(R) College Hockey 2003-2004 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Zenit, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F All Y'all as well.

As a BU alum ('91) and longtime fan, I'm here to say...

1) We're having a crappy season, especially after losing to UMass at WBA last night.

2) I'm glad the hatred, er, rivalry seems to be strong on the boards. That's what make college hockey great.

3) BC seems to be having a great year.

4) Back in October, all you BC fans we're blowing smoke about how BU fans don't show up to home games. When school is in session, BU fans show up and are among the most loyal and vocal in the nation.

Don't know if folks in Chestnut Hill College actually cheer for their team these days, but back in my senior year (1991), some of my loyal Terrier fans and I went up to Kelley Rink for the BC-Alaska Anchorage 1st round series. After AA scored, you could have heard an f-ing pin drop. The 7K BC fans in attendance were mutes the entire game, despite the scoreboard imploring them to cheer. After AA won, the entire team skated over to our corner to cheer the 10 BU fans that made more noise than the other 6,990 in attendance did.

BC has had a renaissance over the last few years, and clearly BU is having an off season, but the rivalry part of what makes college hockey so great. Can't wait for Feb 9 when the dogs put yet another 'Pot on the shelf.

WOOF!

2. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr Fish, welcome to the college hockey thread. It's about time we actually had a BU fan around here.

3. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    Holy Cross will be a possible school that gets invite to ECAC. Non scholarship school will fit right into the ECAC.
    Findlay is dropping its hockey program. CHA will be down to 5 schools and without a sixth school will loss its automatic bid. Possible schools to replace Findlay are Robert Morris a new D1 hockey school next year and Quinnipiac of Atlantic Hockey.

4. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Bad news for the Wolverines. The rights to Tambellini were shipped from Spokane of the WHL to Kelowna at the trade deadline today. It is believed Tambellini will leave Michigan and join the Rockets soon. This is still just a rumour, but Tambellini was quoted saying he'd go to a Memorial Cup team only and since he was just acquired by one, it seems to follow his school days might be over.

Still Mantoya's a helluva goalie.

cheers,
    hobbes

5. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Re: F All Y'all as well.

Ha.

Not the way you played at Cambridge in November. BU made a mid-table Harvard team look like the 1989 champions (Young, MacDonald, Donato etc.).

6. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I wonder when the "other shoe" drops: the Ivy League joining the small schools like Quinnipiac and Mercyhurst and Union in the new ECAC while Hockey East gets UVM, RPI, and St. Lawrence.

7. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: F All Y'all as well.

We all know how even mediocre BU squads get up for the Beanpot. Watch for #27. Feb 9th!

8. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UNH beat Providence last night 5-3. Easily the best I've seen them look since November.

9. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off Topic

Hey, BC fans!

Take a gander at the bottom of today's AP NCAA Basketball poll and you'll find...

Also receiving votes:
    Boston University: 2
    Boston College: 1

THAT's funny.

10. quackman

quackman Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Michigan Daily reports that Tambellini is staying at Michigan.

11. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Sioux/Gophers this weekend.

I say the Sioux sweep 'em. But it's always a tough series.

12. quackman

quackman Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, that's going to be an awesome series. I wish I could watch it. (Not that I'll be unhappy watching the home and home between Western Michigan and Michigan, I just wish I could watch both.)

13. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely the biggest games of the weekend, nationally. All the HE teams are either playing out of conference or against someone at the other end of the standings.

14. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    The best hockey teams come out of the WCHA......

:p

15. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I have no expectations for tonight, that didn't stop Northeastern two weeks ago.

16. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    The Sioux goal should have counted.......

17. adam

adam Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Minneapolis
    The first Minnesota goal Friday night should've counted.....

Guess that evened out, eh?

18. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Na, we still would have beat ya......

What was the deal with the ice on Friday night?

Got seats for Denver behind the Sioux bench for Friday night.....I'm taking the 7 year old.....he's pretty excited. He didn't move very far from the TV during the Gopher series.

19. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so if you follow Hockey East, you may know Northeastern has been hot of late (7-2-2 since they got off the schneid). But you're probably also saying, "Hey, they did a lot of that against cupcakes and EZAC teams, how good have they really been?" And I said, "Good question. I'm kinda curious myself."

KRACH is a very handy tool for doing this sort of thing, because I can take a team's overall rating, plug in Northeastern's results over that 7-2-2 streak, and calculate what their rating is over that set of games.

The results are in -- NU's rating is a smoking 429.5. To put that in perspective, compared to the full-season rankings, it would put NU in 5th! :eek:

And if you're saying, "But that's pumped up by the win over BC!", well, you're right, but only to a point. I changed that over to a loss, and NU's rating did drop precipitously, but only to about 250. That would still be good for 11th, which I'd say is still not too shabby.

I would have posted this on USCHO, but those boards seem to be down at the moment and I wanted to get this off my chest.

20. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong.

The rule states that when the puck is played with a high stick, it is only waved off if an opposing player controls the puck.

21. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Opposing being the defense.........

IMO it wasn't a high stick, just a bad call.

Anyway, I'd rather lose now than when it counts.

22. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caught bits of both BU-Maine games this weekend. The first one was only interesting as an illustration of just how bad BU has been at times this season. The 2nd game was of more interest to me, but only because of the mele that broke out with about a second to go. It seemed as though every player on the ice except Sean Fields (Maine had pulled their goalie) got a major and a game misconduct, which means that some of Maine's best players (Colin Shields et al) should be suspended Friday night.

23. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game misconducts do not carry a suspension, so if that's what the penalties were (doubtful if it's because of a melee), there won't be suspensions.

Game disqualifications carry the suspension.

Edit: The box score identifies them as misconducts, so we'll see.

24. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I figured that out from other sources during the day. Saturday night, even the announcers weren't sure, so I got hopeful.

25. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    10th row behind the Sioux bench. Hopefully we can handle Denver, but as usual it'll be a tough series.....