the fans who will be attracted to the lack of overtime the same ones who were going to come once we got rid of the shootout?

Even the five minute periods are better than nothing. Sorry to imply a result, but the overtime today was pretty exciting.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I've got it! I know how to solve all the over-time problems and MLS will never be plagued with those hideous and un-American draws again.

I call it "The Shootout"!

Here's how it works. If there's a draw after 90 minutes the first thing you do is hold a coin toss to determine which side is up first. Then you place ball 35 yards from goal. The goalkeeper defends his goal and there's one attacking player at the ball. Then the ref blows his whistle and the attacking player has 5 seconds to get a goal. Once the whistle sounds both the goalkeeper and the attacker can move and the 5 second countdown begins.

The shootout will end via one of the following:

1) The player scores.
    2) Time Expires.
    3) The ball goes out of bounds.
    4) The ball touches the goalkeeper and does not directly go into the goal.
    5) The goalkeeper fouls the attacking player. A PK will be awarded if this happens.
    6) The player fouls the goalkeeper.

This repeats until one team gets an insurmountable lead or until there's a winner after 5 rounds. If the latter occurs then there'll be additional "sudden death" rounds to determine the winner.

Now THAT'S excitement! The stadiums will all be packed in eager anticipation of these shootouts. This will solve all of MLS's problems! It'll be great!

Hell, let's scrap those 90 boring minutes of glamourized kickball and just have the Shootout! The common fans will love it ...

:rolleyes:

pc4th - Here are the flaws in your logic. 1) Hardcore fans go to the games. Common fans don't. 2) Hardcore fans will shun MLS if they persist in gimmicks like the shootout and contrivances like OT of various sorts. Many already have shunned this league. It's foolish to alienate those of us who remain. Common fans won't be attracted to the league because of gimmicks like the shootout and contrivances like OT. They either get hooked on the soccer or they don't.

So basically the premises of your entire argument are deeply flawed. Fiddling with the rules and the procedures to determine the winner of a match do nothing to increase the popularity of MLS or soccer in the United States. That much has already been amply demonstrated by the history of this league and the demise of the NASL.

And if soccer played by conventional rules and regulations isn't to your liking then so be it. And if it's not to the liking of the common fans then, frankly, screw them. They don't go to the games anyway.

... ... ...

I can't believe I responded to this topic. I swore I wouldn't say anything more after those posts about the Laws of The Game ...

11. artigiano

artigiano New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    True, there have been some very radical ideas proposed here that one could easily say "go against the spirit of the game." But none of them is more alien and asenine than the commonly accepted "kicks from the penalty mark." I hate this aspect of the game and I especially hate that it has become so ingrained and accepted.

I very much like the suggestion that players with yellow cards should automatically be excluded from OT periods. And, any player that subbed in at any point for a yellow carded player should also be excluded. I also like the idea that the team with the most fouls should be forced to drop a man. But fouls come in different severity levels. So simply counting the number of fouls would not be a fair comparison.

I have heard that years ago the team with the most corner kicks was awarded the victory if the game was still tied after OT play. But players started finding ways to inflate the number of corner kicks.

I am a keeper myself. But I think OT would be more exciting if both teams had to pull their keepers and play 10 v 10 with no keepers. The OT would be 15 or 20 minutes with no golden or silver goals. And the team with the most OT goals would only be awarded 1 goal added to the official scoreline in addition to the ones scored during regulation.

12. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not in favor of OT. I hope they drop it. But if it has to stay, then the only change I would like to see is for 2 additional subs. Some players may be "done" because they played on the assumption the game would end in 90 minutes plus stoppage.

Reasons to dump overtime:
    (1) additional TV costs,
    (2) some players might "hold back" some energy in the last 10 minutes of regulation because there might be an overtime,
    (3) attempts to "Americanize" an international sport merely softens the criticism that the sport is "foreign". The correct counter should be that the sport is "international" not "foreign".
    (4) players are vulnerable to injury in overtime
    (5) many teams will bunker in during OT, producing boring play and very few winning goals.
    (6) since there is no "elimination" as in the knock-out round of the WC, there is no compelling reason to have OT.
    (7) there is no OT in the MLS playoff games in rounds 1 and 2. If there is a match tie after 2 games, I believe they go to a sudden death mini-game then to pks.

13. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you win one game and lose another you get 3 points in the standings. However if you were to tie them both you'd only get 2 points. This holds true in every first division league around the world that I know of.

Is it really true that "real football fans/leagues" feel that a tie is as acceptable as getting a decision?

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I hated the Shootout. I've grown to like overtime.

15. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted earlier by A.

I am a keeper myself. But I think OT would be more exciting if both teams had to pull their keepers and play 10 v 10 with no keepers. The OT would be 15 or 20 minutes with no golden or silver goals. And the team with the most OT goals would only be awarded 1 goal added to the official scoreline in addition to the ones scored during regulation.

Not a bad idea. I like it, but similar to my idea, it would never be realized. But since this is a discussion, I want to discuss. Let DREAM. hihihi. If I am in charge of MLS with absolute power, I would either scrap the OverTime or change overtime to 9 vs 9 or to your idea of no goal keeper. (Don't blast me for it, this is like day dreaming, not reality). Anyway, With no goal keeper, I believe OT would be much better than what it is right now. Would it turns some fans away? Probably, but it would also attract more fans to the games. We can compromise. Regulation for the hardcore, OT for the people who want a better product. OT happens maybe 2/5 games, and there is only 15 or 20 minutes in OT as oppose to 90 minutes for the regulation.

Another point, 50 years ago or so, there were a lot more goals than what it is now (soccer in general). I read somewhere that FIFA changes the rule about the "passback" from players to goalie about 10 years ago to increase goals.

That said, I am coming back to reality. I like MLS, I like OT. The only problem I have with OT is that it was created to make a winner, but for most of the OT this years, it has not. Many of the OT end up in a draw anyway. Thus, either change OT or scrap it all together. MLS will not likely change the OT, they will either keep it or scrap it. With the ways it is going right now, I say scrap it for the following reasons. It fails to do what it was created to do. It produces more injury to players. It costs extra money. It compromises the 2 hours time slot for most soccer match. The players are tired after running around for 90 minutes.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Learn it.

Know it.

Live it.

17. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is extra time in every round of MLS playoffs under the format starting this year. In the first round, 30 minutes of extra time are played at the end of game 2 if the aggregate score is tied. The semifinals and final are single matches, and 30 minutes of extra time is used as a tiebreaker if needed. All extra time is golden goal, and PKs are used if no one scores.

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    More "common fans" than "hardcore fans" go to MLS games. Screw the hardcore fans. Most of them can't get off their sofa long enough to go to a game.

We listened to them. We got rid of the shootout. We made the clock count up. We let the ref keep the time. Did it help? No... they just found something else to bitch about. That's all they are anyway, little bitches sucking at the teat of some mystical Eurofantasyland where the least reserve team player would dominate in MLS. Let them have their FSW. I'll be at *MY* game, which allows teams to settle things like men, on the field, rather than like Europeans, where everyone goes home and pretends they're all equal.

Sachin

19. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I hate eurosnobs as much as the next guy... but i have to hope (and am inclined to believe) that post was all sarcasm.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so.

And while I love the passion of hardcore fans (I wish every team had about 10,000 more of them), they would do better to not make so many demands while their numbers are so small (and not particularly seeming to grow much).

But that's also a function of the way sports is in America lately - those that don't have working-class appeal in any great numbers have become gentrified.

21. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Please don't improve it. Just dump it. So far, there have been 18 ties and one golden goal this year. OT has worked 5.26% of the time.

PK's an abomination?!?! Look, they only come in to play if neither team has managed to score in 30 minutes of additional soccer. It's more exciting than a coin toss, and just as useful. Plus, there is (relative) certainty as to the maximum duration of a match.

True, PKs reduce a team sport to individual performances, but it's usually individuals that either win or lose games anyway. (Calling Mr. Berhalter...)

22. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found out that FIFA allows soccer leagues to choose how they want to deal with draws. For many leagues, there are no overtime; but for other leagues, there are overtime. MLS doesn’t want draws (or a lot of draws) that why it sets up OverTime. It does this for the American fans. Since this is an American league, watched and attended by the American public, it must reflect the desire of the mainstream fans. American culture doesn’t think highly of tie. We want a winner. There is no tie in baseball, basketball, and mostly in football (in football, a tie happens like what, once in 4 years?), golf, tennis etc..... The only sport I can think of that allows tie is HOCKEY and it is a Canadian sport (no offense to Canada), and it is not too popular with American viewers either. (Look at the Stanley Cup rating, game 7 rating = college softball world series). My point is this: This is not Europe, we do not have a great soccer background.
    Americans grew up in a culture where tie is not very culturally-acceptable unlike those that grew up in Europe or South American. (Remember the Simpsons episode, where bart and lisa play hockeys and it ended in a tie? homers said something like you both losers, losers. and then there was a riot in the stand, one of my fav episode).

Unlike Europe, or South America, soccer have to compete with 6 or more sports that attract more viewers (baseball, football, hockey, basketball, NASCAR, golf, oh not to mention College basketball, and football). In Europe and South America., soccer is number one, number 2, number 3, number 4.....and maybe another sport be at a distant number 5. We don’t have that luxury in America. To be successful, it has to appeal to the American fans. You got to agree that most Americans hate ties. Why not just change the rule a little bit and have 9 vs 9 in overtime. MLS doesn’t even have to change the rule, 9 vs 9 do occur in soccer when players were ejected. The number 11 is not a magic number or anything. When FIFA formed, it determined that 11 is the numbers of players on the field. They could have go with 9, or 8 or 20 for that matter. All MLS has to do is ask each teams to voluntary drops two players during OT. It could be a precedent and not a rule. Thus MLS can get around the FIFA regulations. Remember that FIFA allows each league to determine how they resolve draws.

Unless we can attract the soccer fans that is out there (the 20-30 millions of Americans that plays the sport) MLS will not be successful. Just compromise. I don’t believe changing 11 vs 11 in OT to 9 vs 9 will drastically transform SOCCER into something-not-Soccer. It still soccer. If not 100% soccer, then it is 99.9% soccer. And people, IT IS OVERTIME. In regulation, it is 100% FIFA approved, in OT, the only difference is 18 people on the field instead of 22.

There are not a lot of hardcore fans out there. Within those that are hardcore, many will probably diss MLS anyway, and watch European soccer only. Then there is the other hardcore fans that support MLS. If you support MLS and want to see it grows, accept that this is AMERICA, and soccer in AMERICA needs as much supporters as it can gets. And most of the supports are new to the sport, they won’t mind if there is 11 vs 11 on the field or 9 vs 9.
    Got a question for you all. Granted this is BIGSOCCER, most if not all are really into soccer, and about half are hardcore MLS fans. IF MLS does change from 11 vs 11 to let say 9 vs 9 in OVERTIME, would you still watch MLS or would you say that this is a disgrace to the game and boycott MLS?
    For me, I would still watch it and probably like it even more. To many Americans, unlike Europeans and South Americans, soccer is a product, a sport, and if a sport can be alter to make itself better, then it would attract more viewers, pure and simple. If pepsi (sponsor of MLS, just want to use it as an example) found a way to make Pepsi better, (though it would turn some people away but got more people into it) would that benefit Pepsi or not?
    I seriously believe that 9 vs 9 in Overtime would be better for MLS than 11 vs 11.
    Does anybody know how games this season went into Overtime, and how many of those games still ended in a tie?

23. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, didn't even realized I wrote that much until I saw the whole thing.

anyway
    Posted by Hattrix.
    Please don't improve it. Just dump it.

this whole post was on the assumption that MLS will not scrap Overtime and we are stuck with it.

So far, there have been 18 ties and one golden goal this year. OT has worked 5.26% of the time
    thanks for the statistics. (you answered my question before I even asked it) MLS either need to do something about the tie, or just get rid of it. It is not working. Personally, if they can improve on it, that would be best. If not, scrap it.

24. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Not necessarily that we're stuck with it, rather it would be preferable, for the sake of increasing the appeal of the game to the most casual of fans (which is necessary for the survival of the league, I believe), that the possibility of a draw is greatly reduced from what it is in league conditions that do not break ties after regulation.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moreover, tie games in the NFL are rare, very rare. Last year's tie was the first one in several seasons.

I don't see any evidence that ties are somehow becoming more accepted in American sport. College football got rid of the tie game in the mid '90s with its equivalent of the shootout. The NHL has been trying its best to wipe out regular-season ties (and in the postseason, ties have been outlawed for so long, it's not even worth considering). Basketball and baseball have always played unlimited overtimes by rules.