[R] LA/Col -- Brian Hall

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by midwestsurfer, Nov 5, 2005.

1. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Well someone on the Galaxy definatley got thrown on the ground before the kick occured, but if he's calling something he should have given a free kick.

The only thing I can think of, is that often times referees will blow the whistle, go over to the players who are in the midst of a WWF match, and say watch it.

Who knows.

2. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's it.

3. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who caught that. I was afraid I was hearing things. What a jacka$$! 19freakin82!

4. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    What I found hilarious is that Brian Hall is the present ref of the year. Who was the 4th official? Abbe...the WORST ref ever...yet somehow MLS awarded him ref of the year also.

The weakest part of MLS is not the players, quality of play, lack of competent front office officials...no it is the lack of referees. Unless MLS solves this massive problem, you can't take the league seriously.

Screw the World Cup, and everything else, this is Garber's number one issue this off-season, and I have no clue how you solve it. I can only think paying quality money to european refs to come here.

5. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd be interested to see, if they did do this, how it would affect overall play over an entire season.

6. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

It's possible that Hall's performance in this game was not overt incompetence. I really felt he had a strategy that just kept changing: first it was "I'm going to call every bit of contact between opposing jerseys" to "that was a bit much, maybe I'll rest my whistle for a half hour or so". He just couldn't make up his mind.

7. FutbolArbitro

FutbolArbitro New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Silicon Valley
    Except that's not how the laws work. If the infraction occurred before the ball was kicked, then it can't be a foul since the ball must be in play for a foul to occur. Regardless of what happens, if play has been stopped for a particular restart (in this case a corner kick), that restart is the only restart that can occur.

8. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nope...Kevin Stott will take those duties

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am not a fan of either team and I thought he called a good game.Fair and steady.The red you all want was not clear-cut.Could be called either way.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The red isn't for being the last man. It's for Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity (DOGSO.) Given the angle, and the other Gal defender in the area (albeit not near the play) I don't think that was a DOGSO foul. Certainly, it wasn't a play where you can bash the ref...he had a second to make the call, and at worst it was a borderline call with the shading toward red...but plenty of room for a yellow.

The Cunningham dive was terrible, tho.

Since we're discussing the contrast between Hall's rep within MLS and his international rep, this is the place where I bring up that leaked memo from 2002. If those policies are still in effect, I put the blame for inconsistent refereeing on the MLS front office, not the refs.

11. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always thought Brian Hall was a pile of crap.

He almost single-handedly ruined this game.

Marshall was red card - it was a clear tackle from behind and arguably a clear goal scoring opportunity.

The called back corner kick is debatable - but least the guy ended up on the ground unlike the DC v Fire game.

What was worse to me was when the ball smacked off Hartman's face and went out on the endline. Hartman was down for several minutes and yet Hall awarded a goal kick when he had minutes to figure out that the ball went out off Hartman's face.

MLS refs are crap.

12. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Quick call Peter Nowak, he knows how to handle this. :eek:

13. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I believe that call was because the ball had rolled over the endline right before it was kicked into Hartman's face. The fact that both teams started walking up field after it went out, before stopping for Hartman, seemed to indicate that the Rapids weren't objecting to the call.

Which also makes Chris Sullivan's comment "Lucky it didn't go off his face into the goal" a silly comment, since the play was already dead.

14. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Worst part of the Cunningham dive was that Hall didn't use the 4th official who was standing right there and had a better view of the play.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, have you watched any soccer in the last 6 years? Despite the FIFA directive, this is NEVER called. NEVER. A player might get a red for a VIOLENT tackle from behind, but he'd get a red for a violent tackle from the side, too.

I just can't believe that a bunch of bigsoccer geeks are trying to get a red on that play for a tackle from behind. It's unreal.

Argue it was DOGSO, OK. I disagree, but a case can be made. But unlike a tackle from behind DOGSO really is a red card violation.

16. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Exactly, it is very clear in the replay. The ball was out before Denton shot it.

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

If someone's going to blast a referee for missing the obvious, maybe they should take a closer look at the ENTIRE play before doing so. Duuuuuuuuh...

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, just looked at the Marshall incident again...

For my money, that's a red card.

I think you CAN make an argument for DOGSO. Noel beat him cleanly, was headed towards goal, and with one or two more steps would have been able to cleanly take an attempt on target before the next Galaxy defender would have been in a position to make a play.

But even more so, that's a chop from behind with the studs -- it's serious foul play.

I think the point made earlier is telling: Maestroeni didn't get sent off, so neither did Marshall. I guess it was somewhat consistant on Hall's part.

19. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What memo?

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I can't believe I am defending Hall but, had it been a foul, Ugo would have deserved it for persistent infringement.

Hall himself didn't have an angle but a sideline assistant should have booked Jeffro for this.

Of course, two weekends ago, Ronaldinho earned a PK with a similar dive.

Not to sidetrack this but Jeffro played too deep and too often with his back to the goal, which was Clavijo's fault.

Kirovski just sucks.

21. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it any worse than a bigsoccer geek deliberately misconstruing what other posters have said in order to reinforce his image as a pompous dick? Because that's what you're doing. It wasn't merely a slide from behind. It was a violent tackle - studs into ankle with no chance of playing the ball. Quite clearly, most people here thought it was a dangerous tackle, not merely a tackle.

22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, if things were different they wouldn't be the same.

23. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    While I didn't think this was a great performance from Brian Hall, I think it's worth noting that he played advantage on the play in the first half where the Galaxy ended up scoring. If he blows the whistle, that goal doesn't happen. That was a nice non-call. Still, there were a lot of head-scratchers in that game.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it came out just before MLS Cup 2002, so you'll have to forgive me if I forget most of the details. Basically, the league was discouraging refs from sending off players, among other things. I'm sure the guys in the ref's forum will have a better memory, if not a link.

I remember starting a thread right after that Cup. Franchino was carrying a yellow when he clotheslined Cobi as Cobi had him beaten. Absolutely, positively, has to be another yellow and a send-off, was close to a straight red...but there was no card. My thread was something like, did anyone else immediately think of the memo after that play?

There's a reason our ref at the World Cup got very good reviews, and gets crap reviews here. It's because in MLS, he can't ref by instinct. He has to filter what he sees through MLS policy.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point. The "from behind"-ness of the play isn't relevant. The violence is, and so is whether or not it was a DOGSO foul.