[R] Official Crew - Fire Reserves PBP & Post-Game [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MD_05, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Sack Andrulis.

Well done Crew. If you have to go out that's the way to do it. I agree that it would have been ideal to have Razov leave requiring medical attention, but Crew made their point.

2. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Interesting take, CP. I distinctly remember a Crew usher working on breaking up the fight just after it started. Same usher was back when the Fire dork came back to give more flowers.

Taking the banner was bunk, I agree.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, when Crew score 6 straight goals, you don't hear a peep out of Fire fans.

Columbus is a massive club.
    We don't need the playoffs, we got beer.

4. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Gotta agree, FF. This was more an indication of potential - nobody want's six scored against them in one half. OTOH, the Fire's regulars would have adapted better to the 3-4-3 and been more dangerous on the counter. The ball and player movement was a thing of beauty in the 2nd. A mirrior image of the 1st.

5. giaguara

giaguara New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Cork
    The "Stomp you feet"-light may not have worked correctly ...

6. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Actually, the Crew didn't play all that badly in the first half. They were unlucky to give up both goals. And they had as much possession as Chicago.

In the second half, Sarachan obviously called off the dogs, and the Fire sagged on defense. I mean really sagged. They played defense like the Washington Generals or an All-Star team. Their goalkeeper was very weak. It's great that the Crew converted on enough of their chances to score six goals, but it wasn't MLS soccer. The Fire were extremely obliging.

Crew players got to showcase their abilities, which was great, because it's difficult to see them when MLS teams are defending at full strength. The real questions should be who should the Crew keep and who should they let go.

I only got to watch a couple of Crew games this year on ESPN, so I'm probably not the best judge of Crew talent. (Even if I watched all the Crew games in person, I still wouldn't be the best judge of Crew talent.) But I suspect that West and Williams should be the first to go.

Earlier in the year and previous years I've seen Mike Clark confidently march up the field and turn the ball over. Today I watched Frankie Hejduk confidently march up the field and turn the ball over. Yes, he did get one shot on goal, but if the Crew are going to play a 4-4-2, they still need a defender or two who can come forward and add something to the attack, not simply turn the ball over. When will they find one?

I've rarely seen Brian West contribute. Why is he still on the team? Should the Crew play him at right back (and Hejduk on the left)?

Mark Williams seems to be more of a problem than a help. Is McCarty worse? Was Dunseth?

Martino just doesn't look to be sophomore-of-the-year material. He's a decent player, but a disappointment. The Crew still need a stronger player in his position.

I've always liked Garcia. He always gets some decent shots towards goal, if not on goal. Trouble is, he's often wild with the ball. I think his offense generally outweighs his turnovers, but apparently it's been another disappointing season for Garcia.

If the Crew had a faster defensive midfielder to replace Maisonneuve, perhaps they could play a 3-4-3 all year long.

At least the Crew had one great pick-up this year in Paule.

I was surprised to see Traeger play as well as he did. At #58 in the draft, he looks like a keeper.

I don't know what to say about McCarty, Chacon, Akwari, or Walsh.

While everyone is upset that the Crew missed the playoffs, the glass is still half full. The Crew scored as many goals as they gave up and if the outcome of one game was reversed the Crew would be .500 and be better than four other teams in the league. You have to admit that the Crew gave up some freaky points this year. Of course, they won some games they shouldn't have as well.

By the way, what's the deal with Cunningham?

7. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God I hope not.

8. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    ...and the balls, head, neck, and chest. My worst nightmare could only be accompanied by this and Marilyn Manson rubbing is schlong on my face.

9. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I think Mark Williams' consistency simply cannot be overlooked. In the rare MLS match that saw only one caution, Williams stepped up to the plate and garnered his Arby's-esque five-for-five. That, my friends, is leadership. I can only hope we have two-three more years of such fine leadership.

10. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd just like to interject my thanks to the Crew for finally let me see them win a game while I was in the stadium, this season. It felt good.
    Oh and great signs everyone. I brought someone who'd never been to the stadium, and he thoroughly enjoyed it. Atmosphere was good, except for a few people who don't know how to behave properly in public. :/
    Oh, and Fire fans suck, yeah you were loud, but you all are ugly, the Crew fans are much more attractive than you.

11. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    How many fire fans set eachother on fire?

12. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    True. That's why I said, put it in perspective. Indiana also didn't want 600+ yards offense rammed down their throats but they didn't have the personnel to stop it. The Fire "C" team didn't have the firepower to stop our starters when they're pissed and looking for blood. I don't think that Thornton would have stopped 2-3 of these goals (Garcia's for example) and Bocanegra would have taken Jeff out on his goal (without the benefit of a Crew PK based on experience).

I did like their style, their ball movement and the finishing in THE SECOND HALF. Pretty much everything looked good in that half but I'd like to see them do it CONSISTENTLY next year under a new coach.

13. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    New Coach

I am thrilled that DC has made into the playoffs for the first time in several years. But I don't believe that Ray Hudson is the right coach for DC long term. In fact, I think he'd do great in Columbus next year.

Ray's biggest weakness is developing younger players. Ray also prefers to coach free-flowing attacking soccer. I think he would be a great match for the Crew next year: veteran players who like to play to score, then score again.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have been 1-0 to Columbus in the 15th second. We could have easily had 8-9 goals.

15. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before a line of retorts comes out of that post, let me first say that it's been said that this is the last year Ray Hudson might coach. It's been reported that he might leave soccer for a while for health reasons. So before people get up in arms, just know that I really really doubt that this would happen.