(R) College Hockey 2003-2004 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Zenit, Oct 7, 2003.

1. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    BEANPOT!!!

Couldn't score tickets this year unfortunately so I'm stuck watching on NESN...

2. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOOHOO!!!

CMon EAGLES!!!

Bring on the Warren Towers Bastards!

3. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see, Grasshopper.

My pick:

BU 4, Suburban Jesuits 2

4. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Top 10 rankings in the CIS as of Feb. 3

1. ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 21-0-1 (30-0-1)
    2. WESTERN ONT. MUSTANGS 16-3-0 (20-9-0)
    3. LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 15-3-1 (22-5-2)
    4. OTTAWA GEE-GEES 15-3-2 (16-6-2)
    5. ST. FRANCIS XAVIER X-MEN 15-6-3 (18-7-3)
    6. SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 13-7-4 (18-11-4)
    7. UQTR PATRIOTES 12-4-3 (14-6-4)
    8. UNB VARSITY REDS 14-7-3 (19-8-3)
    9. SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 14-8-2 (17-8-2)
    10. YORK LIONS 11-3-4 (14-10-4)

5. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Wisconsin Hockey Sweeps No. 1 North Dakota

MADISON, Wis. - The Badger men’s hockey team carried its momentum from Friday’s exciting 4-3 overtime victory into Saturday’s game, winning the series against the Fighting Sioux with a 5-2 victory at a sold out Kohl Center. Goalie Bernd Bruckler (Graz, Austria) tallied 41 saves in the contest, while freshman Robbie Earl (Los Angeles) netted his fourth goal in the series. The Badger’s leading goal scorer Ryan MacMurchy (Regina, Sask.) scored his first goal in twelve games. Attendance:15,237

6. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope to see you in the tourney this year. I'd love to sweep you.

Fucq BU

7. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to BC on the Beanpot

A great game tonight, and a super performance in beating BU in the Beanpot Final. Sean Fields stood on his head to keep my Terriers in the game.

So BC now has 13 Beanpots. By 2016, if BC wins every year, they can match BU.

8. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see the game last night, but by all accounts BC totally, completely dominated everywhere except the scoreboard.

Here's this morning's Globe article. Shots were 52-13 BC, hit at least three posts, and had a goal disallowed. The other Boston schools will be happy to know that Sean Fields is now done with Beanpots.

9. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lesson, as always...

It sucks to B.U.!

[​IMG]

Great game by Fields, but BC definitely deserved the win.

10. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a great game. I was on the edge of my seat, burying my face in my hands everytime I'd hear the ding of a puck hitting the post/crossbar. When they disallowed the goal, I swear the PA announcer sounded like some malevolent pro-BU deity denying us justice. But thankfully...

A 94 BC grad I watched the game with was doing everything in his power to jinx BU by wearing red, drinking outta BU shot glass, not saying much, etc. I, myself, wore my BC/ND T-shirt from 93 (THE DAY OF INFAMY), I thought maybe wearing that bad luck shirt would reverse our fortunes against the Warren Towers/Narsyphillis BU Bookstore ScumBastards.

And it did. So, as it stand for this year, 4 outta 4 against BU. I'd love for them to make it to Hockey East Tourney so a pleasureable and yet to be done 5 outta 5 could happen.

Here's something from the New York Times a couple of weeks ago:
    "Boston University is Struggling"

...Boston University dropped both ends of a
    home-and-home series against archrival Boston
    College last weekend. The defeats, by 5-1 and 3-2, left BU reeling and laid bare it's shortcomings: lack of offense and subpar goaltending. Adding injury to insult, Boston College was without two standouts, Ben Eaves and Dave Spina, and Patrick Eaves left Saturday's game early after blocking a shot with his sternum. Coach Jack Parker told reporters after the game "Maybe if BC loses four or five more people, we can beat them."

Achai!

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Awesome game. One of the most thoroughly dominating performances I've ever seen by any hockey team at any level, were it not for Sean Fields BC could have put up double digits.

So the 3rd Fleet tournament BC (last year's Beanpot and HE tournament) has been involved in since I've been a student here, the first one I haven't been able to get tickets to, and the first one where we haven't been knocked out by BU. Looks like the Babcocksuckers will be stuck playing us in the first round at campus sites if they even make it to the HE tourny this year, but if I score tickets for the Fleet games and we lose in the semifinals or finals I might have to play it safe and watch the Frozen Four on TV this year....nah, who am I kidding.

12. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Minnesota State - Mankato has to be the dumbest team in the country. I think they've ended 6 power plays tonight by taking penalties of their own, just about all of them bad and undisciplined. There was a bit of 3 on 3 caused by 4 separate penalties for :23 a bit ago. Denver has kept digging all night and has taken Mankato apart so far, up 4-0 early in the third. Tied for 9th in the pairwise, Denver needs these 8 points vs. dregs Mankato and Michigan Tech to get into position to have any shot at home ice in the first round.

In other notes, BC won 5-2 at UMass tonight, maybe taking control of Hockey East in the process.

I got my seats for the regionals in Colorado Springs this week. Up at the top of World Arena, I think 5 rows from the very top, but at Center Ice. In a building that reminds me of Conte Forum minus the bleachers up high, any seat's a good one. Can't wait, but really hope Denver or CC qualifies and is sent there, ensuring the house will be packed.

13. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Hey, Jeff:

What's going on?

UNH tied Merrimack, 3-3. That was at the Mack, I think.

Maine beat a tough Northeastern team at Matthews, 3-1.

UMass goes to BC tonight. I'll tell you what, UMass is a good little team. There was a scrap in the corner during the UNH game last week. Aduba, who happens to be one of two black players on UMass, and someone from UNH. It wasn't out of control. But who came flying in to clean house and keep the peace for the Minutemen? Sean Regan from Southie. Warmed my heart, it did.

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Northeastern has a very good chance to beat out BU for the last spot in the Hockey East tournament.

I'm guessing yelling "our black guy (Bret Peterson)'s better than yours" wouldn't go over too well tonight.

15. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Peterson is a good player. So are Mauldin and Aduba for UMass. All Massachusetts boys, as well.

Is BU terrible or what? And their fans are left chanting "BC sucks" on Monday night. Lot of class. I wonder if they'l ever fill that new sheet on Comm Ave.

16. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, that was UMass-Lowell, and they were the home team. Last night the two played another 3-3 draw, at the Whittemore Center this time.

UML really is a team that's a lot better than their record, since they forfeited 9 games (including 5 wins) for using an ineligible player. They're a heck of a lot better than they were last year, and whoever gets them in the HE playoffs (Maine looks most likely) had better be careful.

Yep, they got swept by PC this weekend. It the start of the season, I don't think there was anybody suggesting that their home-and-home with Northeastern in two weeks would likely decide who stays home.

17. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    BC vs. BU = USA vs. Mexico

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Nope. No winning team = lucky to bring in 2500. And hardly a peep from their fans.

Any other candidates for the Frozen Four back east besides BC?

West: Looks like I may get a look at Duluth and CC over the weekend. While they've struggled a bit, being a young team, beating North Dakota on the road has to help CC crawl within striking distance of the top 12-13 in the Pairwise. 2 at home with Duluth, 2 at Cloud, home and home with Denver, ground is there to be gained. Denver survived a 9-7 game with Mankato on Saturday, but has work to do. 2 at home with Minny could help their pairwise ranking.

19. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Hold on a minute, Alex. BU produced four guys by the name of Silk, Craig, O'Callahan and Eruzione. Do those names ring a bell? While we're it, one of the 9-11 victims was a BU hockey player, Mark Bavis. Also, one Tony Amonte, of your Flyers, is a BU boy. Scored the winning goal for Team USA back in the WC 96. Go easy, my man.

Jeff, Maine could challenge. They could be there. I still think UMass could make some noise.

20. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    All true, but I'm talking in terms of the nature of the rivalry and the relationship the two teams and their fans share with one another. One side could give a flying crap about the other except when it comes to the sport in question, while the other holds a deep-seated grudge/inferiority complex practically as part of its very identity. One team has traditionally been dominant over its neighbors in the given sport, pretty much the only area where it has historically enjoyed an advantage over its more glamorous and successful neighbor, and has even enjoyed success on the larger stage, but in recent years has been dominated by the neighbor even in that sport. One team whose fans aren't above a bit of taunting but never take it too far and whose players are known for class and gentlemanly behavior win or lose, and one team...well, what can I say about Mexican soccer, BU hockey, and the punkish fans of both teams that hasn't already been said. One team's fans chant against the other even when the two teams are not playing one another.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the contributions BU's hockey program has made to US hockey and to the Flyers (altho I hope to God Freddie Maiser never knows the privelege of pulling on the orange and black)--in fact, a few weeks ago I was lucky enough to be part of an audience that included Dave Silk for a sneak preview of "Miracle" at the Park Street theater--but there are a lot of parallels between the US-Mexico soccer and BC-BU hockey rivalries.

21. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
  22. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell are you talking about? BU fans show up and cheer for their team, even during an off year like this one. And win, lose, or draw, the spanking new Agganis Arena will pack it in night after night.

What kind of 'peep' are you looking for? For BU fans, it's been a tough, tough year. Even storied programs have an off season.

Here are BC's records from 91-92 to 96-97:

14-18-3
    9-24-5
    15-16-5
    11-22-2
    16-17-3
    15-19-4

The last time BU had three consecutive losing seasons was 79-80 to 81-82. Give me a break already!

23. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I grew up in Massachusetts. About the only time I ever heard anything from the majority of BU fans was after a big win. A loss, and it was like the team didn't even exist.

24. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do hope that BC v BU happens in the Hockey East. I'd love for a season sweep or a season Zamboni.

Go Eagles!

25. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Okay, I headed down to Springs to see CC-Duluth. UMD is for real, for the few who aren't convinced yet. They didn't do anything that made you jump up and say this team kicks ass, but they did and everything well. From getting the puck out of the defensive zone to the transition, not going overboard on offense and forgetting to backcheck, to winning faceoffs, you name it. Outstanding positional hockey within a team concept. The power play pretty much owned CC. And in their own end, I don't think they lost more than two faceoffs all night. Played as a complete unit all night. They can get to Boston in April, believe me.

On the way back, I caught the end of the CC postgame radio show. They mentioned that at one brief point tonight before all the games were over, BC, Maine, and North Dakota were tied for #1 in the power rankings.

For the Colorado teams, CC is in a practically do or die situation tomorrow night. To have any chance to move into contentios in the Pairwise, they need the win vs. UMD. Denver puzzles me. Don't ask me how they tied Michigan Tech. A win wouldn't have helped their pairwise, but a tie only puts them in sixth place by one point. The WCHA is just wild this year.

$5 beers at World Arena, but they are 24 ounces, with the possible exception of the Bristol Brewing Company ones (I had a Killians). That's a side benefit.

BTW if any other Colorado people read this, I talked to a NCAA guy briefly. ~ 1500 tickets remain for the regionals. Somewhat impressive since both local teams, especially CC, are VERY iffy to make it at this point (presuming that a CO qualifier stays in CO to safeguard against a repeat of Madison a few years back). Hell, CC only has a chance because their last 6 games including tonight are vs. top 12 teams.

Saw some HE highlights while in World Arena. Merrimack got a key win, but it doesn't look like they did much to refurbish their home digs. If not, it's a credit to Serino et al to even keep that program competitive with everything that works to their disadvantage. At least when I lived in MA, all it consisted of was wooden bleachers. An oversized D-3/State (Janas in Lowell, Franklin) rink at best, where you went outside to warm up half the time, vs. Whittemore, Conte, et al. I give them all the credit for doing what they do vs. UNH, Maine, the Boston schools, you name it.