[R] Everton v Wigan 30, Aug.

Discussion in 'Everton' started by Jondi10, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Jondi10

Jondi10 Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Rome, GA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a disappointing start of the season hopefully the boys will come out ready to play this time. Both of our news signings are set to make their debut in this game. I don't expect Billy to start but I could see him making a second half sub. But with only 1 true CB, Distin will have to jump right into the team. I'm expecting the line up to look like this:

Code:
              Howard
    Hibbert-Yobo-Distin-Baines
    Osman-Cahill-Neville-Peanut
                Screech
            Jo/Saha
    Now matter how much I'd rather have Cahill playing in the AM position I can't see it happening anytime soon.

2. Jondi10

Jondi10 Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Rome, GA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Straight from the OS here's both lineups

Everton: Howard, Hibbert, Baines, Yobo, Saha, Distin, Cahill, Neville, Pienaar, Osman, Rodwell Subs: Nash, Bilyaletdinov, Jo, Gosling, Fellaini, Duffy, Agard

Wigan Athletic: Pollitt, Thomas, Scharner, N'Zogbia, Gomez, Boyce, Bramble, Rodallega, Melchiot, Diame, Figueroa. Subs: Edman, Cho, Scotland, Koumas, Sinclair, Kingson, King

3. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Rodwell rather than Fellaini then, from what you wanted.

1 person likes this.
  4. JasonD

JasonD New Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Dammit, i leave for a few minutes when we were controlling play and I come back and we're losing...what the hell happened??

1 person likes this.
  5. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Goal against the run of play. Gomez almost made it 0-2 but struck the post.

Saha ties the game with a header from a Baines corner.

Fellaini on for Osman, 20 minutes left.

6. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Penalty to Everton! Jo is adjudged to have been fouled.

Baines converts it, 2-1 Everton. Full time.

Bilyaletdinov came on with about 5 minutes left for his debut.

7. YankToff

YankToff New Member

Apr 9, 2005
    Georgia(ex Saluki)
    that was a ballsy, but correct, call by Lee Probert. Boyce clearly didnt get any of the ball.

Bilyadetinov looked great; celebrating the penalty with Baines. Hope he plays more than 6 minutes next game. This team looked pretty good in stretches. Fellaini with that pass showed why he might we worth nearly what we paid for him last year. Osman's fault for the goal, hey, i'm 12 yards out from goal; surely my man isnt in a goal scoring position and i can just let him go. Cahill should have broken his duck with that free header on 73 minutes. Glad to see Saha come off; it's always thrilling when he leaves under his own power without an injury. Distin looked like what he is; a PL veteran.

Wigan should have made it 2-1 right before the penalty. Sinclair with his head down saved us. Wigan did not look good at all and seemed to think they were playing good opposition with the kicking they were doing. Scharner's card should have been much earlier in the game. They'll stay up but it's got to be hard on them changing from Steve Bruce hoofball to Roberto Martinez football.

1 person likes this.
  8. SoFo

SoFo Member

May 19, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not one of these guys who thinks there should be a penalty every time someone is breathed on in the penalty area, but this one was clearly deserved. As the announcer said, Jo invited the foul, and it was delivered. Clearly a foul and clearly consequential to play.

It was a fair result. I thought Distin had a good presence, especially in the first half. Osman was poor on the goal against. Neville was nothing special. Cahill struggled. Fellaini made a difference when he came on.

9. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm normally not the religious type.

But it certainly seemed as though God was on our side today. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    out of the drop zone. yeahhhhhhhhhh

1 person likes this.
  11. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thank You Hecate too!!!

I'm not one of those "he breathed on him give a PK" ppl as well, but it was a foul. Jo did invite it and a smart defender wouldn't give it. oh well. sucks to be that defender!

we have 2 weeks off, can you imagine how distin and billy will fit in after playing with the team for a bit? Distin was first person to Saha after his goal, looked ecstatic :) I liked that - Distin is french right? did he and saha play together? didn't see Billy get to baines, but glad to hear it!

OH. EM. GEE!!! This season may just be a fun one after all!!! I mean Yak is back on the ground (getting match fit but still) Mikky will be back end of next month or so, and Jags in Nov. Rodwell is looking ********ing Ace, I hate saying it, but he progressed past Danny-boy over this offseason. and you know i love me some danny gosling!!!

Bloody brilliant. once we settle down mentally and start playing to feet more - like we were last season - we're going to be a force. when was the last time i was actually optimistic and not just saying it in the hopes i believed it... hmm... not sure.

COYmfB!!!!!!!!!

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good win and desperately needed for the boys.

I thought we dominated the first half, but as has been the case so far this year, just couldn't finish. The goal by Wigan seemed to wake us up, but I think their shot that hit the post really got everyone's attention.

I haven't ever seen a five on two watching this game, and now I've seen one, and I've seen it blown. What was Sinclair thinking? As I'm watching, my first thought as I saw the run coming was "And there goes the game!"

The PK call was correct, and it was well taken. I'd love to see this team get off on a nice run, but with three of the next four (after the break) on the road, it won't be easy...

BTW, was it me or did Goodison seem quiet most of the game. Nervous?

13. JERMAIN*DEFOE

JERMAIN*DEFOE New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Poor choices by Sinclair but even poorer movement by the supporting attack. Not one guy went round the outside of him.

14. SoFo

SoFo Member

May 19, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't there on Sunday, so I can't say for sure, but on occasions when I have been there, a lot of the fans are VERY nervous. They expect (or hope for) a big win, and if it isn't 4-0 by 15 minutes in, they get nervous.

15. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great way to win..... well done by Jo and nice pass by superfro!

Osman didn't have his best game.... love how hard he plays, but I'll be happy when he starts games on the bench... I'm hoping we'll get to see Bilyadetinov on the left with Pienaar running relentlessly up and down the right side...

Upward and onward is where we are heading..... it's going to be a good season despite the rough start....hopefully...ha.

Oh...Jack Rodwell looks like an upcoming star.... not just starter....awesome. Keep him and Fellani together and you have a nice pairing to continue to build around in the future.

1 person likes this.
  16. thetoffees

thetoffees New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Rodwell is indeed a star in the making, though I am hoping he doesn't get too much attention in case any of the sky four decide they would like to buy him!!

The result was the only important thing on Sunday,

Now Moyes should focus on getting some players in then regroup, assess what we are left with and get ready to start the seaosn properly after the international break.

1 person likes this.
  17. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Anything of notice from Bilya ? I know he only played 5 mins or so.

18. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't really get a chance to show anything, but I'm hoping he gets a real good look on the left side... move Pienaar to the right... Osman to the bench.. then Arteta gets back and slides back into the middle....

then you have to decide on Rodwell, Cahill, Felhani and the Captain..... two of those would start if we continue with one striker.... and there you will soon have the choice of Yakubu, Jo, Saha and Anichebe...

If we can make a good run in Europa, FA and so on.. there should be plenty of playing time for everyone... nice to finally have some depth....