(R) College Hockey 2003-2004 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Zenit, Oct 7, 2003.

1. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    The reason we are seeing players leave this year is because the CBA is up after this year and the rookie pay will be hurt big time. So agents want players to leave now and get the big money.

2. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't there going to be some type of retroactive action against all salaries after this year? It seems like if they just changed all future salaries/benefits it would be a long time before any of the changes started to have a financial effect.

3. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    OK, so who's in the Frozen Four?

4. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denver and Minnesota-Duluth are playing in the first semi-final and BC and Maine in the second.

5. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denver beat UMD 5-3. I didn't see it, but judging from some comments on the USCHO boards, the ref didn't exactly cover himself with glory.

Guess I'll be pulling for Denver in the final. Yes, Maine and BC are in Hockey East, but their fans are insufferable and beyond insufferable, respectively. ;)

6. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My condolences to the BC fans whose team couldn't get the job done while playing in their own backyard. NOT! Now if Denver can knock off the Black Bears (doubtful), that would make for a perfect end to a crappy season.

Boston University Terriers: 2005 Beanpot, Hockey East, and National Champs!

7. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Well, it was doubtful that the Pioneers would knock off the Sioux.........and that happened.

8. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it happened again. Congrats to the Denver Pioneers for beating UMD and Maine en route to their first NCAA title since 1969!

9. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    I'd say that the two week rest Denver got missing out on the WCHA Final Five was the biggest factor in them winning it all.

10. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    You may be right CRays. It seemed to help them heal lots of nagging injuries, especially to Caldwell, who's about to have surgeries on both knees. As well as DU was playing late season, they were picking up lots of those nagging things that are a complete PITA. Add that while it would have been another great experience in a great atmosphere, not going through the intensity of the final five may have allowed them to refocus and rest.

Fish, the city of Denver thanks you. In a pro sports town, DU gets forgotten, heck I wonder myself why they're playing in the Sun Belt for D-1 hoops when their nearest rival is 600+ miles away in Las Cruces, NM. But large parts of Denver really got captivated by DU's run. Great to see, a class program in all respects.

Looking ahead: Though I still consider myself somewhat neutral, no ties to either school, want both to do well since that helps college hockey out here, I want to see Denver-CC at the Pepsi Center next year, especially if there is a lockout. That would really keep the momentum for college hockey in this state going.

11. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I wish that you would've been right! :)